PDA

View Full Version : Losing the battle from Macro algae...

Hollywoodxl
01/01/2016, 11:12 AM
Hi All,

Since a couple of months this macro algae is growing in my tank... ( 40gal)

http://myalbum.com/photo/EsocAfxv1wsm/1k0.jpg

Im battling this with a yellow tang, hermit crabs snails.. etc.. but even my sea hare doesn't even look at it...

Ca you guys help me ID this (horrible!) Macro algae? It now start tot reach my SPS corals ...

Parameters are fine ( NO3 = 1 po4 = 0.02 - seems a little high for an sps tank, but i had it @zero and sps didn't colour up en started tot show STN.. with these values everythning started to grow and colour up)

piquesegue
01/01/2016, 04:12 PM
Hello,
i can't find the exact name again, but i think this algae belongs to the Genius Halimeda, means it's calcareous.
A nice one for us macro-lovers! :D
Well, in an SPS tank, i agree it can be a pain...
A change of salt may help, i lost some algaes this way... or eventually keep Ca and Mg a bit lower, the corals will probably live with it, just grow a bit slower...
I'll try to find its latin name again.

Hollywoodxl
01/02/2016, 12:03 PM
Hello,
i can't find the exact name again, but i think this algae belongs to the Genius Halimeda, means it's calcareous.
A nice one for us macro-lovers! :D
Well, in an SPS tank, i agree it can be a pain...
A change of salt may help, i lost some algaes this way... or eventually keep Ca and Mg a bit lower, the corals will probably live with it, just grow a bit slower...
I'll try to find its latin name again.

Thx for the reply! hope you find the latin name... i bought a ucherin (tripneutus) today and it looks that its eating it...

piquesegue
01/02/2016, 12:36 PM
Ooooook, it took me a bit of time but i found it! :D
I think it's called Udotea javensis, sometimes also called Rhipidosiphon javensis.