PDA

View Full Version : Adding Acropora frags when Magnesium is too high

BlackTip
01/08/2016, 11:23 AM
I have bryopsis algae. Today, I am going to start raising the magnesium level and keep it high for couples of weeks or so. 1700ppt to 1800ppt

Would it be a bad idea to add SPS and LPS frags while the mag. level is high?

Reef Frog
01/08/2016, 11:59 AM
Remember that the magnesium has to be the TechM brand by Kent to get results.

There were just 2 recent threads on some negative effects to some SPS - montis I believe. Check them for yourself and see what you think.

Personally, I wouldn't do it unless it was an extra frag of low value for experimentation purposes. I'd get rid of the bryopsis first, before adding anything else.

BlackTip
01/08/2016, 12:02 PM
^^
Thanks, I am going to use KentM.

I am just enticed by the current LA sale, which I've been waiting for for couple of months. I know it is better to take care or problems first, but the impatient part of me wants to hear different answer...:)

Reef Frog
01/08/2016, 12:37 PM
I hear ya. It's a gamble I suppose. It could work out well, but is it worth the money spent and grief if it doesn't work out? Have you kept acros before? If it's your first time the odds get longer. Longer still if they're wild caught. Acros are a challenge under the best of circumstances.

Also, you probably will need to drive phosphates down and keep them as near zero as possible to keep bryopsis down long term & eventually eradicated (been there).

Hydrogen peroxide use & immediate use of PO4 export is another way to go in getting rid of bryopsis without hiking your levels of essential elements way beyond natural levels and with no chemical side effects. It may be worth reading the threads on the subject.

BlackTip
01/08/2016, 12:51 PM
^^^
I have 2 acros frags captive grown, which have been doing well since I introduced them 5 weeks ago. I want to get captive grown.

My phosphate is close to 0, because I am running GFO, and it has been very low for 2 months. Nitrate were 2 ppm when I tested 2 weeks ago. I do water change every week. All other parameters are withing good range.

Despite my best efforts, bryopsis have been spreading. Manual removel make them spread faster, it appears.

I did read many posts and articles about them, and I came to conclusion that I need to use KentM. I ordered it a month ago from Amazon, which after waiting 2 weeks, I received the wrong product. Then I returned it and ordered from DFS, and waited another 10 days for it.

davocean
01/08/2016, 07:01 PM
Your mag would have to be extremely high to have any bad affects, well beyond the 2,000 mark.
I would not hesitate

FullBoreReefer
01/08/2016, 08:15 PM
I have done two tech m treatments over the years. Never lost a single frag and/or colony of anything.

Just raise slowly, about 100ppm daily, max. I would usually hold mine there for about two weeks. Then let it slowly drop as I do water changes.

Buy the tech m by the gallon, it's waaaaay cheaper, like $32.

bobbravo2
01/08/2016, 09:36 PM
+1 for raising it slowly. I'm dealing with another bryopsis outbreak myself. I must have missed some the first time around.

Raise Mg slowly - I'd say 40ppm/day would be my speed. 100ppm/day is too fast IMHO - but I like to play it safe. You can never raise it too slow, but you can definitely shock things by going too quick.

Also - I've seen good results in the 1600ppm range. Hold it there for 2 weeks and watch tangs/CuC eat it away!

danrobberg
01/08/2016, 09:50 PM
Not to derail but why does it have to be tech m by Kent marine?

bobbravo2
01/08/2016, 09:51 PM

That or Brightwell HydratMg. They have some sort of magnesium salt that causes the bryopsis to melt/turn white/become edible

Reef Frog
01/10/2016, 12:09 AM

It's attributed to an "impurity" or extra ingredient in the TechM. No one has ever offered an explanation of what it is or how or why it works. (There are a few reports of it not working but that may be user error). Supposedly there are all kinds of other chemicals in the product

The whole thing was discovered accidentally if memory serves me correctly.

Blacktip: Just curious. Have you decided to introduce acro frags while you're doing the TechM treatment?

Go.Fish
01/10/2016, 12:18 AM
I ran my mag up to 1950 recently with Tech M. It was the 2nd time trying. I introduced a new Acro frag and it died overnight (pretty crude acclimation procedure mind you) but I honestly never really drip acclimate anyway.40-50% tissue loss overnight, it never recovered.
I would wait to buy new frags till it comes back down

I'm also one of a few that Tech M did not work for. Tried 1800 for 3 weeks .And then a second time to 1950 for 3 weeks. Nada.

BlackTip
01/10/2016, 09:47 AM
Blacktip: Just curious. Have you decided to introduce acro frags while you're doing the TechM treatment?

I've been contemplating this for the past two days, and I am going to do it. If I order today, I should receive the frags on Tue. The magnesium level should be around 1500 ppm by then. I will hold it right there and don't dose any more. I will acclimate the frags and put them in the tank. I am going to observe for few days, if everything looks ok, then I am going to continue dosing slowly (40 ppm a day), until I reach 1700 ppm. If things doesn't look good, then I can do a quick water change and get the magnesium back to 1400 ppm.

Sounds like a good plan?

Reef Frog
01/10/2016, 01:45 PM
Well, I've never done the TechM procedure. But it sounds like you're aware of and OK the risk with the Acro frags and have thought through a procedure to mitigate possible damage. I wouldn't do it, but it's your aquarium we're talking about, not mine.

But if the Acros do STN like described in an earlier post, it can happen so fast that there's nothing you can really do except try to frag the frag, get it out of the tank and hope for the best.

However, I was looking at your sig line. You have what looks like a great system. Why not use your 20g QT tanks to hold the Acros while you do the procedure? Maybe even keep one in the treated tank as an experiment? That seems like the safest bet to me. Best of luck in whatever way you go!

BlackTip
01/10/2016, 01:52 PM
Well, I've never done the TechM procedure. But it sounds like you're aware of and OK the risk with the Acro frags and have thought through a procedure to mitigate possible damage. I wouldn't do it, but it's your aquarium we're talking about, not mine.

But if the Acros do STN like described in an earlier post, it can happen so fast that there's nothing you can really do except try to frag the frag, get it out of the tank and hope for the best.

However, I was looking at your sig line. You have what looks like a great system. Why not use your 20g QT tanks to hold the Acros while you do the procedure? Maybe even keep one in the treated tank as an experiment? That seems like the safest bet to me. Best of luck in whatever way you go!

I don't have a QT tank setup properly for corals. I will get to it one day....:)
I will post about the progress.