PDA

View Full Version : Looking for opinions on the Neptune Systems AFS Automatic Feeding System

Mayberry
12/31/2015, 02:07 PM
Anyone using one of these? How do you like it? Alternatives?

dougc
12/31/2015, 02:12 PM
I like mine. It has been trouble free. I had a SuperFeeder before that it tended to get clogged. The AFS doesnt require much maintenance.

AZRippster
12/31/2015, 02:14 PM
So far so good, no real complaints. I haven't really ever owned any alternatives though.

cardiffgiant
12/31/2015, 02:42 PM
Mine did what it was suposed to for almost a year. It's really loud. Kind of sounds like a garbage truck is dumping a tiny amount of pellet into my tank 4 times a day. Mine wore out within a year. Neptune had me do all kinds of trouble shooting through back and forth emails. It doesn't seem like a great design. The motor runs for a while to make one rotation, as opposed to the eheim feed air that turns once to feed.

I couldn't find my receipt, so neptune charged me $40 to repair it. They gave me a RMA form, which had the wrong address on it, causing it to be helpd up by USPS for over a month. I mailed it in September and don't have it back yet.

I'll continue using it because I like being able to program and crontrol the feeding through my controller, but I'm not impressed with the quality or their service.

As someone who is a big fan of neptune products (I also have the DOS and the WAV), I'd recommend saving your money and spending $30 on the eheim feed air.

Coelli
12/31/2015, 02:54 PM
As someone who is a big fan of neptune products (I also have the DOS and the WAV), I'd recommend saving your money and spending $30 on the eheim feed air.

Is that the same as this one?

http://smile.amazon.com/Everyday-Feeder-Programmable-Automatic-Dispenser/dp/B001F2117I

slief
12/31/2015, 03:03 PM
I've had mine since they were first released a few years back. It's been used everyday since then for supplemental feeding and hasn't skipped a beat. It works great and is easily setup and programmed. I've used other autofeeders before and like this one the best by far. If you have an Apex, the convenience of the AFS with it's simple programming and the ability to spot feed via a feed timer any time you want make it worth the expense.

AZRippster
12/31/2015, 04:14 PM
It has to be the integration wit Apex that Neptune built into this feeder that makes it what it is and cost what it does as this puppy looks the same to me.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/intellifeed-aquarium-fish-feeder-with-6v-power-adapter-lifegard.html

jimbow
12/31/2015, 05:17 PM
How much the Neptune hold? IE can I go away for a week and not need someone to fuss with it?

slief
12/31/2015, 05:28 PM
How much the Neptune hold? IE can I go away for a week and not need someone to fuss with it?

It holds quite a bit. I fill mine with a mix of New Life Spectrum pellets and Formula 1 pellets every few months and feed once a day.

AZRippster
12/31/2015, 09:37 PM

Oh yeah, unless you have a HUGE tank and feed a bunch, you're set.

cardiffgiant
01/01/2016, 01:16 AM
Is that the same as this one?

http://smile.amazon.com/Everyday-Feeder-Programmable-Automatic-Dispenser/dp/B001F2117I

That's the one. I used one for several years with no problem

oseymour
01/01/2016, 05:18 AM
Poorly designed product and not worth the cost. A lot of people seem to dump all the food in the tank when trying to adjust it. Also Neptune gives you a hassle to repair the unit.