PDA

View Full Version : Filling tank, water level is off by 1/4"

ScubaNemo
01/09/2016, 11:30 AM
Hey guys,

I just started filling in my Reefer 350 ( 47" long) for the first time, the water level is 1/4" off from side to side.
The stand is on hardwood floors and has multiple little legs which would make it difficult to shim. Here is a picture of the level on the front glass.
Would the floors settle in a bit with the weight? Should I be concerned?

EricGRIT
01/09/2016, 11:44 AM
You should shim it between the floor and the stand. The floor shouldn't settle under the weight of a tank - if you do then you have a problem structurally. I wouldn't be okay with it that far off level.

chilli_reef
01/09/2016, 12:27 PM
Did you make the stand your self ?
Also I would try this...take a marble or something like a ball with a smooth surface and place it in front of the tank on the floor.let go and see what it does. That is a simple way to tell if your floor is unlevel. Chances are high it slants either way. There is really no such thing as a level and square house.
They are all off in some way shape or form from floor to roof.

outy
01/09/2016, 12:28 PM
I shim my tank using roofing shingles.

chilli_reef
01/09/2016, 12:31 PM
It may be a little.more risky shimming a 350g tank that's only 47" long though.

vhuang168
01/09/2016, 12:33 PM

It's 350l. Works out to be 92g

ScubaNemo
01/09/2016, 05:44 PM
I think I will empty the water I filled so far, about quarter full so far, and shim it. Better safe than sorry. Will be challenging though as the stand has little feet and it will be a hassle taking all the equipment out and turning the stand upside down to remove the feet. I will have to figure out shimming it with the feet on.

ScubaNemo
01/09/2016, 05:46 PM

The stand is made by Red Sea and I assembled it. The display tank is 73 gallons.

saltydog1
01/09/2016, 05:56 PM
I think I will empty the water I filled so far, about quarter full so far, and shim it. Better safe than sorry. Will be challenging though as the stand has little feet and it will be a hassle taking all the equipment out and turning the stand upside down to remove the feet. I will have to figure out shimming it with the feet on.

Let us know how it works out. I'm getting ready to set mine up and wondered the same thing about the feet. ;)

ScubaNemo
01/09/2016, 05:59 PM
Let us know how it works out. I'm getting ready to set mine up and wondered the same thing about the feet. ;)

Ok Steve will do. You will love the quality of this tank and stand. Can't wait to get it all up and running!

Neoz
01/09/2016, 08:26 PM
I just set my 450 Reefer up and have the same issue. Need to find a way to level mine as way so I'll be watching. Please post pictures and let us know the darn little feet.

ScubaNemo
01/09/2016, 09:05 PM
I just set my 450 Reefer up and have the same issue. Need to find a way to level mine as way so I'll be watching. Please post pictures and let us know the darn little feet.

Will do Dave :-)
What I don't understand, how is that different from having the wave makers blasting and the water mass is dancing right and left in the display tank? Wouldn't that put pressure on the seams as well?
I have the new Neptune WAV pumps and they are supposed to be pretty powerful.

jj5
01/09/2016, 09:09 PM
I would definitely empty that water out and re level from the base of the stand. While the water will put strain on the low side it will put even more strain on the stand. A 73 gallon flood will be no fun. Good Luck.

ScubaNemo
01/10/2016, 01:54 PM
Ok here's the update guys as promised. The tank was emptied and shimmed with Home Depot composite shims. Now I finally have a leveled tank.

saltydog1
01/10/2016, 02:04 PM
Ok here's the update guys as promised. The tank was emptied and shimmed with Home Depot composite shims. Now I finally have a leveled tank.

:thumbsup: Thanks and congrats !!!

oseymour
01/10/2016, 04:45 PM
Waiting on my 350 to be delivered so thanks for posting this. Do you think those shims will work on carpet?

WilRams
01/10/2016, 04:57 PM
Waiting on my 350 to be delivered so thanks for posting this. Do you think those shims will work on carpet?

Should work no problem

ScubaNemo
01/10/2016, 05:02 PM

Sure, that's why we have reef central, to help each other as we go through the same obstacles :fun2:

To be able to shim on the carpet you probably will need to have a wooden board under the entire stand then shim between the board and the stand.

outy
01/10/2016, 07:24 PM
To be able to shim on the carpet you probably will need to have a wooden board under the entire stand then shim between the board and the stand.

On my 215 I used 8 magazines laid out on the floor. My stand had a solid plywood bottom.

Still level after 6 years