PDA

View Full Version : AquaC 240 anygood?

moosehead
12/27/2015, 10:52 PM
May purchace a AquaC 240 skimmer but would like to know what people that have had it or similar model diff size has to think about it. And might trade for bose wireless speaker worth about $300 is it a good deal?Thanks for any input

atreis
12/28/2015, 05:45 AM
They're good skimmers, if the injector nozzle is in good condition, and are very effective. The primary issue with them is they require use of a pressure pump, which results in them taking more energy to operate, and the pump adds more heat to the tank.

$300 (or equivalent) seems a bit steep. You can get one new for $400. (MarineDepot) (http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaC_EV_240_Protein_Skimmer_In_Sump_Spray_Injection_Protein_Skimmers_For_Tanks_150_to_350_Gallons-AquaC-AC1171-FIPSISSIHT-vi.html)

L8Braker
12/28/2015, 06:49 AM
Make sure you get one size above the recommended pump as I had trouble with my 1000 until I upgraded my pump. Once that was fixed it has been working amazingly! Pulls out alot

Jade5051
12/28/2015, 06:54 AM
What they said.

AZRippster
12/28/2015, 07:48 AM
I ran an EV-240 for almost 3 years. When we migrated to a new tank, there was no question about replacing it. They work, and work well, when the injection nozzle is clean. We constantly battled with that. The big thing is any little snail, star, or other small critter that gets from your sump into the intake and to the skimmer can cause it to stop functioning like it should. This Drastically impacts performance, and we used a Mag-18. I've also noticed over the past year that the www.proteinskimmer.com website no longer seems to be working correctly. Their homepage is there, but that's about it. I'm wondering if they are even in business any longer. I would give them a call first before making a decision. I will say, they always provided me with great customer service. I also own 2 of their RX-1 calc reactors which work very well.

moosehead
12/28/2015, 08:02 AM
Thanks alot guys for the input, sounds like i should just hold off on it. Don't need anything to not work correctly as i work out of town and the wife would have to deal with it.

gcarroll
12/28/2015, 03:13 PM
If you have a filter sock or even a foam filter on the pump intake, it should never be an issue.

I have had 2 AquaC skimmers on my tank over a period of approx 5 years. They were awesome skimmers. If you are going to get the EV240, as suggested, get the Mag 18 pump. The Mag 12 will suck on that skimmer.

The energy usage is an issue but not as bad as you might think. When the pump is commented to the skimmer, it will pull roughly have of it's rated power. If you don't live in an area with extremely high electrical rates like California, it's not much of an issue.