PDA

View Full Version : New Coral addition, shrinks into nothing

GiermoIVI
01/12/2016, 11:09 AM
Hello

I have had a few new corals (frags?) do this now.

From what it looks like, the corals shrink, and seem to disintegrate over time.
At first i thought the glue was just slipping off, and that was the cause, but after a few similar experiences i am now concerned.

Top red arrows in pic show the new coral that is doing this. at the base it seems to be pulling back and shrinking.

The bottom arrows by the crab, are the tentacles of another new coral i had added that disintegrated.

So confused, and tips are appreciated. All other corals in tank are fine. I find 1 out of every 4 new corals added tend to do something like this.

garygonzales
01/12/2016, 05:42 PM
need to know more info...parameters how new is tank..lighting...ect...

GiermoIVI
01/12/2016, 06:30 PM
Tank is 2 years old.

Lighting is 2x30W LED - not the best spectrum for reefs, so im looking for replacement now that i have amounted enough livestock to make it worth while.

Water paramaters are normal for my tank. maybe a little high on phosphates

here is a pic of the main coral that disintegrated, with its tentacles still alive and in the above pic by the hermit.

Dkuhlmann
01/13/2016, 04:59 AM
We really need to see all of your parameters because what you see as normal we might see something wrong, and you obviously have something wrong by the indications of your coral.

Also you're posting pictures of leather corals and they do get frumpy if something isn't right but they also get like this when they are getting ready to shed. Leathers like lots of flow and higher lighting. The lighting you currently have is fine for most leathers and softies.

GiermoIVI
01/15/2016, 08:15 AM
Okay thanks, my other leathers are fine, i will just wait it out ;)