PDA

View Full Version : Which RO/DI system???

ninjamunky
12/31/2015, 08:40 AM
I'm looking to purchase one today. Was looking at the LiquaGen on amazon. I like the price and that they're built in U.S.A. Anyone know anything about this brand?, looks like they get good reviews.

Is it worth the extra $$$ for the 6-stage or would the 5-stage be sufficient?

ninjamunky
12/31/2015, 10:00 AM
Actually thinking of going with this one now. http://www.amazon.com/Koolermax-AR-122-6-stage-Aquarium-complete/dp/B00U1TPBZY/ref=lp_11144109011_1_1?srs=11144109011&ie=UTF8&qid=1451575497&sr=8-1

thegrun
12/31/2015, 10:17 AM
I would spend the extra money to get a system that has an extra DI canister which will pay for itself in less than a year in resin savings, has a pressure meter, TDS meters and flush valves, all which are essential in my opinion.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-6-stage-universal-plus-ro-di-system-75gpd.html

shifty51008
12/31/2015, 10:20 AM
The di stage is pretty worthless, you want horizontal containers. The way those are setup you will only use about half the resin.

Look at units from:
Buckeyehydro
Spectrapure
Bulkreefsupply
The filter guys
Air water and ice

2 main things you wanna have in a rodi unit is a tds meter and a pressure guage. Those things help you know when to change out the filters. Also look for a 75gpd unit, those membranes have the best rejection rate.

Pet Detective
12/31/2015, 10:29 AM
Shifty, did you mean vertical containers because those DI cartridges were horizontal or did you mean you DON'T want horizontal canisters?

leviburns89
12/31/2015, 11:12 AM
I would also recommend the Bulk Reef Supply units. They are super solid, built in usa, and use very high quality fittings. And they are very very reasonably priced.

They also are one of the only brands that have all certificates backing their work.

shifty51008
12/31/2015, 11:12 AM
Sorry, yes vertical. Up and down. I need sleep lol.

joeysreef
12/31/2015, 11:57 AM
I have the BRS 4 stage 75 gal one. It's great and it's on sale a lot

ninjamunky
12/31/2015, 12:17 PM
OK guys thanks for the info. I'll keep looking for now.

jsnrho82
12/31/2015, 12:18 PM
I use a Water General that I got off eBay. I do agree that a pressure gauge and TDS meter are important, but both can be added separately if the price is better to do so. Also, get a dual TDS meter so that you can read both input and output TDS.

shifty51008
12/31/2015, 12:21 PM
I use a Water General that I got off eBay. I do agree that a pressure gauge and TDS meter are important, but both can be added separately if the price is better to do so. Also, get a dual TDS meter so that you can read both input and output TDS.

I had one of those units till the houseing cracked and flooded my basement.

CafeReef
12/31/2015, 12:27 PM
spectrapure, they have great deals on refurbished units.

CafeReef
12/31/2015, 12:29 PM
I had one of those units till the houseing cracked and flooded my basement.

im working on setting up a semi DIY automation setup to where if my RODI unit leaks, a valve will automatically shut the water supply off. just to avoid this very situation.

Pet Detective
12/31/2015, 01:55 PM
Just so you know, Brand names for these units, are just that, Brand names, they almost all use the same membrane (Dow Filmtec) & the sediment, carbon block & DI resin replacement cartridges are pretty standard, again maybe different brand names but the housing size is the same, sediment filters come in different micron sizes 1,5,10, etc but are a standard size, you choose which one you like, carbon block, same thing, DI resin is usually color changing (dye) or not, but they are all made up of the same two components, Cation & Anion, in other words, the same across the board no matter the brand. What is important is 4-5 stages, (I use 4) flush kit, to lengthen the life of the membrane, & the GPD of the unit, 75 GPD is widely considered the best because of the waste to pure water ratio, this is what I use as well, I bought my unit a hundred years ago & I couldn't tell you what brand it is if you had a gun to my head, I've interchanged canisters & housings & hoses more than a few times, but the water coming out is ZERO TDS...the only real important thing. Find the best price....... inline TDS meter & pressure gauge are handy but not absolutely necessary, sometimes the handheld TDS meter is cheaper if you don't already own one.

I know some of the RO/DI unit sponsors are going to chime in & give me crap, but I speak the truth.....the only thing I did not mention was chloramines, that changes your specs a bit too, typically 2 carbon blocks which then becomes a 5 stage.

jason2459
12/31/2015, 02:00 PM
The di stage is pretty worthless, you want horizontal containers. The way those are setup you will only use about half the resin.

Look at units from:
Buckeyehydro
Spectrapure
Bulkreefsupply
The filter guys
Air water and ice

2 main things you wanna have in a rodi unit is a tds meter and a pressure guage. Those things help you know when to change out the filters. Also look for a 75gpd unit, those membranes have the best rejection rate.

All that minus the you want vertical DI mistype as mentioned. Any one of the vendors sell quality and similar housing.

After that I would recommend the spectrapure RO membranes. The sediment, carbon, and DI I have no preference on where I get them and all of the above are great. I have gotten great customer service from Spectrapure and Buckeye Hydro along with Bulk Reef Supply. I would trust RO/DI advice from Spectrapure and Buckeye Hydro over BRS though.

CafeReef
12/31/2015, 02:51 PM
this brings up a valid point, I have a Spectrapure 4 stage 90 GPD unit. Chloramine concerns? are there addon's I can do?

jason2459
12/31/2015, 02:58 PM
this brings up a valid point, I have a Spectrapure 4 stage 90 GPD unit. Chloramine concerns? are there addon's I can do?
You'd have to check with your water supply company if they add chloramine or just chlorine. If just chlorine no worries.

CafeReef
12/31/2015, 02:59 PM
You'd have to check with your water supply company if they add chloramine or just chlorine. If just chlorine no worries.

Thanks, I know for fact they add chloramine. Im thinking about ordering a .5 micron carbon filter, my setup came with a 1 micron. I havnt started using it yet. From what spectrapure's site says, the .5 micron will take out low level chloramine.

Nick92515
12/31/2015, 02:59 PM
Here is a link the the unit i bought about a month ago, works great, price point was a concern for me, comes with a pressure gauge but no tds meter. got good reviews on this forum and elsewhere.
http://www.amazon.com/AquaFX-Barracuda-Aquarium-Filter-GPD/dp/B0043G2D66

Pet Detective
12/31/2015, 03:03 PM
Thanks, I know for fact they add chloramine. Im thinking about ordering a .5 micron carbon filter, my setup came with a 1 micron. I havnt started using it yet. From what spectrapure's site says, the .5 micron will take out low level chloramine.

Yes, adding a 2nd Carbon block either before or after your current carbon block, 1 micron or smaller will work.

CafeReef
12/31/2015, 03:06 PM
Yes, adding a 2nd Carbon block either before or after your current carbon block, 1 micron or smaller will work.

what about running only a .5? so then stages would go filter, .5 micron carbon, Ro, DI

Pet Detective
12/31/2015, 03:09 PM
Sure Cafe, that is what you have now, the smaller .5 carbon block works but will exhaust faster, hence a 2nd carbon block, say 1 micron first, then .5 would give lengthened cartridge effectiveness. My water doesn't have chloramines added to it....yet, but if & when it does, I'll just add the .5 or 1 micron carbon block inline.

jason2459
12/31/2015, 03:19 PM
This is a good thread.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2483520

And I would talk with buckeye hydro or spectrapure who also has a rep and a sponsor section on these forums. I have no experience with chloramines to make any suggestions on what would or would not work.

Buckeye Hydro
01/13/2016, 05:22 PM
Ideally you'd get an add on housing kit, and install it upstream of your system. Move your sediment filter into the new housing, and install a Chloraguard block where your sediment filter was.

Russ

A.Astore
01/13/2016, 07:20 PM
Here is a link the the unit i bought about a month ago, works great, price point was a concern for me, comes with a pressure gauge but no tds meter. got good reviews on this forum and elsewhere.
http://www.amazon.com/AquaFX-Barracuda-Aquarium-Filter-GPD/dp/B0043G2D66

This is the one we are running with no issues at all as well. I was happy with what we got for the price and seems just as sturdy as all the rest. The nice thing is just because the sticker says one thing you can still put whatever you want when you replace the media. Keep an eye on it though should you narrow it to this one if you have a little time because the price fluctuates a good bit!

leviburns89
01/13/2016, 11:08 PM
@ petdetective

The brs units use all nsf certified parts, and all fittings are genuine Murlok fittings. These cost around $5 per fitting. Most off brand units use fittings that cost below 50 cents. And the units themselves are not certified in anyway.

So for $150 you can get a product that is made in usa (jobs), fully certified (nsf, cc, etc) and backed by a true lifetime warranty no questions asked.

I'm not sucking up to BRS, many of their products are overpriced, and over promoted. BUT I will say, all brs branded products are backed by their warranty, and for $150, there's not much arguing, there's just no point.

jsspallina
01/13/2016, 11:20 PM
i would spend the extra money to get a system that has an extra di canister which will pay for itself in less than a year in resin savings, has a pressure meter, tds meters and flush valves, all which are essential in my opinion.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-6-stage-universal-plus-ro-di-system-75gpd.html

+1