PDA

View Full Version : Xenia (?) ID please (what type is this?)

Coelli
01/07/2016, 06:08 PM
Someone recently gave me some silver xenia for my sump fuge and display fuge. I threw the biggest pieces in the display fuge and tossed the rest in the sump, where there's already some white (pink) xenia. A week later I happened to be poking around in there and noticed that some of the new xenia looked different. I've moved it to the display fuge, but was wondering what kind it is. It does not pulse at all. Is it actually xenia? If so, what type? If it's not xenia what is it? Thanks!

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1587/24213778626_87a86e4c85_z_d.jpg

Dkuhlmann
01/07/2016, 06:32 PM
I'm not all that familiar with these kinds of corals but could it be a Clove Polyp

Coelli
01/07/2016, 08:00 PM
I'm not all that familiar with these kinds of corals but could it be a Clove Polyp

Yeah, it's weird - it's not as "frilly" as clove polyps or xenia. I'm stumped. :D

Dkuhlmann
01/08/2016, 03:48 AM
LOL then it's a weed, nuke it with Fire :lmao: JK

Four drachma
01/10/2016, 03:16 PM
It looks like Xenia. You may have something toxic in your water causing it to stay closed. Check and be sure no metal screws or anything metal has fallen in your sump.

Run carbon for a month and see if it starts looking normal. FYI if Xenia gets a foothold it has the potential to spread very quickly.

On a positive note though if the carbon clears things up then you can always use the Xenia as a sign if toxins are present in your water.

Coelli
01/10/2016, 04:07 PM
It looks like Xenia. You may have something toxic in your water causing it to stay closed. Check and be sure no metal screws or anything metal has fallen in your sump.

Run carbon for a month and see if it starts looking normal. FYI if Xenia gets a foothold it has the potential to spread very quickly.

On a positive note though if the carbon clears things up then you can always use the Xenia as a sign if toxins are present in your water.

I have two other types of xenia (silver and white) that are both healthy and pulsing in multiple colonies. All xenia are restricted to the refugiums. :) They're not allowed in the mixed reef. I also run a carbon reactor, so I don't think it's a toxin that's causing it to not pulse, if it does.

joshbrookkate
01/10/2016, 04:13 PM
I have two other types of xenia (silver and white) that are both healthy and pulsing in multiple colonies. All xenia are restricted to the refugiums. :) They're not allowed in the mixed reef. I also run a carbon reactor, so I don't think it's a toxin that's causing it to not pulse, if it does.

What's the advantage to having zenia in a refugium? I love the look of zenias but I'm afraid to put it in my DT because everyone says it can and will take over. Will it do the same in a sump or refugium?
Thanks. Michelle

Coelli
01/10/2016, 05:29 PM
What's the advantage to having zenia in a refugium? I love the look of zenias but I'm afraid to put it in my DT because everyone says it can and will take over. Will it do the same in a sump or refugium?
Thanks. Michelle

Xenia does filter water, and you can export nutrients by trimming it. Some people run xenia-only refugiums but chaeto is probably more efficient. Confined to a refugium it can still take over but the damage can be mitigated. :) I actually love it too, it's why I still keep it in my sump refugium (which is on one side of my sump, not the middle, with a canvas screen along the top) and now in the display refugium. I'm going to move some of the white xenia to the display fuge soon since it's my favorite type (so girly!).

Dkuhlmann
01/10/2016, 06:18 PM
Thanks. Michelle

Michelle, you answered the reason why :lmao:

I don't even want it or GSP in my sump, my luck it would end up in the DT anyway. :headwalls:

Coelli
01/10/2016, 06:57 PM
Michelle, you answered the reason why :lmao:

I don't even want it or GSP in my sump, my luck it would end up in the DT anyway. :headwalls:

Lol! I have GSP in my display, but it's confined to the overflow and every now and then I "mow the lawn." :) It's not allowed to touch anything else!

Dria
01/10/2016, 07:13 PM
Thanks. Michelle
I feel the same way. I love the pulse corals but I'm afraid to try them with all the threads here complaining about them. Are there no pulsers that behave themselves? :(

joshbrookkate
01/11/2016, 09:48 PM
Lol! I have GSP in my display, but it's confined to the overflow and every now and then I "mow the lawn." :) It's not allowed to touch anything else!

Could you post a picture of that? I'm intrigued...

Coelli
01/12/2016, 12:20 AM
Could you post a picture of that? I'm intrigued...

Sure, lights are out for the night but here's a side shot of the tank from recently. :)

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5679/24047706541_a8564a7fbb_z_d.jpg

I just peel it off when needed.

Fish Junction
01/16/2016, 05:45 PM
Looks to be an Anthelia or common name "waving hand". Not seen as much now in the hobby as it was 20 years ago. easy way to identify is Anthelia cannot fully retract its polyps and stems.

Coelli
01/16/2016, 09:01 PM
Looks to be an Anthelia or common name "waving hand". Not seen as much now in the hobby as it was 20 years ago. easy way to identify is Anthelia cannot fully retract its polyps and stems.

Thanks! I can still remove it if it's a pest (it's in my display refugium, so not really bothering anything). Any reason to?

Fish Junction
01/16/2016, 11:05 PM
It is not a pest in my opinion, it's not as evasive as xenia and is not what I would consider to be an aggressive coral.

Coelli
01/16/2016, 11:18 PM
It is not a pest in my opinion, it's not as evasive as xenia and is not what I would consider to be an aggressive coral.

Okay cool :) FWIW I have xenia in the display fuge too - I don't care if it takes off there. The anthelia is a nice color under 6500k so if it's not a problem, it can stay!