PDA

View Full Version : Jebaos new dcs model pumps

DrawnToBeaches
01/06/2016, 03:54 PM
Before I bite the bullet was wondering if anyone has purchased and tried these. I'm looking at the dcs 7000 for a 40 breeder. If no one has tried it yet I'll post my experience when I finally get this sump set up

Ron Reefman
01/06/2016, 05:19 PM
I have the 4 of the original DC12000 from Jebao and if the DCS versions are any better, they should be great pumps.

DrawnToBeaches
01/06/2016, 07:35 PM
I have the 4 of the original DC12000 from Jebao and if the DCS versions are any better, they should be great pumps.
They're supposed to be vastly superior designs and manufacturing I guess I will find out. At 90 bucks for a controllable pump it's a steal.

Gorgok
01/06/2016, 08:47 PM
I had a DC12000 running some 2 years and a couple of months before it 'failed.' It actually still runs just can't hold a consistent speed, which makes using it on a siphon drain very problematic. Replaced with a DCT12000.

Even with a failure i still think its a good deal, and i plan to (eventually) try to see why the other is having its special snowflake moments.

If i had a fish room for gear i might consider external AC pumps, but internal pumps is all i will suffer with just a stand setup and these things are silent.

Ron Reefman
01/07/2016, 04:14 AM
I had a DC12000 running some 2 years and a couple of months before it 'failed.' It actually still runs just can't hold a consistent speed, which makes using it on a siphon drain very problematic. Replaced with a DCT12000.

Even with a failure i still think its a good deal, and i plan to (eventually) try to see why the other is having its special snowflake moments.

If i had a fish room for gear i might consider external AC pumps, but internal pumps is all i will suffer with just a stand setup and these things are silent.

My guess is it's the controller that is having the issue and you can buy a spare I think?

As for an external pump, I had a big, expensive Reeflo that got noisy after a couple of years. They gave me a free 'rebuilt' motor that lasted a couple more. I've had the DC12000 as an external pump running my CL since they first came out more than 2 years ago. It runs at top speed 24/7, runs just barely warm to the touch and dead quiet!

Gorgok
01/07/2016, 05:33 AM
I tried with the controller off my skimmer, swapping the controls around. No improvement on the pump and no worse on the skimmer. I also tried with a separate known good power supply (at 21V instead of 24V) and it still behaved the same, with the missing volts showing in a bit less flow.

I run the pump at about 50% all the time, just over 1000 gph or so says the weir calculator, so it could be that the motor controller (not the control box) is having issues with regulated speed. I tried slower speeds, but never tried full blast to see if the issue would go away.

I got it from fishstreet and sent an email about it (not really expecting much after 2 years). They offered to replace it with a DCT setup for a discount or sell just a DC-12000 motor for a little less. But i could get the DCT for a little less on amazon (with prime too) so skipped their offer because i really needed the tank to stop being stupid (flushing noises suddenly at all times of day is no fun).

If there was a way to remove potting without damage it would be really interesting to see if i could find the 3 true motor leads of the motor block and run wires to those, bypassing the potted controller. Put a real BLDC speed control to those leads and have some fun...

Rybren
01/07/2016, 06:00 AM
I have a DCS9000 running on my 120. It's only been operational for a couple of months, but I'm happy so far. It pushes a lot of water but does have a hum to it.

DrawnToBeaches
01/07/2016, 02:31 PM
I have a DCS9000 running on my 120. It's only been operational for a couple of months, but I'm happy so far. It pushes a lot of water but does have a hum to it.
I figured it might have a hum at those speeds, do you run it on full?

Gorgok
01/07/2016, 05:07 PM
Even if the motor is silent, past a certain rpm anything turning can be heard. The good thing with DC pumps is you can pick the rpm... Which is why i have a 12000 in a 75 instead of something smaller (12000 was the biggest they had at the time) and run it at about half output.

Id guess a DCS7000 running at half speed with 4 foot of head will still flow around 550 gph.

Rybren
01/07/2016, 05:43 PM
Here's the flow chart for the DCS series pump...

http://www.fish-street.com/images/products/editor/DCS_Hmax_VS_550.jpg

I run mine at about 40%

DrawnToBeaches
01/13/2016, 05:56 PM
Here's the flow chart for the DCS series pump...

http://www.fish-street.com/images/products/editor/DCS_Hmax_VS_550.jpg

I run mine at about 40%
Thank you for that. The dcs 7000 will fit my needs well enough. I'm gonna try it out.

FullBoreReefer
01/13/2016, 07:56 PM
What's the difference between the dct and the dcs? I only ask because Amazon has a great deal on the dct-8000 and I'm literally about to checkout until I saw this thread lol

DrawnToBeaches
01/14/2016, 12:34 AM
What's the difference between the dct and the dcs? I only ask because Amazon has a great deal on the dct-8000 and I'm literally about to checkout until I saw this thread lol
Biggest change I can see is the new impeller and body. Can't say for sure beyond the impeller, higher head

mms_citrus
01/14/2016, 12:53 AM
Anyone know if the dct pumps are compatible with digital aquatics dci and apc?

Uglyman
01/14/2016, 03:43 AM
I found out a bit late that the new DCT pumps can't be controlled by an APEX as far as I can see due to the redesign of the controller. :(

Rybren
01/14/2016, 05:33 AM
Biggest change I can see is the new impeller and body. Can't say for sure beyond the impeller, higher head

And they use less power

petperk
01/14/2016, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the information.
Just purchased the DCS-7000 from this seller from Amazon.http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01A9G4BH2
Price is cheaper than fishstreet.

DrawnToBeaches
01/14/2016, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the information.
Just purchased the DCS-7000 from this seller from Amazon.http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01A9G4BH2
Price is cheaper than fishstreet.
Shows up as not available but 102 bucks isn't too much for this pump, let's just hope it makes it 2 or 3 years I have a dct 4000 ordered also incase it fails

ReefCowboy
01/14/2016, 07:46 PM
Bought one to run my chiller and it quit within 3 weeks. If i moved the powercord around it would go on/off. Got rid of it

kenneth wolfe
01/15/2016, 12:10 AM
I have six running at the time, I do see one varying current threw my apex im sure its not 100% but I cant see it in the flow, Im going to swap it and see if it is the same as another. I have built skimmers and foam fractionators with these pumps ..there great. I will bet money says you can put a 12000 impeller on smaller units and get more flow. they all share the same head, just different motors and impellers. There all interchangeable , Also you can buy needle wheel for them...great pump for the money...

DrawnToBeaches
01/15/2016, 10:43 PM
I have six running at the time, I do see one varying current threw my apex im sure its not 100% but I cant see it in the flow, Im going to swap it and see if it is the same as another. I have built skimmers and foam fractionators with these pumps ..there great. I will bet money says you can put a 12000 impeller on smaller units and get more flow. they all share the same head, just different motors and impellers. There all interchangeable , Also you can buy needle wheel for them...great pump for the money...
Yeah I figured for 100 bucks a year warrantee is great for what I'm getting, if it lasts that long I'll be happy. Eventually I'll get a vectra m1 but not for this setup trying to keep this thing low funds.

Dactylopterus
06/14/2016, 10:49 AM
Gorgok, Uglyman, you could try this cheap controller to try your pump and connect to the APEX

Use PWM to control your Jebao DCT pump

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2584508

Dactylopterus
06/14/2016, 11:11 AM
Jebao DC pump series have the speed controller built in the Motor block. Heat can burn the controller and then you have a dead pump. On DCT and DCS pumps, they moved the controller out of the motor block so less chance of a dead pump and is cheaper to replace the external controller than the pump block.
In theory DCT and DCS pumps should be more reliable.

That's why DC pumps can be controlled directly by the APEX
DCT and DCS pumps can be controlled by the APEX but need an external controller like the one used in the post I provided before