PDA

View Full Version : New tank 110 ltr , now what too do ?

Maclee
01/02/2016, 07:04 PM
Hello RC
Mack here again ,so ive just finished cycling my new tank a 63 ltr got my first inverrebrates in and it's going nicely, Sod's law I get given for free a 110 ltr Juwel tank on a nice stand ,well happy, but now I'm faced with a decision,
Do I break the small one done and set it up again in the 110 ltr ,or start completely over new, new sand more rocks , I still have quite a bit of dry rock left but it's not cured,
The 110 ltr has a similar binnen filter to my small tank, or do I wait and maybe get it converted too a sump at a lot of extra cost ?what size sump would I need and what would I need too put in it ?? How much more would this cost ?
My idea was too maybe use the small 63 ltr as a QT as I would like the 110 ltr as my main display tank
Any suggestions or advice as too how or what would be much appreciated
Thanks mack

Bogue Chitto
01/02/2016, 08:22 PM
I think you can put the contents of the small tank into the larger tank and add what you need to fill it. You could probably use the filter you have for a while until you can get a sump for it. Just a thought, others may have a better idea.

Toga2
01/02/2016, 10:26 PM
I would use the sand and everything from the smaller tank on the larger if you plan on taking the smaller one down. You already have all that good bio/ beneficial bacteria living in your sand bed/rock might as well transfer it. recycle the pre-cycled and you will be able to increase the bio load on the tank a little faster as well. I never wait for tanks to fully cycle before adding live stock, I just take substrate from my other tanks that have already been in an established system for years. then top off my old tanks with "dead" sand. you can use panty hose to introduce live sand if your sands dont match to get the bio going. There's no real rule on sump size but most people will agree the bigger the better. Just make sure it fits all your equipment, skimmer ect. You dont really need a sump right away but look into drilling or hang on overflow boxes that will plumb right into your system for after its set up. I'm sure cpr or eshoppes makes some. I run a few tanks with no sumps and just canister filters just fine. sumps certainly help streamline the look of your tank and add water volume. Very good idea if you get bit by the coral bug. Hope this helped

Toga2
01/02/2016, 10:58 PM
Sorry I forgot, Make sure your sump can handle all the water that will flow out of your tank if you lose power lol

Maclee
01/03/2016, 10:58 AM
Ok thanks for the advice guys ��

Irishman360
01/03/2016, 03:32 PM
Or set the smaller tank as a permanent QT tank.