PDA

View Full Version : Help with Algae Turf Scrubber

RDCompton03
01/10/2016, 04:10 PM
About six weeks ago I built and installed a floating ATS. It was similar in design to the Santa Monica. My motivation wasnt so much to improve water parameters. Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and phosphates we all checking 0 although I did have some scattered cyanobacteria. The only green algae was some growing on one of my pumps. My motivation was actually to allow me to feed heavier and maintain the low nutrient levels. But after 6 weeks I have very minimal algae growing in the ATS. I do get cyanobacteria growing in the ATS but really no green algae. I havent began to increase the feeding yet. Is there any explanation for the low algae growth aside from low nutrients? Im reasonably sure the ATS is functioning properly just no algae. Should I try to totally get rid of the cyano before increasing feeding or go ahead and feed heavier? Im just not sure where to go. I was even considering redesigning the ats and turning it into an upflow. Any thoughts or recommendations?

ecotanker
01/10/2016, 07:02 PM
I think you should feed more. Cyanobacteria are fixers of nitrogen, that is they can produce their own nitrate. So their presence in your is a sign that nitrate, nitrite and ammo is very limited in your tank. When you feed more food there will be more nitrogen for other "algae" to use and enabling them to eventually out compete the cyano.

Just my opinion based upon what I have read.

Crusinjimbo
01/10/2016, 08:51 PM
Specific information on your tank (size, filtration, scrubber lighting and flow, ratchet., would probably you more comprehensive answers. My guess based on the limited info is you either have an ultra low nutrient system or your scrubber is not up to the task due to inadequate lighting, flow, etc.

AZRippster
01/11/2016, 10:02 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1977420&page=297

OhMatic
01/12/2016, 05:00 PM
My algae scrubbers each took longer than six weeks to get a good green algae growth.
I assume crusinjimbo is correct.
For me getting algae started seemed to be more difficult than for others but once started algae seems to be able to grow in almost any nutrient level...