PDA

View Full Version : My Ongoing Build Thread

davehead86
01/02/2016, 08:36 PM
I have been wanting to start a build thread for a while now. I figure my central Illinois reefers would enjoy this the most!

I started my current tank around April of 2015 after another pet option didn't work out, I found a used 20 gallon tall tank on craigslist. Having only kept freshwater fish previously i figured i would start small and cheap with my first venture into the saltwater world. I picked up the tank, a HOB Tetra Whisper, and a metal stand for $50. I cleaned up the silicone, epoxied a few chips and filled the sucker with Tap water and added some salt. Then i went online and realized I did that part wrong, and almost everything else I planned on doing. :lol:

I let the cycle roll, started using RODI water, and waited ... waited for so long.

I got my water parameters in line and started with the traditional 2 "Nemo" clowns as my wife likes to say, and a CUC. Well the tank went great for a while and then the male clown decided to start a long slow death march. We never really figured out what the problem was, he stopped eating and was treated for parasites (along with the rest of the tank) but nothing ever changed for him and the ammonia spiked in the tank. We removed the clown and let the tank settle down for a while.

At the LFS a coral beauty angelfish caught my eye and i decided that was the fish to replace our poor male clownfish. We added the CB and a little later added a yellow watchman goby and a skunk cleaner shrimp.

At this point in time I have been completely bitten by the saltwater bug and my 2 year old is running around the house talking about "fishies" and goes crazy when we go to the pet store. My wife has no option but to give into the madness.

Ive started getting ready for the expansion to a 65 gallon tank this summer. This is where I will be posting the adventures on the way to the 65 gallon tank.

I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I have been. Please feel free to comment and make suggestions.

davehead86
01/02/2016, 08:40 PM
This is the beginning of the tank. It was originally placed in the dinning room next to the fireplace. My wife thought it would be out of sight and out of mind. :lolspin:

davehead86
01/02/2016, 08:47 PM
This is our current population.

1 Coral Beauty
1 OC Clown Fish
1 Yellow Watchman Goby
1 Serpent Sea Starfish (very aloof except when being fed)
1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
1 Hermit Crab
3 Snails

The CB is a beautiful fish and very active, it nips at the rock infrequently. I think its fed enough that it doesnt feel the need to nip at stuff.

The starfish has to be spot fed otherwise it starts to eat my snails and crabs. He is fed frozen mysis once a week and that keeps him happy.

davehead86
01/02/2016, 08:56 PM
I picked up some extra work at work and the extra income is being funneled into the expansion of the tank over the next several months. I have been buying everything that i can off this website and from craigslist.

I built my own saltwater station, this was more expensive that I initially thought they would be with the saltwater station. It cost about $200 to get the station setup properly and ready to use. There was a plumbing issue and so there was only 1 brute can that didn't have problems. This will be fixed by the time the 65 gallon is installed. Currently the fresh RODI water is kept in containers my wife gets from work that are easily filled at the LFS when needed.

I purchased a Reefkeeper Lite from here to help automate the system. It currently only keeps my heater from frying my tank but has the SLX attachment so that I can add dosing pumps to the system / ATO. I installed it on the underside of the tank for the time being to keep little finger away from it. The rest of my electronics are plugged into an American DJ PowerBar that is also mounted underneath the tank.

I found a great deal on here for a 40 gallon breeder tank and 35 pounds of live rock. Im going to clean the 40 gallon out and turn it into my sump (which will be located in the basement directly under the tank). The live rock has some nasties on it and will be nuked in a vinegar bath over a few days when the weather is nicer.

davehead86
01/02/2016, 09:15 PM
I know that I want to grow corals eventually so I needed an upgraded lighting unit. I went to the LFS and was going to get one of their lights. But after posting about it here and then looking at my dads tank running the same light i was convinced that this was not the option i wanted. I wanted a high quality light but didnt want to high quality price. I dug around here for months trying to find lights that were a good deal and came upon 2 older model Radions. They needed a DEEP cleaning and they will need to be upgraded but for the time being I am running a Gen 2 Radion above the tank.

I also finally had to buy the egg-crate light diffuser from Home depot and cut a custom tank topper to allow the lights to work properly.

It required some DIY work to instal it without buying the Radion Arm (since i wont be using arms on the new tank anyway).

I was hesitant to spend $400 on lights but I cannot sing the praises of these Radions enough. They are so easy to use and tank my tank to the next level with color. My fish even seem happier running these lights instead of the cheap-o lights i had previously.

**Dont mind the old glass top drying on the top of the tank :lol:**

davehead86
01/02/2016, 09:20 PM
Since I have the lights I have decided to add my first corals. Upon researching what can actually go with a Coral Beauty i have noticed that softies work well. I picked up a $5 RBTA that is just GORGEOUS! This guy opened up within a few hours of being in the tank.

I also decided to add a GSP frag today. The frag was quite shocked, it was Coral RX dipped in some pretty cold water (oops). Some of the branches are coming out but its probably going to take a few days for the GSP to be out and in full display.

Sun357
01/03/2016, 05:25 AM
$5 RBTA? Jealous! :)

Nice read!

davehead86
01/03/2016, 06:43 AM
Well I bought the lights from the same guy so I'm sure he did just fine letting me have the rbta for cheap. [emoji38]
$5 RBTA? Jealous! :)

Nice read!

davehead86
01/03/2016, 06:25 PM
I think i have my radions on a schedule that I am happy with and the corals will be happy with too. I don't want to ruin them, but i can't stand having constant blue lights all the time. I need some white to see what's going on.

The day starts at 10 am for the fish and ends around midnight.

The GSP has also started to peek out so its acclimating nicely to the tank. We had to move a powerhead so that I didnt have as much water movement at the spot of the GSP. My wife comments "Why dont we have a PH that can change its flow." My comment was about saving money and using Hydor Korillia's since they are good equipment for a decent price. With her comment I get to buy mp10's for the new tank right? Thats what that means right? :beer:
**The picture is blue because we are starting sunset to night**

Sun357
01/03/2016, 06:30 PM
That is a lot of hours of lighting. You may end up with algae issues.

davehead86
01/03/2016, 06:48 PM

Its so hard to tell, there really is so much variance between people and what they want out of their lights. I used to run some cheap LED lights from 6:30am till 10:30pm. I figured cutting down to 12 hours would make things better (not that i have algae problems, rather maintain the current algae level).

Does a majority blue light 20K really promote algae growth? I thought the blues were light moon lights and just kept the tank colored for viewing in a night setting?

Sun357
01/03/2016, 07:57 PM
10AM-Midnight is 14hrs of lighting unless I misunderstood. :) People do use all kinds of different times though. If you have problems I guess you can always dial it back.

The very low wattage blues are used as moonlights. I don't believe a Radion runs anything that cheap. Probably 3W blues and those will grow things just fine. Like i said though you can always see how it goes but if algae kicks up it could very well be excessive lighting.

If you want nice controllable but cheap powerheads check out the Jebao RW series. I run two RW-4's in my 25G Lagoon and they give crazy good flow.

davehead86
01/04/2016, 01:03 PM
I dialed down the hours the lights are on, i also dialed down the brightness of the blues as the night goes on. Last night my anemone and GSP were closing up as the blues were coming on.

davehead86
01/11/2016, 09:02 AM
This weekend saw an acid bath for the live rock that was purchased from someone else. I didnt realize that I should have done a bleach bath first then the acid. But oh well a little wasted vinegar isnt a huge deal.

So it sat for 2 days and then i scrubbed all the algae and leftover coral off it (best i could). Its now sitting in water diluting the acid so i can bleach the rocks this week.

Im hoping that the bleach will remove any final living residue (i know it will kill it, i want it off the rock). Then if the rock doesn't look the best I can dump some more vinegar on them (after the bleach is gone).

Im dreading the day that I have to clean the 40B out. There really just inst a great way to do it and I know it will just be a big mess. :lol:

SpSChief85
01/14/2016, 09:47 AM

Not even close to true... I have a ai hydra52 and I run it for 14 hours with 3 and half hour ramp on each end. No algae issues what so ever.

SpSChief85
01/14/2016, 09:49 AM
Its so hard to tell, there really is so much variance between people and what they want out of their lights. I used to run some cheap LED lights from 6:30am till 10:30pm. I figured cutting down to 12 hours would make things better (not that i have algae problems, rather maintain the current algae level).

Does a majority blue light 20K really promote algae growth? I thought the blues were light moon lights and just kept the tank colored for viewing in a night setting?

Any light with excess nutrients will grow algae, in my experience I enjoy the 20k setting and so do the coral I've grown, corals need the blues...

davehead86
01/14/2016, 03:53 PM
Not even close to true... I have a ai hydra52 and I run it for 14 hours with 3 and half hour ramp on each end. No algae issues what so ever.

Any light with excess nutrients will grow algae, in my experience I enjoy the 20k setting and so do the coral I've grown, corals need the blues...

Thanks for the additional info. My corals do stay open on the 20K setting for a while and then start closing when that goes down at night. Pretty interesting watching them. The RBTA is massive, i did not realize how big it would be all spread out.

Sun357
01/15/2016, 05:55 AM
Light helps propagate algae faster...obvious to see if you have a light on chaeto or not but like you said it's the nutrients that kick it in to gear it's just light that pushes it into overdrive.

Any new pics?

davehead86
01/15/2016, 08:22 AM
Light helps propagate algae faster...obvious to see if you have a light on chaeto or not but like you said it's the nutrients that kick it in to gear it's just light that pushes it into overdrive.

Any new pics?

Ill have more pics this weekend. Ill be bleaching Live Rocks, an installing an ATO, and Ill try and get a new pic of the RBTA all opened up.

Stupid clownfish still wont hang out in the RBTA, it just keeps digging its little hole area to sleep in front of the glass every night. :lolspin:

Sun357
01/15/2016, 10:02 AM
Some clowns never do, some do right away and some take time. Clowns are goofy. :)

johnike
01/16/2016, 05:02 AM
Some clowns never do, some do right away and some take time. Clowns are goofy. :)

Yeah they are.
I've had the same pair for probably six years or so , and they both stay in the right rear corner of the 240.
Same corner they stayed in in the old 180.

davehead86
01/17/2016, 04:40 PM
Well ...

I picked up an MP10 from a guy on here for $120 shipped made in 2014. Great deal IMHO.

Picked up a Tunze ATO so i cant stop depending on other people in the house to actually top off the tank. :lol:

I now have a brown algae (i believe diatom) algae bloom in my tank. Im attributing it to my tank getting used to a new lighting schedule and over feeding the fish. Im going to cut back on feeding to once every two days. Im doing a massive water change tonight, and going to buy some new snails tomorrow (i only have 2 right now and they cant keep up).

Any other advice on algae problems would be helpful. I dont have a skimmer and am not getting a skimmer until the 65 gets installed, i know i can keep a tank without a skimmer and without algae problems, ive seen it done before.

davehead86
01/17/2016, 04:46 PM
Here is a pic of how big the RBTA is getting and the GSP. This was two days ago, now the algae is covering the sand and the glass and the rocks. Dark brown like a rusty color almost. You can see it starting on the sand in these images.

davehead86
01/18/2016, 02:56 PM
Cleaned the tank and replaced around 7 gallons of water last night. Stirred up a TON of crap. Clearly the diatoms bloom was on me. I have gotten too lazy with my maintenance over the last couple weeks and without a protein skimmer or a sump with equipment to mitigate problems I cannot afford to be lazy.

I did get the Tunze ATO installed, there was a loose wire that prevented it from working properly and once i figured that out everything started working properly and the pump kicked on.

BrendaddyK
01/19/2016, 11:48 AM
The rbta looks amazing

davehead86
01/24/2016, 03:16 PM
So, the RBTA I LOVE. Although with the eventual plans it may have to go to a new home / sold to the LFS or resold back on here.

My little experiment with GSP has shown that yes this stuff does grow like a weed. Im currently thinking of ways to keep it from growing over everything in my tank because after having it for only a month there is considerable new growth appearing.

So when I do finally get the 65 gallon into the house and setup I will not be adding GSP to the mix.

davehead86
01/30/2016, 08:20 AM
The diatoms have been eliminated from what I can tell. There is some other algae type stuff that needs to get eaten off the rocks by my snails, they are so lazy though. :lol: Im going to need to go and purchase a few new snails.

The RBTA keeps moving around the tank. I just got a new Vortech and will be installing that today and hopefully that will make the RBTA happy and root down somewhere.

The Tunze Osmolator I bought (used, its all been used) was having an issue with the power cable not keeping the unit powered on all the time. It has corrosion on the inside. I had to cut an emery board up into super thin strips to get it into the actual power connector. Between sanding with the emery board and then using a q-tip with some vinegar i was able to remove most of the corrosion (at least the best i can tell). I used some dielectric grease to help with the connection. It seems to be working much better now, we will see if that continues.

davehead86
01/31/2016, 10:11 AM
Installed the BRS PH Probe today, MP10 is up and running.

Yesterday I picked up 2 snails and a frogspawn all for $10!!!!!

The darn RBTA is still in the back of the tank! Ugh this is very annoying. One more attempt today to point a powerhead correctly at the back of the tank to try and get him to move.

Sun357
02/04/2016, 12:43 PM
GSP can be a hassle. I don't keep it or Xenia or Kenyas as they can be weeds. You can generlly keep GSP contained on a rock though so long as it's not touching anything else. The other two can spread by dropping pieces though.

Nems can be such a hassle! I love them but ugh! lol One of my rockflowers was happy for weeks in one spot and then just decided to move the other day for no apparent reason. I love BTA's but I think i'm going to stay away from them in my current tank.

Grats on the Frogspawn! I love them!

davehead86
02/04/2016, 01:17 PM
GSP can be a hassle. I don't keep it or Xenia or Kenyas as they can be weeds. You can generlly keep GSP contained on a rock though so long as it's not touching anything else. The other two can spread by dropping pieces though.

Nems can be such a hassle! I love them but ugh! lol One of my rockflowers was happy for weeks in one spot and then just decided to move the other day for no apparent reason. I love BTA's but I think i'm going to stay away from them in my current tank.

Grats on the Frogspawn! I love them!

Yeah my GSP grows like a weed. But I was able to peel it off a rock when I was tackling the Diatoms / Dinoflagellets. It removes fairly easily though so I was happy about that, I dont forsee it taking over my tank since I have to stay on point with the husbandry anyway. Those others you listed are not allowed in my tank.

Im with you, when i upgrade to the 65 gallon I may just dump the RBTA to someone who only wants that and get some nice frags out of the deal.

Sun357
02/04/2016, 01:18 PM
I'm one of the odd guys who is downgrading to a 25. I just want something smaller and more compact than my old 40. Which I still need to part out and sell. Doh!

davehead86
02/04/2016, 01:20 PM
I'm one of the odd guys who is downgrading to a 25. I just want something smaller and more compact than my old 40. Which I still need to part out and sell. Doh!

Im in the market to buy stuff. You got a pic or list of the stuff? Ive bought tons on here and pay / meet quickly. Still need another MP10 and a skimmer and a big return pump.

Sun357
02/04/2016, 01:43 PM
Tank looks so rough right now but i'll be parting out the below probably then selling the tank. Tank is 40B drilled with corner overflow and 29G sump.

Marineland Utility Pump MJ-3000
Ocean Revive Arctic-S026 LED light
SCA-302 Skimmer

If you are interested in anything drop me a message and maybe we can work something out. :)

davehead86
02/24/2016, 06:44 PM
Tank looks so rough right now but i'll be parting out the below probably then selling the tank. Tank is 40B drilled with corner overflow and 29G sump.

Marineland Utility Pump MJ-3000
Ocean Revive Arctic-S026 LED light
SCA-302 Skimmer

If you are interested in anything drop me a message and maybe we can work something out. :)

Thanks for the skimmer! So my wife and kiddo and I all went across the street that night and ate at Panda Express then went to Sailfin. By the time we got home my wife and I had food poisoning. :uhoh3:

Sun357
02/24/2016, 06:45 PM
Dohhh! :( Wasn't the skimmers fault!

davehead86
02/24/2016, 06:52 PM
My ATO used to be so loud when it kicked on that it actually scared me a few times and we cant hear the TV. I looked into a few problems that it might be and discovered that a nice silicone pot holder under the pump completely rid our house of the annoying vibrations and noise. Peace! Finally!

My algae problem is almost gone. Ive changed my filter bags a couple times, sucked the crap out of the sand bed and rocks. I also reduced my lights down to 35%.

I picked up some Zoas to add color to the tank. They are orange and purple. Im sure I could peel 4 heads off glue them to a frag and sell it under some exotic name here for $100. But i only paid $20 for the full frag. :lol: There was a BEAUTIFUL chalice at the store probably 3 inches across but i just didnt have the cash for it.

davehead86
02/24/2016, 06:52 PM
Dohhh! :( Wasn't the skimmers fault!

Wasnt your either. Had you shook my hand i would have blamed you!
It was so nasty out today i still havent taken the thing out of my trunk. :spin1:

Sun357
02/24/2016, 06:54 PM
Would be impressive if I could pass on food poisoning by contact. I could be a comic book villain!

I know! My son went to work and they sent him home.

davehead86
02/24/2016, 07:02 PM
Would be impressive if I could pass on food poisoning by contact. I could be a comic book villain!

I know! My son went to work and they sent him home.

My wife did the same thing and took an hour to get home from champaign. Absolute craziness. As a teacher I had the day off :dance:

davehead86
03/03/2016, 06:31 PM
Alright so I get home and my frogspawn which is not glued to anything has fallen into the sand. Probably from the CB nipping at its base. Fine. I go to reposition it and the shrimp starts to clean my fingers which is a weird feeling but cool nonetheless. All of a sudden my clown who has shown no interest in me at all before head butts me. Then that lil sucker takes a bite out of my hand. ***! Traitor. I'm not sure if she was jealous or just hungry since they missed dinner last night and haven't been fed yet.

johnike
03/04/2016, 05:29 AM
Lol, clowns can be jerks like that sometimes!

Sun357
03/04/2016, 06:02 AM
Yep, clowns can be mean as all get out. I still love them though.

ChitownBrickie
03/16/2016, 09:10 PM
Nice read, and I learned some valuable information too.

davehead86
03/17/2016, 10:43 AM
Nice read, and I learned some valuable information too.

Thanks.

Glad I could help a fellow reefer!

ChitownBrickie
03/17/2016, 06:24 PM
I like the sound of that (new to the hobby)

davehead86
03/18/2016, 08:36 AM
So Ive gotten some information put together for a more realistically priced battery backup for my MP10 pumps. (i bought a second one yesterday!)

Initally I thought that only Vortech provided a backup that would work for their pump and I was going to have to start saving money or buy a cheap UPS just to prevent the system from shutting down and restarting with brownouts. After doing some digging around I found a thread here (arizona reefers club) that described a cheap alternative. They make units that are designed to keep ATT Uverse equipment up during a poweroutage. Luckily its a DC unit and is only $20 used on amazon and ebay.

Ive included the parts list below. the thread was from early 2013 so most of the links were dead and all of the pictures were not active. Im going to keep this thread updated with pictures and options and any issues I run into along the way.

I really wish the images werent dead here.

Im getting the following supplies. Can anyone tell me if I missed something ...

2 Belkin Units (buying used through amazon for $18 with shipping included)

2x 3' Male to Male 2.1mm x 5.5mm
http://www.amazon.com/Valley-2-1mm-5-5mm-Power-Adapter/dp/B00GPVWRRC

DC Power Splitter Cable 5.5x2.1mm Female To 2 2.1mm Female Adapter
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/300931464519?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

2x DC Power 5.5mm x 2.1mm Female to 3.5mm x 1.35mm Male Converter Plug
http://www.amazon.com/SODIAL-Power-Female-1-35mm-Converter/dp/B00U8ML4HI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458090087&sr=8-1&keywords=3.5x1.35mm+Male+to+5.5x2.1mm+Female

These are using the newest links on amazon and ebay (ebay had dead links prior) I will also try and get pictures together that are actually posted on this forum instead of imageshack .

Belkin Unit Output ---> Spliter Cable (Two units to power one MP10) ---> Extension Cable if Needed ---> Reducer ---> MP10

davehead86
03/18/2016, 08:49 AM
There is a sale going on at Sailfin (LFS) so Im going in to pick up the 65 gallon RR tank this week (springbreak wooo!)

Im also taking the time to go to the cabinet maker to have the plans drawn up and get the actual stand and canopy started. As stated before Im having the stand made since it will only cost 50% more than buying the supplies and tools that i would need to make one myself and NOT have it look like an arts and crafts project. Ive looked at all the options people have here and have decided on a couple cool design features that I want (any input on them is appreciated) ...

Remeber my sump is in the basement not below the tank ...

Magnetically activated lights on the doors
Side access panel that gets clipped on, no hinges or handles
Above the doors will be an open section for the Reefkeeper to display and operate plus the MP10 Drivers / any other displays.
Front panels on the canopy that clip on and off. This allows my lights to be mounted ontop of the canopy without hanging / light rails. No more light spillage into the room either.

davehead86
03/20/2016, 07:10 PM
Oh am I excited and slightly miffed. :lmao:

So as a teacher I start spring break tomorrow. This is fantastic. We have arrived at the point to order the tank and the stand. Very excited for that.

In preparation fro this next step I needed to clean out space in the basement to store a 65 RR tank. This requires me to build my next utility table (done) and get the water station running properly. Well this is where I got angry today. I get the whole darn thing plumbed in and it starts leaking again, at the bulkhead. The new one that I just bought. So i've resigned that trash can to trash duty and will pick up a new one next week sometime and not cut out the bottom. Just put a pump in the bottom of it and pump it to the next container. No more leaks.

I also finally got to cleaning out Fred's skimmer. MAN WAS IT DIRTY. Now its all shiny and ready to go in the sump. Its missing a muffler on the air intake, is that a problem? Should i go and get one on amazon?

Sun357
03/21/2016, 04:53 AM
The horrible part is trying to get them to take a trash can from the trash. LOL

I didn't think it was too bad. Did you let it dry out? Much easier to clean when it's wet.

Muffler just makes noise difference. You can make one from a pill bottle if you want. The sound never bothered me but i'm in my office not a living room. Huck it in some water and run it and see?

davehead86
03/21/2016, 07:26 PM
Fred it was dried out for sure and so I just scrubbed in vinegar. It was dirtier than I expected because I've never seen a skimmer work before. So I'll be happy if mine gets that dirty again. It means it works.

The thing will be in my basement so I couldn't care less about the noise I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't a problem that the muffler was off.

New to me MP10 installed today. It's from 2011 so a little louder than the one from 2014 but not bad at all. I picked up some extra work and when I get paid for that my radions get upgraded to the G3 and the MP10s will be upgraded to wireless Quiet Drive.

Tank should be here Thursday. Stand won't be done for a long time. Probably June before I get hands on that. Wife decided no outside lights for the stand and no side panel was necessary. I agreed with her on that Point. If there isn't a sumo below there's no need for that much access and it's cheaper this way. I'm also staining it myself to fit the Room and decor. That will be a fun project. Hopefully not too smelly.

Sun357
03/22/2016, 05:57 AM
Ahhh gotcha! Yeah after awhile they get filthy! I had cleaned that one not too long before. :D

Muffler is just for noise. It didn't even come with one. The newer ones do but the originals nope!

Lots of new toys! :)

davehead86
03/23/2016, 09:55 AM
MP10 is having a weird issue with a pulsing light at night. Im wondering if its entered into some kind of night / low power mode. Kicks off during the day. Ill be interested to see what EcoTech has to say about it.

The new tank came in today. 65 Gallons is a lot bigger than i thought it would be. I also bought a fuzzy mushroom today. Ill post pictures of the new tank and coral later.

davehead86
03/24/2016, 04:21 PM
Picture updates.

Fuzzy Mushroom.
Zoa's that I got a while back. I had to move some rocks to put in the mushroom and ended up tearing the zoa colony in half. I had not realized they moved off the plug and onto the rock so quickly! They seem to be fine but one little straggling end needs some coral glue to hold it down.
Full New Tank shot includes a cooler in the back to give somewhat of a size comparison.
Full Tank shot. Shows growth of GSP and the big fat fish. Nem has finally settled for the back of the tank.

Sun357
03/25/2016, 05:03 AM
Looks good! Yep, those zoas will spread by the base pretty well. :)

davehead86
03/28/2016, 06:52 PM
I have received both of my belkin backup units and various cords. Im still waiting on the main cord which is the reducer that fits into the Vortech Boxes. They have an expected arrival date from April 6th to the 28th! UGH! :lol:

I ordered a reeflink today. Im hoping that having it will allow me to knock the MP10 out of night mode. And eventually I want to have an M1 as my return pump and with the radions it will all be in the same universe.

Im still contemplating how Im going to have the new tank plumbing done. The bulkheads are on the bottom of the tank and i cant tell if they are thread or slip. Im terrified they are thread since everytime i use a thread it leaks. Its causing me stress and its just sitting in the basement at this time.

davehead86
04/07/2016, 11:44 AM
So I have a question.
I have some scratches on my skimmer neck now from some agressive cleaning. These arent like super deep scratches but now Im wondering if I ruined the skimmer. Are scratches bad, will they eventually get covered in gunk anyway? Should I polish the skimmer neck to remove the scratches?

mbemount
04/07/2016, 09:57 PM
Should be fine after it's broke in.

davehead86
05/11/2016, 03:09 PM
I added a few drags to the tank. Mushroom and Fruit Loop Acan. MyGSP grows like a weed and so do my Zoas. 350118350119350120

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davehead86
05/16/2016, 03:42 PM
Well it was open for a fews days and now my ACAN is closed tighter than all get out.
I cant figure out why. My water needed changing for sure, and the carbon needed replacing so I got that taken care of. I havent been home yet to see whats going on but yeah. Any advice on these guys? Can my Coral Beauty be nipping? I haven't seen it pay any attention to any of the other corals or the ACAN but I only watch for a little bit during the evening hours.

I did add an emerald crab, i have seen this dude like two or three times since its been introduced. I know that crabs can be aloof but my gosh!

davehead86
05/16/2016, 06:44 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160517/d56c5f9d439b3a6e09034e45be318df3.jpg

So this is what it looks like now. I tried to feed it and got nothing with food right next to it. I'm taking measurements later after the food has cleared.

Everything in the tank seems smaller today. Not sure why. The zoas are the only coral fully extended.

davehead86
05/17/2016, 06:53 PM
Alright. Well the Acan problem is still being worked on ...

All parameters checked as normal. I am having some Cal, Mag, and Alk test kits shipped here next week so we can check those numbers too.

In other news I have started my rockscape for the 65 gallon. I WOULD LOVE OPINIONS. I know there are a bunch of people who have come through here reading, leave your opinions too.

My wife would like it to be taller (I still don't have egg crate under it though).
She says it doesn't look as full as the current setup. I think its because of the giant cave that I have in the middle. Im wondering if I put in a few rock pieces in there it wouldn't look so empty. Thoughts?

Finis
05/21/2016, 07:49 AM
I think it looks fine. I bought some dry rock off BRS website and did my first "aquascape". I chiseled a tunnel through the rock.

Finis
05/21/2016, 07:53 AM
That fruit loop scan is neat looking. I just ordered a salifert mag test kit. I'm looking at different test kits. Using API right now. They seem to work fine for me but apparently they are not the most accurate.

davehead86
05/22/2016, 12:29 PM
That fruit loop scan is neat looking. I just ordered a salifert mag test kit. I'm looking at different test kits. Using API right now. They seem to work fine for me but apparently they are not the most accurate.

Well the Acan finally started opening up again. I put a PVC ring around it to block flow and took the lights down a little bit and that seems to be helping.

The Nem has started moving around again because of the changes. :lmao:

API is fine, but very hard to read and thats where the inaccuracy comes in. I just got my Salifert kits delivered and am going to test them tonight before I feed the tank.

davehead86
05/24/2016, 12:20 PM
Just took delivery of the new tanks stand. It is beautiful and looks fantastic. It's built like a tank which is great. It has shelves for storage and organizing cords and cables. I will still need to drill the holes for the tanks durso drains and obviously need to get the basement sump up and running.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160524/4b1ba370945f3bcefe6fb0c775a9c445.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160524/2176b90965d0b4897ea309d4a9cb65a5.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160524/ea2358e80e9805b2cc7d94b18c58a969.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160524/e29b453ff791b23623595e37924fc6ce.jpg

Finis
05/28/2016, 10:28 PM
Nice man.

davehead86
06/19/2016, 07:49 PM
Still going slow this summer. Currently Im working at a summer camp so the majority of my day has been taken up with that and then coming home feeding the monster, I mean 2 year old, and then heading to the pool. :hmm3:

So you can imagine how delighted I was to get some work done on the basement this weekend. :inlove:

First things first. Summer camp pays for aquarium products. First thing on the docket was a full upgrade for the Radions. G3 Pucks, new mounting screws, driver holders, fan covers. Those upgrades go so quickly on that website it's ridiculous. And of course, it was a pain to get the lights re-registered with the Reeflink and operating on the correct schedule.

Now to the basement. I wanted to have a clean look behind my mixing station and sump. I also wanted this to have a spot for shelves to be added when necessary to hold dosers, chemical containers, ato, etc. So I get to drilling into the concrete block. Went through 3 drill bits, and 4 trips to the store. :headwalls: I finally get the backing 1x4's mounted and the wainscoting mounted to the 1x4's. Even got a shelf put up too (others to follow). And some contact paper on the top of the table to prevent any water ruining the MDF. In case of a flood its not really going to do much good but for the purposes of preventing minor spills soaking in it should work well.

davehead86
06/19/2016, 07:51 PM
Well the Acan finally started opening up again. I put a PVC ring around it to block flow and took the lights down a little bit and that seems to be helping.

The Nem has started moving around again because of the changes. :lmao:

API is fine, but very hard to read and thats where the inaccuracy comes in. I just got my Salifert kits delivered and am going to test them tonight before I feed the tank.

Forgot about this. The acan is gone. Coral Beauty is nibbling it like crazy. That fish has gots to go when the new tank gets put together. Is anyone interested in a cheap Coral Beauty?

Oh and Fred, thanks for the rando text the other night. I laughed my butt off. :lol:

Finis
06/25/2016, 01:13 AM
Is that an SCA 301 skimmer? I just bought one for a sump i just built. Let me know how well it works when you get yours up. I am working on getting stuff together for my next tank.

davehead86
06/25/2016, 07:09 AM
Is that an SCA 301 skimmer? I just bought one for a sump i just built. Let me know how well it works when you get yours up. I am working on getting stuff together for my next tank.

It's an sc 302. Essentially the same thing just bigger. The guy I bought it from said it worked great. And when I got it there was a good amount of gunk on it so it was clearly producing skimmate well.

davehead86
06/25/2016, 07:22 PM
So Ive been doing some prep work for the tank on a couple of threads here. One of the questions I had revolved around battery backups and not having to buy an EcoTech Backup since they are stupid expensive. I believe I have found a reasonable and SAFE solution here ...
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2586117

I also finally got to upgrading my Radion G2 with the G3 Pucks. As you can see from the attached photos the fan assembly was so dirty and gross. So it got a good scrubbing too. The entire light was disassembled on the kitchen table and cleaned well. The thing is so quiet and now has the best LED's ready to go over the tank.

My Eshopps Master Doser arrives this week and will be loaded and run (it was bought used off ebay).

This is also the last week of summer camp. The pay was amazing but its def time to be done. Ill be happy to lounge around around in July and then get this tank going even faster. :celeb3::beer:

davehead86
07/08/2016, 07:13 PM
Well I will continue talking to myself in here :spin2::lol:

I have been receiving packages over the last few days from all of the parts I have been ordering for the tank and the sump. It will start moving along quicker now. My dad is coming down this weekend to help me reinforce the floor, move the tank upstairs, and drill the holes in the floor. :beer:
**I had thought about not including the prices but its my thread and now people can understand how much some of this stuff costs even if you are able to find a good deal**

Here is the list so far ...
-$450 (Radion G3 Puck Upgrades / Hanging Supplies / Fan Covers)
-$50 (New 6 Gallon Water Containers, 1- 2 Gallon Spout Container)
- New Live Rock piece included
-$160 (Eshopps Master 4 Dosing Pump)
-$7 Air Vents for Canopy Top (2 side, 1 Top)
-$60 carbon and gfo reactors and parts. (Used BRS Dual Reactor).
-$20 Shelving Units (x2)
-$20 Radion Hanging Supplies (Nite Itze Size 1 S Binder(these things suck and were returned), Eye Hook BOLTS, Washers)
-$9 dc female cables for DIY Battery Backup
-$4 Split Rings for Hanging Radion (Nickel Plated)
-$17 Silicone and Airline Tubing (16 feet)
-$443 M1 Vectra Pump, Hose Adapters, Dosing Tube Holder, Battery Backup Booster

All thats left now is substrate and then the plumbing pieces that I need. Ive got $200 set aside for that and I am hoping it doesnt cost that much so I can buy some other gooides Ive got my eyes on. Like a new PC4 for the ReefKeeper (anyone have one they want to sell me).

davehead86
07/10/2016, 02:50 PM
My dad came down this weekend and helped out with a few things around the house. We got a playset built for the munchkin. She was exceedingly happy when it was done and just about refused to sleep because of it.

We also got some work done with the fish tank :lol:
The wife wanted the floor joists under and around the tank strengthened. Its not necessary but if it makes her happy then its worth it. So we fit 2x8 lumber and lag bolted it to the existing 2x8 joists. The electrical wiring needs some work around that area but were redoing wires since we are dropping directv and just going with the antenna. So ive got all that to do still.

We started work on the actual stand itself. Drilled holes for the plumbing. We also discovered that the measurements provided by marineland were just a hair off. The tank with the plastic bracing is just about 1/8th inch too wide to fit into the stand. So we had to knock one side off to get some work done. Easily fixed by a deep sanding with some 50 grit. Same thing needs to happen on the canopy. That also still needs a back and a top. Thin back, nice painted piece of plywood for the top.

I have yet to water test this tank and i know i shouldn't worry but I HATE bulkheads. I am so worried the dursos are going to start leaking and that the tank is ruined. It's only been moved twice but i had a tank start leaking once when the bottom silicone got messed up somehow. YIKES. Paranoid!!

The basement area is coming along. Clearly still messy and needing organization but now that the joists are sistered that can take place. Drilling holes in the floor for plumbing can take place after the small tank is moved off to the side for its temp position before everything is transferred into the big tank.

I also included a pic of the old tank, new tank, and a chair to give a size comparison for the new tank. Its a little bigger than we all expected. :lol:

ct_vol
07/10/2016, 08:38 PM
Just took delivery of the new tanks stand. It is beautiful and looks fantastic. It's built like a tank which is great. It has shelves for storage and organizing cords and cables. I will still need to drill the holes for the tanks durso drains and obviously need to get the basement sump up and running.

Who made your stand? Everything is looking good.

davehead86
07/11/2016, 06:29 AM
Who made your stand? Everything is looking good.

There is a cabinet maker in Bement that did it up for me. Really high quality work. He did a great job and way over built it. There are some things that I didn't ask for that he did to make it stronger that actually made it better. Like the cabinet being divided which ends up being perfect because it keeps the durso pipes away from the electronics.

ct_vol
07/11/2016, 07:30 PM
PM the info if you don't mind. I have a large tank going in soon I need a stand for!

davehead86
07/21/2016, 09:28 PM
Clownfish has started sleeping and playing in the anemone. It happened very randomly when I moved a rock the other day. I kind of don't want to move them to the 65 gallon now for fear of it not happening in that tank. Lol

Very dark pic since it's only when moon lights are on 354811

davehead86
07/23/2016, 07:46 PM
Busy weekend so far on the tank.

Holes in the floor drilled for the drain and return.

Outlets run and installed on their own breaker. GFI outlet used.

Leak tested the bulkheads for the drain and return. Initially I thought I had a leak and then realized that it's just an internal leak and will be where water is pumped anyway. So there is no issue.

I also patched all the holes I made in the wall for hanging the lights on the ghetto tank.

I'm also trying to figure out if there is any way that I can cut off the return pump (Vectra M1) if it's on a battery backup. I'm worried about the tank overflowing. Obviously this isn't a huge concern but I'm just wondering. I'd like to keep the M1 on a battery backup since we tend to have brown outs around here and that would be unnecessary to have the pump restart every time or dry itself during that time.

lokmar
07/23/2016, 10:16 PM
Clownfish has started sleeping and playing in the anemone. It happened very randomly when I moved a rock the other day. I kind of don't want to move them to the 65 gallon now for fear of it not happening in that tank. Lol

Very dark pic since it's only when moon lights are on 354811

Once those clowns take to a nem, they're addicted. Mine lounge in my RBTA all day long. Only leave it to eat. They get real aggressive toward anything that gets near their nem, especially a hand!

ct_vol
07/24/2016, 08:57 PM
I'm also trying to figure out if there is any way that I can cut off the return pump (Vectra M1) if it's on a battery backup. I'm worried about the tank overflowing. Obviously this isn't a huge concern but I'm just wondering. I'd like to keep the M1 on a battery backup since we tend to have brown outs around here and that would be unnecessary to have the pump restart every time or dry itself during that time.

Why would the tank overflow with the power out vs on? :confused: I'd think it would just continue running as normal.

Separate note: I'd make sure you have surge suppressors on everything. I'm glad I did as I burned a bunch of them out during a brown out a few years back. Still cheaper than replacing my reef equipment.

davehead86
07/24/2016, 09:13 PM
Why would the tank overflow with the power out vs on? :confused: I'd think it would just continue running as normal.

Separate note: I'd make sure you have surge suppressors on everything. I'm glad I did as I burned a bunch of them out during a brown out a few years back. Still cheaper than replacing my reef equipment.

I'm worried about it overflowing in general and the return pump continuing to overflow the tank if the main drain got clogged. I wanted to run some kind of a switch to turn off the return of the tank got too full. But with the batter backup it's not possible. I need the battery backup to not burn out the M1 during brownouts. Surge protectors and GFCI outlets are obviously a must in my tank.

I think that I'm just going to create a mesh thing to keep snails and animals out of the overflow area. Possibly silicone it down. That should solve my main concern for overflow.

Unless someone can think of something else?

Thanks for the input. It feels like I'm talking to myself I here sometimes. :lol:

davehead86
07/24/2016, 09:13 PM
Once those clowns take to a nem, they're addicted. Mine lounge in my RBTA all day long. Only leave it to eat. They get real aggressive toward anything that gets near their nem, especially a hand!

My clown already hates my hand. Lol
She bites all the time.

johnike
07/25/2016, 07:09 AM
You could cut out the overflow teeth, and replace it with gutter guard, works great.

davehead86
07/25/2016, 10:24 AM
You could cut out the overflow teeth, and replace it with gutter guard, works great.

Im not too worried about the overflow teeth themselves. Im more worried about the gap around the return pipe and the open space above the overflow area. Im not putting a lid on it since I have a canopy. So I'm thinking about a custom cut light diffuser lid siliconed down so that a snail cant slowly move it up as it goes. And then some kind of wire mesh around the return area. Not sure if they have stainless wire mesh. Although that area is much smaller.

Continued thoughts with that plan?

ct_vol
07/25/2016, 07:29 PM
I use these for both Durso and Bean overflow applications. Short for Durso. Long for Bean. I've had Turbos clog my overflow twice. Never again.

https://premiumaquatics.com/products/black-suction-screen-1-4-tall-male-thread.html

davehead86
07/26/2016, 08:26 AM
I use these for both Durso and Bean overflow applications. Short for Durso. Long for Bean. I've had Turbos clog my overflow twice. Never again.

https://premiumaquatics.com/products/black-suction-screen-1-4-tall-male-thread.html

Thats a fantastic idea!

I saw them for pumps. Didnt even think about it for the drains. I do have large snails, no where near as small as turbos. Still better safe than sorry.

davehead86
07/26/2016, 08:29 AM
If anyone else who is watching / reading this I found these through Bulk Reef Supply too. They are cheaper, and have many more size options than the other website.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulkhead-overflow-strainers.html

ct_vol
07/27/2016, 06:37 PM
Those will restrict flow quite a bit. They'll also clog with bubble algae. You should be fine if you go with larger 1.5" or 2". I wouldn't do 1" though. I had them from a bulkhead kit and used them in a pinch, but eventually replaced them with the type I posted. Well, they used to offer a slip version. That's the ones I have.

davehead86
07/27/2016, 06:53 PM
Those will restrict flow quite a bit. They'll also clog with bubble algae. You should be fine if you go with larger 1.5" or 2". I wouldn't do 1" though. I had them from a bulkhead kit and used them in a pinch, but eventually replaced them with the type I posted. Well, they used to offer a slip version. That's the ones I have.

Yeah I could not find the ones I needed.
So they restrict flow? Would cutting every other one out help prevent the clog and flow restrictions?

ct_vol
07/27/2016, 07:12 PM
Would cutting every other one out help prevent the clog and flow restrictions?

That would work. Just make sure the openings aren't large enough for anything yup get in that would clog the line. Kind of defeats the purpose. ;)

davehead86
07/27/2016, 07:18 PM
That would work. Just make sure the openings aren't large enough for anything yup get in that would clog the line. Kind of defeats the purpose. ;)

Haha. Right.

I guess I'll have some tinkering to do. Plenty of time with the cycle running.

davehead86
08/03/2016, 08:18 PM
Alright. Got the BRS grate in the mail the other day. You were correct in their limiting flow. I can clearly see that it would happen because of the limited space between the grates. It is really restricted. Oh well.

Ohter news. I have been planning on cutting apart old 10 gallon tanks and then cutting the glass to use as the sump. Well after trying to take apart the tank and cracking the glass and realizing how much damn silicone there is, Ive decided to skip that step. I went out and bought glass sheets from the Blue Big Box Store. $6 bucks per sheet cut to size. Im not sure why i didnt just do this in the first place. I spent the same amount of money on glass cutting crap as I did on the actual glass. :headwally:
I know their stuff is rather thin but Im not under a stand. I dont really foresee me ramming my equipment so hard into glass that it breaks the stuff.

So yeah. 40 gallon breeder 36x18x16
4 3/32" glass panels cut to 17 3/4" wide by 10" tall

This leave about 15 gallons of water space left in the sump for overflow purposes.
.6 gallons roughly in the stand pipes. So i can have a 1/5 of my tank get back siphoned into the sump before it overflows.

Clearly my returns will not be THAT far down into my tank (MAYBE 2 inches of 24). Im not even comfortable with that number its probably gonna be 1 inch. So room to spare for sure.

Plumbing is happening tomorrow.

davehead86
08/04/2016, 05:09 PM
So I got the tank plumbed today. The unions on the durso pipes are a little too close. I may have to replumb that section if it starts leaking. But I'm hoping it's all good for now.

The glass was too wide. I cut it down myself to 17 1/4 wide and now it fits perfectly. Tomorrow I'll start building and gluing the sump sections. Already have the tank marked and on its side.

davehead86
08/06/2016, 07:52 PM
Wanted fish list ...

Already have
Clownfish
Yellow Watchman Goby
Cleaner Shrimp
Coral Beauty - being rehomed

Want
Two spot bristle tooth tang
Diamond Goby
Firefish
Royal Gramma

Possibly also a Mandarin.

This is for my own reference since wifey threw away my paper list. :lol: but if anyone has any thoughts as always peas share them.

ct_vol
08/08/2016, 07:54 PM
This is for my own reference since wifey threw away my paper list. :lol: but if anyone has any thoughts as always peas share them.

My thoughts?

This thread needs more pictures. :)

davehead86
08/08/2016, 08:06 PM
Funny you should say that. I am working on rockscape tonight.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160809/c9d6ca35adf47d2f2c3c6a35067335e1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk355976

davehead86
08/08/2016, 08:08 PM
I want an sps dominate mixed reef. I'm not too sure on which design I like better. I'm trying to research some sps tank ideas to get the most corals in the tank

davehead86
08/09/2016, 09:21 PM
I've gotten the final design in the tank and glued together in large strategic pieces incase I need to remove rocks.

There are a few missing rocks because they are in the current main tank. The left side will have an island of gsp. And the flat spots will be filled in with a few rocks that have some coral growth on them.

I'll be relying on the sps to add height and depth to the tank. I can add pillars on the side and middle if needed later on. 356046

davehead86
08/26/2016, 09:43 AM
Tank gets wet this weekend.
Just finished plumbing last night and creating a stand for my skimmer.
Have to drill one last hole in the floor for a wire to connect the ReefKeeper Powerbar to the head unit on the main floor.

Assuming the tank doesn't leak then we starting plugging in equipment to get a basic setup working to have a cycle start in the tank (wont take that long for it to cycle).

ct_vol
08/29/2016, 08:38 PM
You're way more patient than I am... It's a good thing, so that things are set up properly.

davehead86
08/30/2016, 07:15 AM
You're way more patient than I am... It's a good thing, so that things are set up properly.

I didn't wait on my first tank and had many problems. It's worth the time with such a large tank.

The filling went well. There are no leaks and I have started adding salt to the tank. My Vectra M1 works fantastically. I couldn't believe how quiet it is. It's not really running that hard so that helps too. Best I can figure the tank runs at something close to 30% which would be correct for the tank and head pressure calculations.

Fish_wiz2
08/30/2016, 07:22 AM
Let see some pics! What fish stores are down by you? Is it still just Sailfin or have others tried to enter the market down there?

davehead86
08/30/2016, 07:24 AM
Let see some pics! What fish stores are down by you? Is it still just Sailfin or have others tried to enter the market down there?

I will load a bunch of pics tonight. Its been a busy week so far.

Sailfin is the only place down by me that is close at all. It seems like central illinois can only support one store per hour radius. Although bloomington doesn't really have a store. I order almost all of my stuff through Amazon. The only thing I buy from John at Sailfin is the tank, sand, live rock, animals and food. Everything else is online. Which now that i list it all out is a lot of stuff i get from him. :lolspin:

davehead86
08/30/2016, 08:12 PM
As promised the pictures ...

The skimmer stand
The sump itself
A closeup of the baffles and the pump
FTS (Full Tank Shot)

The pump is now running 24/7 on its program. The water level has not moved in the last 3 hours in the sump. (Steady as she goes). Ive got a 200W heater plugged in and running to heat the tank. Ive got a piece of LR from the main tank in the DT and a mesh bag of 3 raw shrimp in the DT to start the cycle.

Let the testing begin, and the eternal cycle wait start now!

davehead86
08/30/2016, 08:16 PM
I have now also ran out of salt and had to order the 200 gallon box from amazon. Which is suprisingly cheaper than the 120 or 160 gallon box and tubs.

The pump on the skimmer died. DEAD. So I also picked up a new one on amazon too. I discovered an extra powerhead I had here at the house. Which is great, i need one in the sump "refugium" and one in the new DT for movement till the Vortechs get moved over.

On deck for Labor Day ...
Finishing touches. The wife works, i get paid, life is good!:bounce2:

Fish_wiz2
08/31/2016, 06:58 AM
I will load a bunch of pics tonight. Its been a busy week so far.

Sailfin is the only place down by me that is close at all. It seems like central illinois can only support one store per hour radius. Although bloomington doesn't really have a store. I order almost all of my stuff through Amazon. The only thing I buy from John at Sailfin is the tank, sand, live rock, animals and food. Everything else is online. Which now that i list it all out is a lot of stuff i get from him. :lolspin:

Tanks looks good! Also funny, the few times I've been down there its always been Sailfin but their prices are through the roof on corals. Does that pet supplies down by County Market in Champaign still sell a bit of saltwater?

davehead86
08/31/2016, 07:28 AM
Tanks looks good! Also funny, the few times I've been down there its always been Sailfin but their prices are through the roof on corals. Does that pet supplies down by County Market in Champaign still sell a bit of saltwater?

Not sure. Ive never been there. Just Sailfin and Kens Aquarium in Decatur.

Yes their prices on corals are WAYYY high. I do get a couple good deals on corals there but mostly I just get fish there because they have a good price and their fish have never had a disease or mysterious death.

There is a facebook group called KUSH CORALS. Its tied to a store far away from here but in illinois and they have GREAT corals and bid on facebook so the price isnt anymore than you are willing to pay. I would check them out.

davehead86
09/20/2016, 01:01 PM
Well I seem to have cursed myself.

I bought a purple firefish from Sailfin, went away this weekend and come back to the fish missing. It wasnt a jumper and from my observations over the last 3 weeks it was eating and getting along with all of the other fish just fine.

There are four possible solutions.
1. Fish just up and died
2. Anemone ate the fish during its split (not likely)
3. It liked to hang by the powerheads and could have gotten sucked in and spit out.
4. The coral beauty went rouge and killed it

But since my crab, shrimp, and starfish all ate everything instantly I have no idea what happened.

My anemone split in two over the weekend also. So i was very suprised when i came home.

Jlicht15
09/20/2016, 03:38 PM
Nice build. I lost two orange diamond gobies that way[emoji31] just vanished. I think they died nd the crabs nd snails cleaned them up. No evidence. So I won't b getting another

davehead86
09/20/2016, 03:59 PM
Nice build. I lost two orange diamond gobies that way[emoji31] just vanished. I think they died nd the crabs nd snails cleaned them up. No evidence. So I won't b getting another

Thanks!

Yeah i know it happens. Still sad.

I think its because i introduced it last and it really should have gone in first. I did not plan the stock list very well at the beginning.

Fish_wiz2
09/20/2016, 04:20 PM
There is a facebook group called KUSH CORALS. Its tied to a store far away from here but in illinois and they have GREAT corals and bid on facebook so the price isnt anymore than you are willing to pay. I would check them out.

Kush is the spot, they're out in bradley/kankakee and is also out of the same store Chicagoland Aquariums (which is nowhere near chicago). I believe the owner used to work for Aquatica which is up in Tinley Park.

Well I seem to have cursed myself.

I bought a purple firefish from Sailfin, went away this weekend and come back to the fish missing. It wasnt a jumper and from my observations over the last 3 weeks it was eating and getting along with all of the other fish just fine.

Firefish also love to disappear into holes in the rockwork/sand for weeks and then reappear out the blue. I've noticed it more with purples then reds. Don't lose hope just yet if there are no signs of jumping.

davehead86
09/20/2016, 07:39 PM
I did not see him for a day once. So that may be true. But it's been two days and I've checked a ton of spots and can't see anything. If he managed to find a spot I can't see then I will be impressed.

davehead86
10/11/2016, 04:00 PM
Updates with PICTURES!!

Purple Firefish is done. I have not seen him at all for weeks.
My wife "saw" a crab being eaten by the starfish. We go to Sailfin and talk to a guy who says that crabs shed their exoskeletons and thats probably what we saw. I didnt know that and thought it was so cool. We bought another crab just incase. lol

Down to the tank.

Sump is finally finished. I followed the design I have posted. It works really well. I switched where the three piece bubble trap is to right after the skimmer. It honestly needs only two pieces, not sure why that third piece of glass is there. It doesnt do anything.

The skimmer is pulling a ton of crap. The skimate smells terrible :lolspin. Im glad its all going now with the new pump installed.

The BRS Dual Reactor is also plumbed inline now. I have a small pump for it, no manifold ffrom the main pump. There is only carbon at this point, but no leaks and the water has cleared up.

The canopy is done. I sanded stained and poly'd the top. Measured the lights, made templates and then started drilling holes. I used eye hooks and key ring holders to hold the lights above the water. I really like the way the canopy worked out.

davehead86
10/16/2016, 09:31 PM
Alright. The 20 gallon has officially been shut down and moved.

The Coral Beauty and some corals were sent to my dads tank today. I am down to just the clownfish, goby, shrimp, starfish, snails, some corals in the tank currently. I have a fish stocking list, the CB just had to go since it kept eating my corals.

All tech and equipment has been put onto the 65 gallon. It is all running and functioning great at this point.

Cords are obviously a huge mess to try and keep straight. I tried to do the best I could but there is still room for improvement. I still have plenty of work on the tank and sump plus maintenance. Its finally time to start stocking the tank with more fish and corals.

davehead86
10/23/2016, 02:52 PM
Bristletooth Tang added to the tank this weekend.

It is swimming along happily at this point and seems to be fine in the tank. Ill try feeding tonight.