PDA

View Full Version : New to the hobby

westernmass
01/09/2016, 12:47 AM
I am new the the hobby and with a 15 gal freshwater tank. Looking forward to my first reef tank, but wanted to do the research first. Anyone knows a book for the starter or local club in the Springfield, MA area, please let me know.

Thank you.

CafeReef
01/09/2016, 02:32 AM
Honetly, I think you will find more resources to getting started here than you will find in a book. Everyone has different variations and ideas on how to do it, and you will get fantastic advise from people here who in some cases have been at it for decades.

Welcome and enjoy, it's a great ride!

satoshi
01/09/2016, 02:35 AM
Welcome!!! I am also new here and I would like to offer you some free live rocks. A couple of members here offered to give me some corals for free so I figure i'll spread the good karma around.

satoshi
01/09/2016, 02:36 AM
Ooops, sorry i didnt see that your from MA. It might be quite a journey to california for a few rocks :/

Marchillo
01/09/2016, 02:50 AM
Most Western Mass people hang out in the CT Forum. I live pretty close to you near Bradley Airport. It's a very active forum CTARS is the club. I'm actually not a member yet. Here is the link to the local forum page. Pm me if you have any questions but for just starting up read all the stickies here and then ask questions. Welcome!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=186

gone fishin
01/09/2016, 06:48 AM
There some great stickies at the top of the forum namely the "setting up" sticky.

When I lived in CT the CTARS forum was great very active. A good bunch of folks, I hated losing that resource. Another group is the Boston reefers but that would be a bit of a haul.

westernmass
01/09/2016, 10:03 AM
Thank you Satoshi, but I am still in research phase. It will be some time before I start gathering equipment, but thank you for the kindly offer.

westernmass
01/09/2016, 10:04 AM
Most Western Mass people hang out in the CT Forum. I live pretty close to you near Bradley Airport. It's a very active forum CTARS is the club. I'm actually not a member yet. Here is the link to the local forum page. Pm me if you have any questions but for just starting up read all the stickies here and then ask questions. Welcome!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=186

Thank you, Marchillo. I will look into the link that you provided.

westernmass
01/09/2016, 10:05 AM
There some great stickies at the top of the forum namely the "setting up" sticky.

When I lived in CT the CTARS forum was great very active. A good bunch of folks, I hated losing that resource. Another group is the Boston reefers but that would be a bit of a haul.

I actually work near the Bradley airport, so I will look into this club. Thank you, gone fishin.

westernmass
01/09/2016, 10:06 AM
Honetly, I think you will find more resources to getting started here than you will find in a book. Everyone has different variations and ideas on how to do it, and you will get fantastic advise from people here who in some cases have been at it for decades.

Welcome and enjoy, it's a great ride!

Thank you, CafeReef. This is why I am here...