PDA

View Full Version : Flat worms?

Noob2015
01/03/2016, 07:10 PM
I can't seem to attach a photo but I can't figure out if I have a flatworm issue or not. Probably a couple hundred rust colored flat, skinny "worms?" sticking to my rock and collecting heavily in certain areas. Maybe 2-5mm in length prob 2mm wide.
But they aren't moving at all....at least not that I can see and I've stared through my new magnification portal for a long time. Maybe they are uneaten calanus?
If they are flatworms, I'd rather get a wrasse to handle them than flatworm exit. Good idea? Which wrasse? Seems most say melanarus.
Thanks everyone.

shifty51008
01/03/2016, 08:02 PM
Sounds like you have flatworms. Never had a melanarus before but did have a 6 line when i had them and while it helped the best way to get rid of them is get rid of their food. Clean the tank better, blow the rocks off with a powerhead or turkey baster before a water change, ect.

Jade5051
01/03/2016, 08:15 PM
I had a mystery wrasse that like to eat them. There are a number of wrasse that will eat flat worms. If works comes to worse there is a reef safe chemical called flatworm exit that will kill them all almost instantly. You just have to siphon the dead and do a quick water change.

lhm nole
01/04/2016, 01:12 AM
I siphoned mine out for months bought 3 boxes of flatworm ex could not bring myself to using it so bought a melanarus wrasse and have not seen a flatworm in over a year

Learn It
01/04/2016, 07:22 AM
I had an issue with flatworms and invasive nudibrachs. Enter Sixline wrasse and RIP to these species