PDA

View Full Version : need help with air bubble

iluvmyfishes
01/04/2016, 04:33 PM
I have kept seahorses for years but never had this issue with a bubble here. I think her eating is starting to suffer. I am not sure she can snick very well since this has gotten bigger. Any ideas on what I should do? I hate to pop it but I may have to if there is no other way.

Jeff4777
01/04/2016, 07:18 PM
Hmm no experience with a bubble there.. Only pouch issues. Interested on what Rayjay / others have to say. - wish your horse a speedy recovery.

rayjay
01/04/2016, 09:55 PM
I've never had that occur either, but I'd bet it's related to water quality just like other "blister" like conditions that appear elsewhere on their bodies.
First thing I'd do would be to place it in a 10g hospital tank with NEW salt water matching the pH and temperature of the tank water it comes from.
If you DO have to pop it, I would be treating the hospital tank with an antibiotic like Furan II and/or tri-sulpha.
It may be caused by chemical imbalances within the seahorse again due to water quality issues but that would require use of Diamox if it doesn't clear up using new water and keeping it refreshed with frequent large water changes.
Hopefully someone will chime in that HAS succeeded in a cure for this situation.

iluvmyfishes
01/05/2016, 09:58 AM
I have her in a 29 gal so I will do a major water change, although I do not really think the water is bad enough to cause that. She is new and I am thinking she was wild caught so what about the bends?

rayjay
01/05/2016, 10:27 AM
First of all, there aren't too many places to buy wild caught any more.
Also I'm assuming they are eating frozen mysis which would indicate at worst that they are tank raised Asian imports.
There are a number of places selling true captive bred ones now, increasing the odds that you have some of those.
If it had "the bends" I would expect the body to be swollen, not just a bubble.
The great majority of seahorses are found too shallow to get the bends anyway as far as I know.
While you don't THINK the water quality to be an issue, experience has shown many of us to be otherwise.
THERE ARE NO TEST KITS AVAILABLE to hobbyists that can tell you when the bacteria potential is dangerous or that chemical imbalances within the seahorse are going to occur.
Changing the water in the display tank will improve conditions there but I doubt it will suffice to correct the already present condition of that seahorse.
Total change in a hospital tank has a MUCH better chance of success.
It's also possible that the condition is due to conditions it had before you got it if you just received it in the last few days to a week.
Unfortunately because we can't test for these problems we have to be proactive with our husbandry practices.
My Thoughts on Seahorse Keeping (http://www.angelfire.com/ab/rayjay/seahorsekeeping.html)

iluvmyfishes
01/05/2016, 11:14 AM
I have been keeping seahorses successfully since 2001 which is longer than you have. and I have never had this issue. My seahorses have lived through much worse water quality caused by tank crashes, equipment malfunctions and moving. I think she is wild caught because she is very large and does not eat frozen very well. She also has no interest in live brine, only ghost shrimp. I do think there was something in the way she was treated before I got her that might have caused whatever chemical imbalance is going on. Regardless, as I stated, in 15 years I have never had this so I am asking for suggestions from anyone that has dealt with this. Is Diamox the only recommendation for meds? I have her in a 29 gal so I can turn that in to a QT easily.

BlueCat1949
01/05/2016, 01:51 PM
From your last description she does sound like a wild caught seahorse. I had a male seahorse with a bubble like this on his side. I moved him to a hospital tank ( 10 gallon so it was easier to calibrate dosages and make 80- 100% water changes) and tried diamox. I did three doses and major water changes but it wasn't successful and I lost the horse.

My main concern from your pix is that the bubble is right on the horses trigger and she will loose the ability to snick so fast action is needed. I wish I could help you more and hopefully it is not too late.

iluvmyfishes
01/05/2016, 04:42 PM
I am worried about her ability to snick too. I am keeping her in the 29 gal just because I think she has been transferred enough already and she has more pods in there since she doesn't seem to be able to eat the larger shrimp. I took out all my frags. did a 25% water change, syphoned the tank and HOB refugium for debris and treated with Furan 2. I do not have Diamox. My temp is around 73-74.

BlueCat1949
01/06/2016, 03:27 PM
Diamox is a human prescription med so I had to get it for my seahorse from a vet. The local pharmacy had never filled a script for a seahorse before. It said "for seahorse Barbie" on the label.

Good luck with your horse iluvmyfishes.

iluvmyfishes
02/29/2016, 09:24 AM
Good News! She is still alive and her gas bubble seems cured! I still have concerns over her eating habits, I think she hunts at night because I have yet to see her snick, but I have seen her hunting and she is still alive after 3 months so she must be eating.

dmcmares24
04/02/2016, 12:14 PM
Keep an eye on Her. GBD has been known to come back once you get it!

vlangel
04/02/2016, 01:48 PM
Good News! She is still alive and her gas bubble seems cured! I still have concerns over her eating habits, I think she hunts at night because I have yet to see her snick, but I have seen her hunting and she is still alive after 3 months so she must be eating.
I am very glad that she is still alive and seems to have improved. I hope eventually she has better eating habits but you must be doing the right things.

dbigfoot111
04/09/2016, 09:24 AM
great