PDA

View Full Version : KALK - First time! Help please!

WhiteTang
01/12/2016, 01:33 PM
Hello!

I have been struggling to keep my Ca/ALK levels in my 16g since I got it 2 years ago. I have tried the 2part dosing (manually) but that was a big failure.

I have been looking into buying a eshopps IV-200 to do the job and then I remembered Kalk. I did some extensive reading but I am not sure I got it right! That is why I want your help.

What I have understood so far is:
1) I brink my tanks levels to where I want them.
2)that I buy some Kalk powder, mix it with RO/DI water according to the directions on the packaging
3) and then add that water in my ATO reservoir.

and voila I have stable Ca/ALK levels (if somewhat elevated PH)?

Could it really be that easy?

Sk8r
01/12/2016, 01:42 PM
Yep. ONce established, test nitrate (on general principles) and magnesium weekly. Mg depletion will cause alk and cal to fall. As long as you keep adding fresh water and keep the mg up, and the kalk is in the fresh water, your levels should stay steady.

For this reason, I put in twice the kalk I need into the ro/di, and as I add more fresh water, the residue will dissolve and keep it going and up to level. ONLY 2 tsp a gallon CAN dissolve, on one stirring, so mix it well once, and let it alone. You DO need to lid the reservoir to avoid a skin forming.

WhiteTang
01/12/2016, 02:03 PM
Yep. ONce established, test nitrate (on general principles) and magnesium weekly. Mg depletion will cause alk and cal to fall. As long as you keep adding fresh water and keep the mg up, and the kalk is in the fresh water, your levels should stay steady.

For this reason, I put in twice the kalk I need into the ro/di, and as I add more fresh water, the residue will dissolve and keep it going and up to level. ONLY 2 tsp a gallon CAN dissolve, on one stirring, so mix it well once, and let it alone. You DO need to lid the reservoir to avoid a skin forming.

Thank you for the fast response Sk8r!

I do have a lid on my RO/DI reservoir so that will not be a problem. My Mg is usually very stable but I will monitor it closely as soon as I start with Kalk. Do you have more precise measurements? I live in Europe where we use the metric system. So an analogy of grams (Kalk) / Litre (Ro/Di) would be more than welcome.

bertoni
01/12/2016, 09:24 PM
You might need to tune the strength of the Kalk solution, and some tanks consume more calcium and alkalinity than Kalkwasser can deliver. It's a very dilute supplement.

bertoni
01/13/2016, 08:11 PM
Oops, meant to post more. 2 tsp is about 10 ml. More Kalk will dissolve if some vinegar is added to the mix, but I'd try plain Kalk first.

samscoma
01/14/2016, 01:46 AM
The Reef Threads podcast #180 is a great interview with Craig Bingman where he goes over different ways of dosing Ca/Alk including using kalk in your ATO:
http://www.reefthreads.com/?p=2570