PDA

View Full Version : Help. Snowflake eel dying?

Matthewmiller7
01/06/2016, 05:45 PM
Hi all. I have a 9 month old snowflake eel that is about 10-12 inches long. I've likely overfed him since ownership (feed 2 krill daily), but 3 weeks ago I came home to a missing banded coral shrimp. I assume the eel ate him. I didn't think much at the time, but the eel (who ate every day) has not eaten since then. He seems a bit bulky in his front half, and has been "breathing" more labored it seems.

Today, he was hanging sort of upside down, and I watched as he vomited blood twice, before retreating under his hiding place.

Is he dying? Ive read that bamded coral shrimp can be toxic.. But after 3 weeks, i feel that he is likely suffering a physical obstruction, rather than poisoning. Other fish and snails in tank are fine. Water levels are all normal, other than elevated phosphates (due to my overfeeding)

Thanks all!

Matthewmiller7
01/07/2016, 12:29 AM
Well, no reply is needed. Eel died tonight. :(
Sad. He actually measured 14". Only thing I can reason is that he was poisoned when eating the banded coral shrimp. No obstruction was found, and his digestive tract was actually completely empty.