PDA

View Full Version : Just got my first peacock!

Fish guy 91
01/03/2016, 08:12 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/03/059a76b74a25bdb55be8d3f11221336c.jpg
It's in a 12g nano rimless

Kharn
01/03/2016, 10:09 PM
It's in a 12g nano rimless

Well good luck to you cause your going to need it...

If this is your first mantis shrimp you have chosen the most difficult to keep long term.

Not only that but the tank you have it in is less then HALF of the quoted MINIMAL liters for the species (which even I think is too little and should be double to triple that).

Was it an impulse buy or did you do any reading into them :)?

Jlentz
01/04/2016, 12:57 AM
Cool!

You really need a bigger tank. A lot bigger. Like a 40B. I think petco is doing the $ a gal sale right now so you should look into it.

Fish guy 91
01/04/2016, 02:24 AM
If this is your first mantis shrimp you have chosen the most difficult to keep long term.

No I've had a very small green one before but it only lived 2 years [emoji21]

Was it an impulse buy or did you do any reading into them :)?

No I've wanted one for about 6 years

Fish guy 91
01/04/2016, 02:26 AM
Do you think I could get away with it while doing weekly 5 gal water changes?

Jlentz
01/04/2016, 02:40 AM
Peacocks get 6"+ long.

The myths that people believe about mantis shrimp being aquarium crackers come from people who put peacocks in nanos.

The general recommendation is a 40b for a peacock. Mine is in a 90.

Nanos are awesome for the little ones but peacocks get big.

Would you put a kole tang in a 12g nano?

Fish guy 91
01/04/2016, 02:45 AM
If he was the size of a quarter yea. I have a 40 tank and a 40 sump but I don't want to set it up until after I move in a few months. I thought the major issue with keeping them in nano tanks would be the water levels right?

Fish guy 91
01/04/2016, 04:50 AM
And what do you guys think about uv? I have a 9w but I need to order a bulb... Do you think it would be better to run one?

EI Gringo
01/04/2016, 06:54 AM
12g long term is ofcourse too small but I think it's fairly obvious that you don't have an adult people and it's only temporary. People impulse buy wrasses and starfish for reef tanks, anyone who sees a mantis and wants it knowing nothing about it 'should' be told the obvious, species only aquarium, it gets big and will kill almost everything etc. Nobody therefore should impulse buy a mantis, particularly a peacock

EI Gringo
01/04/2016, 07:01 AM
40/40 set up will be great for it, peacock mantis are a difficult species and I've had my fill of heartache but now I see aquatic pets as ornaments and a death doesn't bother me as much. We're all here to help you bro so admit mistakes, we've all made them, trust me...
Key to peacock mantis is a big enclosure with ground space, pristine water quality and good species husbandry I.E providing a suitable burrow. Pvc drain pipe is ideal 65 mm dia, two openings in a U shaped 45cm apart. All you need is a 45cm length pipe and 2 90 degree elbows, dark colours are recommended particularly black or brown and large rubble mixed into the substrate for it to move about. Lower the lighting and do not disturb when they molt as well is recommended, ask us anything!

Fish guy 91
01/04/2016, 01:45 PM
Fml found him on the carpet this morning. [emoji33][emoji32][emoji27][emoji24][emoji29] didn't think they were jumpers.... I'm really sad now. This really sucks

Calappidae
01/04/2016, 02:06 PM
Sadly the setup wasn't suitable for him regardless, I wouldn't invest in another until you have it's burrow requirements on par (they need a u-shaped pvc burrow and rubble to close it up for molting) as well as a very large setup.

If the O. scyllarus was 2" I'd say ok, let in grow in a smaller tank and upgrade to full size aquarium once it hits 3", but as kharn pointed out, O. scyllarus is a long term pain to keep, you have to be prepared for a chance to keep it awhile.

Sorry for your loss, I honestly forget to put lids on my setups as well, dispite knowing that can jump (one jumped at me)

Even though you kept G. Viridis, O.scyllarus is VERY different from that.

Fish guy 91
01/04/2016, 02:10 PM
Yea I'm going to wait till I have the 40 set up till I start looking for another. Just sucks so bad. Wish I had a screen now...

Fish guy 91
01/04/2016, 03:39 PM
So I have a 40 breeder with a sump, aside from the pvc burrows what else do I need? Deep sand bed lots of rock and what else?

Fish guy 91
01/04/2016, 03:54 PM
Do you think my cat could of caused him to jump out?

Calappidae
01/04/2016, 04:07 PM
So I have a 40 breeder with a sump, aside from the pvc burrows what else do I need? Deep sand bed lots of rock and what else?

I wouldn't overkill it with rock, as they do like roaming/swimming space, but have little chunks and rubble (light enough for it to pick up and move) so that it can close it's pvc burrow. If you need a rule of thumb, anything the size of it's carapace it should do fine with.

The PVC burrow should be large enough for it's legs to touch both sides and rotate/spin around with.

This is a good resource you can use for a "how to o. scyllarus" by our very own nmotz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27ejOxSlTQY

--
And Possibly, if the stomatopod gets spooked, it will jump. A cat isn't the only factor that can cause this either. Sometimes at night they go a bit crazy swimming and may see how far they can go before they hit another invisible wall, eventually going up. Another issue is them going down, the reason for this is if they go down, they may think it's a rock they can burrow deeper into and start striking glass. Laying an acrylic sheet at the base of your tank, and siliconing it so no dirt gets under is a smart precaution, although the rarity of this happening is pretty high, it's just a nice touch to say you took that precaution.

Fish guy 91
01/04/2016, 04:35 PM
Now that's a good idea! But I'm gonna blame the cat. He's an *******. Only thing good about him is that he shits in the toilet.

Fish guy 91
01/04/2016, 04:43 PM
Does anyone know where I can get a very small peacock?

Jlentz
01/04/2016, 07:30 PM
I'd just look for a smithii or something similar if you are planning on putting it in the nano again.

I've seen my peacock will swim to the surface of his 90g tank so I wouldn't be surprised if he would try to jump out of something a lot smaller.

Fish guy 91
01/04/2016, 07:43 PM
No I have a 40 breeder(I'm willing to set up)and I am in love with the peacocks! But I'll think about one for the 12

say car ramrod
01/04/2016, 07:54 PM
I had a g. Chiragra then on day she just randomly died. I just got a peacock and he is much less shy than my g. Chiragra. He always comes out whenever someone walks into my fish room. I could definitely see them being jumpers. Mine will swim all over my tank like a maniac when I feed him. A tip I've been told about mantis shrimp is to not feed them excessively since they will tend to horde food I their burrows which ultimately decays and pollutes your water.

Jlentz
01/04/2016, 08:14 PM
No I have a 40 breeder(I'm willing to set up)and I am in love with the peacocks! But I'll think about one for the 12

Big seems to be the way to go with these guys.

Fish guy 91
01/04/2016, 08:15 PM
Yea and after the peacock I don't see the point in keeping a second

nmotz
01/05/2016, 11:08 PM
I recommend planning a lot before setting up a Peacock tank. It's not just better for the animal, it'll be more fun for you too. Best of luck, feel free to ask questions here before making decisions so we can give you some input.

Fish guy 91
01/05/2016, 11:27 PM
Thank you! I will!

EI Gringo
01/06/2016, 05:14 AM
Man that is so unlucky. Odontodactylids are often jumpers especially o havenesis but it's still a rare thing, I have my water level 2 inches below the surface and the tank is tall at the back where the opening for the peacock enclosures are so I'm happy that there's very little chance of that happening. Cat spooking it seems a likely suspect, unless they are shocked they aren't likely to jump, they usually swim to the surface, find that they are at the surface and swim around the top but they're intelligent enough to know that leaving the water ain't a grade idea. I would avoid rimless for any reef tank to be honest part because of jumpers but mostly because of salt creep when your water level drops and they drop way faster than you think especially if you have major surface agitation like I do. Sorry for your loss man, that sucks hard

Fish guy 91
01/06/2016, 08:34 PM
Thanks el gringo! Yea it was definitely the cat.. Last night he hopped on the couch next to it and was peeking in. Something I've never seen him do before.

Cparcaut
01/07/2016, 04:31 PM
I would take the advice mentioned above and get a bit of a larger tank, otherwise best of luck!