PDA

View Full Version : Chaeto and/or GFO

Zirco
01/08/2016, 10:06 AM
Is it possible to both run a GFO reactor and keep Chaeto alive in a refugium? Or will the GFO reactor starve the Chaeto of phosphates?

I currently have just two baby clowns in my 150g. Lots of diatoms in the tank and in the refugium and a golf ball sized ball of chaeto that is staying alive but isn't getting any bigger. Not running a GFO reactor yet but considering it.

thegrun
01/08/2016, 11:19 AM
I keep both macro algae and run GFO on my main system. The algae growth isn't great, but it still grows. I would only run GFO if there is a need, with only two small fish in your 150 you probably do not need to unless your rock is leaching phosphates into the water, what is your phosphate level?

Zirco
01/08/2016, 01:08 PM
Phosphates are currently at 0.00. My nitrates are high after cycling the tank. I think the phosphates must be the limiting factor for the algae growth, so what little algae I have is soaking up any phosphates in the water.

I soaked my rock in RO/DI water for a couple of months which pulled out a bit of phosphate but doesn't seem like it ever had too much.

The reason I was thinking of running GFO was some of the stuff I've read that says that it's much harder to get rid of algae once it's established than to prevent it in the first place. Good to know that it's possible to run both though - thanks.

Ogi
01/08/2016, 01:33 PM
I run both gfo and have a refugium.