PDA

View Full Version : hanna phosphate checker vs salifert?

Johnb123
12/29/2015, 10:06 AM
i read a lot of positive reviews about the hanna checker then i realized it uses a reagent you have to keep buying every time you check it is it really worth it or is salifert fine?

Golfman12
12/29/2015, 10:44 AM
I've used both but the Hanna kit is really nice if you want to get low phosphate readings. The salifert is a cheaper option but it will just give you an approximation of your phosphates. So just depends on how exact you want the measurement to be.

Ebone
12/29/2015, 10:47 AM
I love my hanna ulr I use it to get my "real" numbers.... but when I am just looking for a ballpark number I do use a less expensive kit that gets me close enough.

jason2459
12/29/2015, 10:52 AM
My review of various PO4 test kits

PO4 Phosphate Test Kit Shoot out: NYOS Elos Pro Salifert Hanna Checkers Seachem
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2540702

Johnb123
12/29/2015, 11:09 AM
Thanks guys and amazing review Jason! I now want the Hanna checker again lol though how do you feel about replacing the powder agent every so often?..

shifty51008
12/29/2015, 11:15 AM
You buy the reagent packs in 25. So you get 25 tests per pack. No diff than buying a new salifert kit after they run out, just cheaper.

That being said i like the hanna over salifert or the redsea, the color matching can be a pain. But with even that said, if you have algae you have phosphates so ive learned my tank over the years and rarely check phosphates anymore, maybe once every 2 months or so.

slief
12/29/2015, 11:16 AM
If you buy a Hanna Checker, be sure to get the HI736 ULR Phosphorus Checker. It's much more accurate for our ultra low levels of testing and it's the only Hanna checker that is designed 100% for marine use and is designated as a "Marine Checker". I've been using the ULR checker for years now and have found it to be very consistent and accurate when compared to other Po4 test kits. It's easy to use and the regent packs are cheap.

Johnb123
12/29/2015, 11:41 AM
If you buy a Hanna Checker, be sure to get the HI736 ULR Phosphorus Checker. It's much more accurate for our ultra low levels of testing and it's the only Hanna checker that is designed 100% for marine use and is designated as a "Marine Checker". I've been using the ULR checker for years now and have found it to be very consistent and accurate when compared to other Po4 test kits. It's easy to use and the regent packs are cheap.

do you then multiply it by 3.07?

Johnb123
12/29/2015, 11:42 AM
You buy the reagent packs in 25. So you get 25 tests per pack. No diff than buying a new salifert kit after they run out, just cheaper.

That being said i like the hanna over salifert or the redsea, the color matching can be a pain. But with even that said, if you have algae you have phosphates so ive learned my tank over the years and rarely check phosphates anymore, maybe once every 2 months or so.

you're right shifty it's just that i want to start using biopellets and want to accurately measure my phosphates as i'm scared the biopellets will completely deplete them harming my corals

jason2459
12/29/2015, 11:58 AM
do you then multiply it by 3.07?

The 736 reads phosphorus in ppb and needs converted for the phosphates in it and then converted to something we normally look for in ppm.

(phosphorus in ppb * 3.066) / 1000 = phosphates in ppm

slief
12/29/2015, 12:19 PM
the 736 reads phosphorus in ppb and needs converted for the phosphates in it and then converted to something we normally look for in ppm.

+1..

Johnb123
12/29/2015, 12:22 PM
The 736 reads phosphorus in ppb and needs converted for the phosphates in it and then converted to something we normally look for in ppm.

thanks Jason! :D

jason2459
12/29/2015, 12:28 PM
thanks Jason! :D

No problem. In that link I posted above is another link to BeanAnimal's not so positive review of the hanna checker but in it is a table break down as well. Someone also posted a nice set of tables I liked that included the +/- 0.012 acceptable error rate range as well. I find just knowing the formula and doing it is faster then looking up the table.

Also, if you have the Apex if you go on Apex Fusion and add your test results it has Hanna and the ULR listed in the drop downs for phosphate tests and will convert for you. It will round up to the nearest .01ppm. So, converted you may get 0.0185 and Apex Fusion will just round it up to 0.02 which is not a big deal but something to realize and some people thing there's something wrong.

Johnb123
12/29/2015, 12:30 PM

is there a expiration on the packets?

Johnb123
12/29/2015, 12:36 PM
No problem. In that link I posted above is another link to BeanAnimal's not so positive review of the hanna checker but in it is a table break down as well. Someone also posted a nice set of tables I liked that included the +/- 0.012 acceptable error rate range as well. I find just knowing the formula and doing it is faster then looking up the table.

Also, if you have the Apex if you go on Apex Fusion and add your test results it has Hanna and the ULR listed in the drop downs for phosphate tests and will convert for you. It will round up to the nearest .01ppm. So, converted you may get 0.0185 and Apex Fusion will just round it up to 0.02 which is not a big deal but something to realize and some people thing there's something wrong.

wow interesting to know! anyone like to give me their apex? haha!

Johnb123
12/29/2015, 12:36 PM
do you guys know which maxi jet i should use if i use it for biopellets?

jason2459
12/29/2015, 12:39 PM
is there a expiration on the packets?

Yes, there should be a lot: and exp: date on it.

and I was looking for a pic of one and came across this:
I had no idea Walmart had carried these. lol
http://www.walmart.com/ip/HANNA-INSTRUMENTS-HI-736-25-Reagents-Low-Range-Phosphate-Checker/41019862

If your packets have a straight across cut line it's most likely expired and bad. They had several bad lots back then. I didn't happen to get that issue. Newer packets have a curved cut line that extends around a corner. Makes it easier to pinch open and funnel out the reagent.

Example of the old style.
http://lcdn.shop.hannainst.com/8011557/hannainst/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/m/small-reagents_1_7.png

jason2459
12/29/2015, 12:42 PM
do you guys know which maxi jet i should use if i use it for biopellets?

Cobalt MJ1200. I would stay away from the MaxiJet branded model. It's no longer MaxiJet that we grew up with... as it is now made by MarineLand in China. The Cobalt Model is the original made in Italy and a much better product. I would stay far away from their plastic heaters though.