PDA

View Full Version : Keeping PH stable at night

splix
01/01/2016, 10:13 PM
I've been noticing a bit of a PH swing at night. I know because of the bacteria photo activity etc etc.

What are you guys doing to help keep PH stable at night though? Things I'm doing:
1. reverse light cycle for my fuge.
2. Only dose fusion 2 (for alk which has an effect on raising ph) at evening through the night.

I'm still seeing a decent PH swing of .03-.05 which I would like to try to stabilize.

sixpackgarage
01/01/2016, 10:25 PM
I've been noticing a bit of a PH swing at night. I know because of the bacteria photo activity etc etc.

What are you guys doing to help keep PH stable at night though? Things I'm doing:
2. Only dose fusion 2 (for alk which has an effect on raising ph) at evening through the night.

I'm still seeing a decent PH swing of .03-.05 which I would like to try to stabilize.

good luck.. I'm sure it's possible, but not sure if worth trying to achieve. I have a 12 hour reverse cycle on my fuge as well and still get about a .2 something swing.

Sounds Fishy
01/01/2016, 10:28 PM
From what I have learned recently,on these forums, is that KH is a much more reliable parameter to focus on,because ,PH does tend to fluctuate and is hard to stabilize .If you want to raise your PH you can help by just opening a nearby window,because that has an affect on PH.So IMO,I wouldn't dose anything to try stabilize your PH.Just monitor your KH.I agree with the reverse cycle on your fuge.

splix
01/01/2016, 10:31 PM
KH is a tad low (trying to keep it above 8) but I monitor it the most out of anything. I'm testing it 4-5 times a week easily.

Sounds Fishy
01/01/2016, 10:39 PM
I have a lot of water volume so if I test once a week I can keep everything stable.

downbeach
01/02/2016, 02:56 AM
Personally, I wouldn't chase it, but have you considered using kalkwasser? You could drip it overnight.

Isaacs55
01/02/2016, 05:41 AM
What do you have in your sump as far as macro algae?

Member No. 1
01/02/2016, 05:50 AM

Are you chasing .03-.05? Or is this a typo?
I just looked at my Apex pH graph for yesterday. Low was 8.21 up to 8.47. That was a variance of .26. I see no effects of this daily swing. As long as your Alk is stable, don't sweat the pH.

Isaacs55
01/02/2016, 05:54 AM
Are you chasing .03-.05? Or is this a typo?
I just looked at my Apex pH graph for yesterday. Low was 8.21 up to 8.47. That was a variance of .26. I see no effects of this daily swing. As long as your Alk is stable, don't sweat the pH.

+1
I just noticed that also...

You really don't need to chase ph for that matter. Just keep your parameters in check. Calcium above 400, DkH 8.5-9.5 and magnesium to at least 1350

splix
01/02/2016, 07:14 AM
ok, sounds like I'm in better shape than I thought. Calc is between 480-500, DkH is about 8 (upped dosing last night trying to get it around 9), mag is high at 1500.

I have chaeto plus any algae that has been growing on the sides in my fuge.

Looks like my PH last night went to 8.08 and now with the lights on it's at 8.11.

I'd love to use the open window to get my ph around 8.2 and keep it stable there but it's like 20 degrees outside so I cant do that right now haha.

C.Eymann
01/02/2016, 07:18 AM
if you are really concerned with it maybe either run skimmer air inlet to the outside or look into building a CO2 scrubber with soda lime

Isaacs55
01/02/2016, 07:21 AM
ok, sounds like I'm in better shape than I thought. Calc is between 480-500, DkH is about 8 (upped dosing last night trying to get it around 9), mag is high at 1500.

I have chaeto plus any algae that has been growing on the sides in my fuge.

Looks like my PH last night went to 8.08 and now with the lights on it's at 8.11.

I'd love to use the open window to get my ph around 8.2 and keep it stable there but it's like 20 degrees outside so I cant do that right now haha.

Opening a window won't bring it up to 8.2 but running your light schedule with your daytime schedule could

dlondono
01/02/2016, 07:27 AM
nightly ph drops are normal.

Do not get hung up on online write ups about ph needing to be at a very specific level.

7.8 to 8.2 is the average for a home aquarium and all tanks drop at night, the drop is minimal and part of the cycle.

walk away from worrying about PH as you are bound to commit a rookie mistake of chasing it and it will cause you financial losses and a headache.

dkeller_nc
01/02/2016, 07:42 AM
A pH change of 8.08 to 8.11 is actually within the measurement error of a pH meter and probe. And as others have said, an average pH of 8.1 is absolutely fine; many spectacular tanks that run calcium reactors have an average pH of about 7.8.

splix
01/02/2016, 07:52 AM
nightly ph drops are normal.

Do not get hung up on online write ups about ph needing to be at a very specific level.

7.8 to 8.2 is the average for a home aquarium and all tanks drop at night, the drop is minimal and part of the cycle.

walk away from worrying about PH as you are bound to commit a rookie mistake of chasing it and it will cause you financial losses and a headache.

Thats the truth right there haha. I've already learned that lesson.
I'd just like to start getting into more SPS and I know the tank better be stable before doing that, I just didnt know how stable. if a .05 PH swing is acceptable then I can live with that.

downbeach
01/02/2016, 08:13 AM
A good read here:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-05/rhf/index.php#6

splix
01/02/2016, 08:29 AM
Now on the side of temp, what would you guys say is a valid swing? I've got 2x 150w heaters for my primary, then another 75w for "backup heat" when the lights are off. backup heat kicks in at 79.6 and stops at 80. All of this is going through my apex so I have backup redundancy there as well.
My temp swing has been 79.6 to 80.1 from 4am to now today. My usual temps are 79.8-80.1 but it got cold last night and my aquarium is against an exterior wall so I'm sure my heaters were clocking in some serious overtime last night.

http://i.imgur.com/E4CFMEyl.png

Member No. 1
01/02/2016, 10:59 AM
You're fine. I was keeping mine tight as well within .2, but then I read an article about the temp swings coral can handle, so I opened my range up to 1. I would lower it just a tad, maybe 78-79, but you're fine.
You're gonna drive yourself :spin2: if you keep trying to chase the numbers to close.

bertoni
01/02/2016, 05:37 PM
I agree that that range is very small, and I'd just ignore the temperature swing.

AZRippster
01/02/2016, 07:35 PM
I use a calcium reactor, but augment with Kalk. What's nice about kalk is it's balanced Alk/Calc. PH will start dropping as your lights go down and especially so as the night progresses (a slowing in photosynthesis and bio activity). I start dosing a little bit of kalk from about midnight until an hour before my lights come on the next day. This works well to hold the pH a little more steady and it supplements my calc. The kalc will raise your pH. The trick is finding out how much kalk to dose, your water level, and those 2 in balance with what your calc reactor is doing.

Cheers and a happy New Year!!