PDA

View Full Version : Effect of Carbide drill bits in rock?!

aaronz23
01/02/2016, 12:37 AM
What is the effect of carbide drill bits left in aquascaped Rock?

Thank you in advance.

Member No. 1
01/02/2016, 06:57 AM
What is the effect of carbide drill bits left in aquascaped Rock?

Thank you in advance.

I'm sure the bit is carbide tipped. Carbide will not be a problem, but the shank of the bit is steel, typically HSS (high speed steel) or high carbon steel. This will rust. Also most that I see for sale are also plated, most likely zinc. So between the rust, and plating, I would be concerned. Get it out if you can.

aaronz23
01/02/2016, 07:28 AM
It took me 1 hour to drill the Tonga branch 1.5 inches deep. I plugged the hole with nylon rods and epoxied the surrounding gaps. Do u think that should be fine? Would it seap out? I believe the bits of the shank just dissolved in the Tonga branch as the dust inside the hole turned grey

Member No. 1
01/02/2016, 07:44 AM
I'm a little confused. Is the bit still in the rock? Did the tip break off? Is the drill still intact and your concerned about the grey dust?
If it's only the carbide tip in the rock I wouldn't worry.
If it's most or all of the bit, I'd be concerned that over time it could leak out, regardless of how well you sealed it in.

aaronz23
01/02/2016, 07:49 AM
Yeah It's the dissolved bit that I'm concerned about since the hole started turning grey when I soaked the rock in water and continued drilling. The two sides of the bit no longer have its ridges.

Member No. 1
01/02/2016, 12:03 PM
As long as it's not a piece or the whole bit, you should be fine. Just rinse the hole out good first. Maybe use a turkey baster to flush the hole with water.

bertoni
01/02/2016, 06:42 PM
I agree that a chunk of steel could be an issue. I'm unclear on how much of the bit is in the rock, though.

aaronz23
01/02/2016, 10:49 PM
I agree that a chunk of steel could be an issue. I'm unclear on how much of the bit is in the rock, though.

The bit pretty much melted in the Tonga branch hole. I dipped the rock every so often in a bucket of water so there may be traces of the steel bit in dust'ish form inside the hole. I nylon roded the hole and epoxied the surrounding area. Will it likely have any effect?

Thank you.

bertoni
01/02/2016, 11:14 PM
If you got out most of the dust, then I doubt that there will be a problem. Trace elements can be toxic at very low levels, though. I might run a PolyFilter for a bit if I were worried.

aaronz23
01/02/2016, 11:22 PM
Thank you for the advice :) when the tank is up I'll try a few canary monti's :)

bertoni
01/02/2016, 11:28 PM
You're welcome. Good luck!