PDA

View Full Version : Green Mandarin Help??????

cheesecreaper
01/09/2016, 11:37 PM
I have a 36-gallon mixed reef with a 15-20 gallon sump with refugium. I recently purchased a fat male mandarin from my LFS that ate a small amount of frozen Mysis shrimp in store. He has been in my tank now for two days and he very rarely moves around. He is usually under some of the overhangs in my live rock. I have never seen him pecking at the rock for pods. Is there something wrong with this fish?:confused:

I should add that I will soon be setting up a microalgae culture to feed pods that I will raise for the mandarin and rotifers for clownfish larvae.

fairl80z
01/09/2016, 11:47 PM
How old is your tank?

cheesecreaper
01/10/2016, 12:10 AM
The tank has been established for a little over a year.

cheesecreaper
01/10/2016, 12:33 AM
I'm thinking that this fish was captured using cyanide. What are the key symptoms of cyanide poisoning? Also is there anyway to treat the fish if it is cyanide?

Coelli
01/10/2016, 01:55 AM
You mean the green mandarin that's actually mostly blue, not the spotted mandarin? I don't know about the spotted ones, but my green (blue) mandarin is very active and always cruising the tank and hunting when the lights are on. He probably covers the tank multiple times a day. He's actually my second one - the first, like yours, hid and was not active and died after 4 days. It was pretty malnourished when I got it though. Hopefully yours is just settling in... but the sad fact is, they have a very high mortality rate. :(

ThRoewer
01/10/2016, 02:38 AM
How is the pod population in your tank? Can you see some on the rocks or on the sand/gravel?

What other fish are in the tank.

I'm thinking that this fish was captured using cyanide. What are the key symptoms of cyanide poisoning? Also is there anyway to treat the fish if it is cyanide?

Mandarins are usually rather caught with mini crossbows and little arrows than with cyanide, even in places like the Philippines. But some places may still catch them with cyanide or collect them as collateral damage when catching other fish with cyanide.

It is really hard to tell as the same symptoms also show with diseases, intestinal infections and parasites.

Some got a dose just enough to cause liver damage. Many usually eat well and always have full bellies but still loose weight. But this could also be symptoms of an intestinal infection with bacteria or worms.
Other fish that got a higher dose or are more sensitive may be apathetic and show no interest in anything. They usually waste away quickly.

There are also some that will survive but may be infertile or have other long term health issue.

Others that just got a mild dose may just do fine.

According to Kordon treatment could be done with Methylene Blue (http://www.kordon.com/kordon/products/chemical-preventatives-and-treatments-2/methylene-blue#compatabilities!):
"...
The properties of the drug as an oxygen transporter (it converts methemoglobin to the normal oxygen carrying component of fish blood, hemoglobin) allow it to be used in the treatment of known cyanide and nitrite poisoning of aquarium fishes. It has been suggested that newly arrived marine fish placed in Methylene Blue can have their survival rate increased as Methylene Blue aids in the reversal of nitrite and/or cyanide poisoning.
..."

I seriously doubt that it will be able to reverse liver damage. Also it probably would need to be administered right after the fish was caught with cyanide.
Lastly, I'm not sure Methylene Blue is without its own harm to reef fish.

snorvich
01/10/2016, 06:06 AM
I have a 36-gallon mixed reef with a 15-20 gallon sump with refugium. I recently purchased a fat male mandarin from my LFS that ate a small amount of frozen Mysis shrimp in store. He has been in my tank now for two days and he very rarely moves around. He is usually under some of the overhangs in my live rock. I have never seen him pecking at the rock for pods. Is there something wrong with this fish?:confused:

I should add that I will soon be setting up a microalgae culture to feed pods that I will raise for the mandarin and rotifers for clownfish larvae.

Sounds like a cyanide capture mandarin.

cheesecreaper
01/10/2016, 12:35 PM
I can see pods but he is not showing interest in anything. I have 2 clowns, 1 banggai cardinal, and 1 yellow head sleeper goby.

fairl80z
01/11/2016, 05:13 AM
All the other fish fine ? I would take it back before it dies on you and you are stuck with a dead fish , and a loss of money . Take. It back and get another one

snorvich
01/11/2016, 05:54 AM
All the other fish fine ? I would take it back before it dies on you and you are stuck with a dead fish , and a loss of money . Take. It back and get another one

Many places rightly do not take fish back. If the mandarin is not hunting, it will die in any case.

fairl80z
01/11/2016, 07:15 AM
Many places rightly do not take fish back. If the mandarin is not hunting, it will die in any case.

In some cases yes , I've never had that problem though . Just tell them that you change your mind about it .

cheesecreaper
01/11/2016, 08:09 AM
I have already taken it back. I used my store credit to buy some stuff for my clownfish breeding attempt.

snorvich
01/11/2016, 10:39 AM
In some cases yes , I've never had that problem though . Just tell them that you change your mind about it .

And you think that is ethical?

fairl80z
01/11/2016, 10:42 AM
And you think that is ethical?

Depends on what kind of place you bought the fish from . If you bought it from a shady Lfs then yes , don't hesitate to do it .

snorvich
01/11/2016, 10:45 AM
Depends on what kind of place you bought the fish from . If you bought it from a shady Lfs then yes , don't hesitate to do it .

So why would one shop at a shady LFS?

fairl80z
01/11/2016, 10:47 AM
So why would one shop at a shady LFS?

Because they had a good deal on a fish ... Why else would you ?

snorvich
01/11/2016, 10:58 AM
Because they had a good deal on a fish ... Why else would you ?

Then you deserve what you get. Enough of this type of "discussion".

fairl80z
01/11/2016, 11:05 AM
Then you deserve what you get. Enough of this type of "discussion".

Agreed , dont want to argue