PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a 45 gallon tank for peacock mantis shrimp

Tfrawley
01/01/2016, 03:40 PM
Looking for tips for mantis care such as live rock arrangement, feeding and food type, tank mates, etc. Any help would be appreciated!

Optic
01/01/2016, 04:53 PM
If you read through the thread I started you might get a few ideas from there. I'm sure people will post here as well but until then you might learn more about them

Kharn
01/01/2016, 05:54 PM
If it's your first mantis shrimp my suggestion would be to go with an easier to care for long term species :) just so you get an idea of what their like to care for.

As far as commonly available species of mantis shrimp are considered I rate 'peacocks' as the most difficult to care for long term, there are more difficult to care for species but as I said "As far as commonly available" and those species which are harder to care for then peacocks aren't very common in the hobby.

nmotz
01/01/2016, 09:34 PM
Looking for tips for mantis care such as live rock arrangement, feeding and food type, tank mates, etc. Any help would be appreciated!

Here's my 40B set-up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27ejOxSlTQY

Frozen clams/mussels/shrimp/krill/octopus soaked in Selcon is probably the cheapest option. Live brine shrimp are usually appreciated by smaller mantis shrimp (i have some video examples of that too). They also like smaller emerald crabs, snails, etc... Just be careful that you get small specimens so that the mantis can break through them. Mantis shrimp usually display favoritism towards certain prey items and may ignore others. It's impossible to say exactly what your exact specimen will want to eat, just try different stuff to figure out what it prefers.

Put anything in the tank with it that you don't mind losing at some point. Mantis shrimp are opportunists and may tolerate fish or inverts for a while, but eventually they'll probably kill them. Fish seem to be less at risk with smaller mantis shrimp and even some Peacocks will tolerate them but it all depends on the individual.

My Peacock will kill anything that gets close enough for it to catch and it's always hungry. I do have one 2" Peppermint shrimp that has managed to avoid getting eaten and a 3-4" Fire shrimp that has survived, but I did recently lose a larger scarlet skunk cleaner that was foraging too close to my Peacock's burrow.

Tfrawley
01/01/2016, 09:59 PM
Thank you guys for all the tips, it was all a lot of help! ��