PDA

View Full Version : 29 gallon sps and malu setup

fermentedhiker
01/08/2016, 03:01 PM
So I've been tweaking this setup as the algae cycle chugs along. It's a standard 29 from a petco 1$/gallon sale.

Light is a reef radiance chinese box light(thinking of supplementing with 2 T5 retrofit bulbs.

filtration is a toms rapids pro wet/dry with the wet section full of reef rubble and the "dry" or drip section just used for chemical stuff(purigen, carbon, phosban), with a built in skimmer.

for extra flow I've added a jebao wp10 set on else mode.

temp is two jager 50watt heaters controlled by the apex jr that's running my other 29 mixed reef.

Current corals;
rehabing birdsnest(sexy shrimp were killing it)
rehabbing VDM polyp(asterina stars took a liking to it)
candy apple zoas
Purple poci
red plating monti
rainbow monti(mounted on a magnetic frag plug on the back wall)

future coral plans
a couple more zoas/palys to create a mix polyp rock
darth maul porites(possibly mounted low on the back glass)
3 or 4 nicer acros

current inverts;
4 blue legged hermits
1 astrea snail
1 trochus
2 nerite
5 zig zag perwinkle
10 dwarf planaxis
10 dwarf cerith
3 nassarius
1 emerald crab
1 skunk cleaner shrimp

future inverts
porcelain crab
yellow cuke(relocated from other tank)
malu anemone
squat lobster(if i find them again)
acro crab(once the colonies have gotten big)

future fish stocklist
pair of clown oce or percs(debating between black photon, onyx, and mochavinci atm)
beyond that not sure at this point.

Here's an FTS of how it is today.
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j400/fermentedhiker/20160108_124158_zpsi2ndqpgu.jpg (http://s1083.photobucket.com/user/fermentedhiker/media/20160108_124158_zpsi2ndqpgu.jpg.html)

nanO352
01/08/2016, 05:27 PM
I dig the sand, how do you plan to keep it clean?

fermentedhiker
01/08/2016, 06:31 PM
I dig the sand, how do you plan to keep it clean?

Thanks
mostly just vigorous stirring just before doing a WC. with a little help from the nassarius and the next time I place on order I'll probably try a tonga nassarius to see if they move more sand around.

fermentedhiker
01/09/2016, 04:39 PM
my current puzzle is what intensity to run the lights at. at the moment it's blues for 12hours ramping from 10-40% in 1 hour steps and then back down in the evening. Whites are 10hours at 10%

with it mounted on the tank rim it's about 21" off the sand bed.

fermentedhiker
01/10/2016, 04:15 PM
Finally took the tie to take the fixture apart and remove the optics from the center three rows of leds. Nice improvement in getting rid of shadows and coverage on the ends. Of course that means I'll have to redo my levels to compensate.