PDA

View Full Version : Mantis for fuge, getting a trigger ruby 36 sump

Martini5788
12/29/2015, 05:14 PM
Because my husband is the best husband in the world, I get to order a trigger systems sump for Christmas, even after he got me a tablet. Because he just rocks. I am thinking of putting a mantis in the fuge section, obviously not a peacock. I think the fuge section is 12.5x 14x 9.5 high. What is a good option for that size?

nmotz
12/30/2015, 08:27 AM
How about that small O. Havanensis that's on kpaquatics? ;)

Martini5788
12/30/2015, 10:14 AM
How about that small O. Havanensis that's on kpaquatics? ;)

Will the area be big enough long term? It will be pretty cramped and I plan on trying to grow some chaeto for pods

nmotz
12/30/2015, 10:34 AM
I think it will be ok in terms of size, O. Hav's really are small, but now that I think about it you may have a problem with it trying to jump out. Maybe try a small hardy Neogonodactylid like a Wennerae or an Oerstedii. I had the latter, and it was really cool. Sold him to a buddy who really wanted to get into the hobby. He's doing great, maybe double the size he was when I bought him and it's been less than 6 months.

nmotz
12/30/2015, 10:35 AM
I would put some red Gracilaria in there too because the mantis will change color to match its background. If you have several different colors of macro you might get a striped pattern or some other cool combination.

Martini5788
12/30/2015, 10:46 AM
Ok I'll do that. I still have some growing on the rocks in xenas tank. What about a g smithii

nmotz
12/30/2015, 10:59 AM
G. Smithii's are a little harder to find IME, but it'll certainly work for that space in the refugium. Mine was less active than my N. Oerstedii though. They do have nicer coloration however, and Dr. Caldwell said they were his favorite Gonodactylid.

Martini5788
12/30/2015, 11:18 AM
I went on blue zoo yesterday and put in notifications for when they get them in. I'm not in a hurry by any means. The tank isn't even cycling yet. So In a few months when everything is settled down I'll look. I have been contemplating put harlequin shrimp in the display and keeping cc starfish in the sump to feed them. I assume that I can't keep a mantis and starfish together right?

nmotz
12/30/2015, 11:27 AM
Starfish will be ok with a mantis. I have heard horror stories of CC starfish eating ornamental shrimp (and even fish) but I think a mantis will be able to defend itself. I have a harlequin shrimp and they are tough to take care of in my opinion. It's tricky because they are really, really cool, but their starfish diet is tough to maintain. I've been trying to keep mine fed with Asterinas and he eats like 3-4 of those a day. But if you switch to CCs you have to worry a little about the half dead starfish rotting in the tank and fouling up the water. That's why most people cut legs off the starfish I guess.

Martini5788
12/30/2015, 11:32 AM
Starfish will be ok with a mantis. I have heard horror stories of CC starfish eating ornamental shrimp (and even fish) but I think a mantis will be able to defend itself. I have a harlequin shrimp and they are tough to take care of in my opinion. It's tricky because they are really, really cool, but their starfish diet is tough to maintain. I've been trying to keep mine fed with Asterinas and he eats like 3-4 of those a day. But if you switch to CCs you have to worry a little about the half dead starfish rotting in the tank and fouling up the water. That's why most people cut legs off the starfish I guess.

Yeah that was gonna be my plan if I decided to do them, which is a big if. I would get 2 adult cc stars, and cut
Off 1 leg a week.

nmotz
12/30/2015, 11:40 AM
Here's what I have going on in my 5G. My Harley is now probably double the size that he is in the picture. I had 5 Sexies but one committed suicide by jumping out of the tank recently. I also have a little Bumblebee shrimp, which is really cool and also eats starfish occasionally.

nmotz
12/30/2015, 11:42 AM
Also managed to get this mangrove to root and leaf out, but I think I may move it to my 40B.

Martini5788
12/30/2015, 12:03 PM
That's pretty sweet. If I ever set up a nano, in going to get sexy shrimp. They are adorable and hilarious. I want to do chaeto because I want to have a mandarin in the dt eventually.