PDA

View Full Version : Red Sea KH C-algae and monti's

Scubareefman
01/01/2016, 03:35 AM
I've been tracking my KH and would like to slowly raise it about 1.6.
I have a soft coral heavy tank but I do have some monti's that I don't want to damage. My tanks 1 year old and only has c-algae in small specs in a few places. I want to color it up.

Any advice?

dkeller_nc
01/01/2016, 09:03 AM
Coralline algae can be encouraged in the same way that one would encourage the growth of stony corals. One simply needs to provide the proper spectrum lighting of medium to low intensity, and maintain the calcium and alkalinity of the tank water at or slightly above natural seawater levels.

The lighting you already have is probably suitable; it needs to be weighted toward the blue spectrum as would be appropriate for any marine tank with photosynthetic corals.

The calcium and alkalinity levels need to be maintained at 400 ppm and 7 dKH, respectively. One can go higher than these figures; many reefers keep their calcium concentration at about 450 ppm and their alkalinity in the 8 - 10 dKH range.

tmz
01/01/2016, 01:57 PM
You can raise it with baking soda or soda ash( baked baking soda) or the alkalinity part of a commercial alk supplement of your choice. Just use the calculator to determine the amount you need to use for a specific increase:

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chem_calc3.html

Also, I'd keep the raise to .5 dkh per day. You might get away with more if you wish to go faster.