PDA

View Full Version : Sealing weights for in-tank use

csammis
12/27/2015, 10:48 PM
There are a few things I'd like to weigh down in my tank and sump and I'm not sure about the most reef-safe way to do that. To give everyone an idea of what I'm looking to weigh down:

The plastic canvas in my upflow turf scrubber. The upflow makes the canvas curl, weights along the bottom will fix that problem.
A PaulB-style BBS feeder - almost the exact dimensions of a deck of cards.
An eggcrate / 2-liter bottle structure that sits in my sump to hatch the BBS - works great until I suck too much water out when harvesting and then it tips over and floats off, whoops.

So far I've thought of:

Liberally coating lead shot / fishline sinkers / whatever in two-part epoxy or hot glue. Is this a durable lasting solution?
Ziptying pieces of rock to the things I want to sink. Very reef-safe but unfortunately size considerations make this impractical.
Filling small lengths of PVC with weights and cementing caps on to seal. Again size would be a problem, and attaching the PVC to things would be hard too.

Any thoughts / other ideas?

miatawnt2b
12/29/2015, 12:07 PM
I like the PVC idea best.

Coelli
12/29/2015, 12:12 PM
Glass tiles (hardware store). You could stack multiples for more weight where needed.

csammis
12/29/2015, 01:09 PM
I like the PVC idea best.

Yeah I think that was the best idea of the three I listed :) I can do PVC for the eggcrate contraption but the BBS feeder and the plastic canvas wouldn't work even with 1/2" PVC. It's just too big for the space I'm working in.

Glass tiles (hardware store). You could stack multiples for more weight where needed.

Oh I like that! I can drill holes to attach it to the canvas and cut one to fit in the feeder. I probably have some left over from my bathroom remodel too. Great idea!

chimmike
12/29/2015, 01:41 PM
coating lead sinkers would be the most cost effective and least space-wasting, IMO.