PDA

View Full Version : RODI system difficult to change filters

bsmom
12/27/2015, 02:22 PM
I've been treating RODI systems as disposable units because it is very difficult for me to turn the wrench and remove the housing to the sediment/carbon filters. Question is this. Are there any type of units that are made out of a different plastic or mold that is easier to take apart or assembled in such a fashion i.e... having the threads lubed to make them easier to take apart? Just wondering before I go ahead and buy another cheap one.

vhuang168
12/27/2015, 02:24 PM
Canisters only need to be tightened to hand tight and maybe another 1/8 turn after.

shifty51008
12/27/2015, 02:25 PM
Why dont you buy the lube for the threads? There shouldnt be any reason they are hard to remove, mine are only hand tight and dont leak.

bsmom
12/27/2015, 02:28 PM
Maybe they would be easier to take apart and lube before I use them. I will try that next time.

Scorpius
12/27/2015, 02:46 PM
I've overtightened my RO/DI canisters before and let me tell you it serves no purpose other than to frustrate you when you need to change filters.

Buckeye Hydro
03/12/2016, 05:58 AM
Use food grade silicone grease on the ORINGS, not on the threads.

Do you have a housing wrench? As long as you lube the orings and have a wrench, removing the housings should not be a big deal at all.

Russ

sleepydoc
03/12/2016, 08:47 AM
Canisters only need to be tightened to hand tight and maybe another 1/8 turn after.

I've overtightened my RO/DI canisters before and let me tell you it serves no purpose other than to frustrate you when you need to change filters.

Use food grade silicone grease on the ORINGS, not on the threads.

Do you have a housing wrench? As long as you lube the orings and have a wrench, removing the housings should not be a big deal at all.

Russ

+1

I've found that I tend to over-tighten my RO/DI canisters making them difficult to remove later on. They're not like threaded PVC fittings; they have an O-ring that is the primary seal, you don't need to really torque them down for them to be water tight. Try tightening them 'hand tight' and turning on the water - they probably won't leak there, then just snug them down a bit with the wrench to ensure they don't work themselves loose.

Buckeye Hydro
03/12/2016, 12:13 PM
Over-tightening leads to...

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd293/BuckeyeFS/housingbrokeatthreads_zpsd54a5e8d.jpg

If you lube the orings, hand tighten the housings, and give them a little nudge with the wrench (if necessary), and they still leak, it is time for new orings.

Russ

jjvanb
03/12/2016, 08:56 PM
If after following the above advice you still find yourself with a stuck canister some day try slipping a 2 ft. Section of pvc pipe over the handle of the filter wrench. This will give you the extra leverage you need.