PDA

View Full Version : multiple HOB overflows?

rBlair
01/07/2016, 12:35 PM
still a newbie here having my 75 gal for only about 6 mths but I found a good deal on 180 gallon that is not drilled. It has no labeling to determine the mfg. so I'm thinking I'll just use a HOB overflow, probably lifereef or eshoppes.

With the tank being 6 ft long is it better to have 2 smaller overflow boxes, one on each end, or one that is capable of handling the flow. I'm thinking it makes more sense to have 2 but there may be issues I'm not thinking about. The plan is to start the tank as FOWLR and add corals in the future

thanks

gone fishin
01/07/2016, 12:41 PM
If I were in that position I think I would go with 2 overflows. But I would suggest waiting for a drilled tank to come along. Good luck just my 2 cents.

rsain
01/07/2016, 03:19 PM
If the tank is an amazing deal then just have the thing drilled at a local glass shop. Or, buy the bit and drill yourself. Check youtube for examples. It's scary the first time, but not so bad once you've done it! Just check to make sure the piece to be drilled is NOT TEMPERED GLASS.

- ryan

Irishman360
01/07/2016, 04:47 PM
I would get the tank drilled if I was going for the 180. It'll cause less headaches in the long run for sure. BRS (Bulk Reef Supply) has a glass drilling kit, I believe its reasonably priced, they also have a video on how to do it as well.