PDA

View Full Version : Can I add more clownfish? HELP PLS

dancewithethan
01/03/2016, 12:53 PM
Hi reefers

I currently have one picasso clownfish in my 70 Gls tank. I am thinking to add a pair of clarkii clown or other types, but I want to know it would be compatible with my picasso. I can try to add another one of small picasso in there, but, in the past, have not been having success.

my tank has one RBT nem and one green carpet nem, both are not being host by the picasso.

Thx

Ethan M

m0nkie
01/03/2016, 01:11 PM
hard to say... Clarkii gets aggressive.. if the Clarkiis get hosted by the carpet and Picasso by the RBT, you may have a chance... 70 gal is really small and one day they may decide to kill each other.

if you must attempt this, I'd get the babiest sized Clarkii and put the anemones on 2 separate ends of the tank

shifty51008
01/03/2016, 01:27 PM
1 pair of clowns per tank unless you want fighting. Either remove the picasso and add the pair of clarki's or find another clown to pair up with the picasso. Find a very small picasso to pair with the one you have.

Sapelo
01/05/2016, 10:56 AM
^^This.

Sugar Magnolia
01/05/2016, 12:18 PM
1 pair of clowns per tank unless you want fighting. Either remove the picasso and add the pair of clarki's or find another clown to pair up with the picasso. Find a very small picasso to pair with the one you have.

Yes, this.

addictedreefer
01/05/2016, 12:24 PM
Clarkis are not a good candidate for mixing. First, they are high on the aggression spectrum. Second, and perhaps more importantly, they accept all host anemones in the wild, so they will likely invade all nems in the tank and claim them as "theirs." The only time I've had success mixing clowns species is where there is no crossover in natural hosts. For example, my 210 gal nem tank has multiple magnificas, multiple BTAs, a mertensi and haddoni. I was able to add a pair of sebae clowns to the tank already inhabited by a mated perc/occy pair (and occy third wheel juvi) without issue because the only natural host for the sebaes is the haddoni and the perc/occys do not host haddonis in the wild. As a result, they completely ignore each other.

Different story when I added a pair of pink skunks because there was a crossover host -- the magnificas. Got ugly real fast.