PDA

View Full Version : Clown Gobies

jenjen
01/12/2016, 07:44 PM
I have an established 180 gal which is stocked how I want it for larger fish. I'm looking to add little fish and inverts to fill in the system. I added 2 small green clown gobies last week and I love them! But as expected I don't see either of them too often.

Am I able to add more clown gobies to this size system (only other goby is ywg)? If yes, am I better to go with more greens or should I choose a different colour?

Thanks!

ThRoewer
01/12/2016, 08:20 PM
Do you have any acropora or similar corals in your tank? These guys normaly hide in them. Only downside is that they will start laying eggs and that usually will harm the coral.

In a large tank multiple species should work.

PeterHall
01/12/2016, 08:24 PM
Add some neon cleaner gobies. Either the gold or blue. I have one in my 150 who likes to hang out on the back wall and during feeding time will bounce from fish to fish to get food.

jenjen
01/12/2016, 08:28 PM
Do you have any acropora or similar corals in your tank? These guys normaly hide in them. Only downside is that they will start laying eggs and that usually will harm the coral.

In a large tank multiple species should work.
No acropora.. it's mainly a softie tank and the guys I just added seem fixated with a cabbage coral so far.

Appreciate the input that I may be able to add more - thanks!

jenjen
01/12/2016, 08:36 PM
Add some neon cleaner gobies. Either the gold or blue. I have one in my 150 who likes to hang out on the back wall and during feeding time will bounce from fish to fish to get food.
Just looking these guys up. It says peaceful.. most of my guys are semi agressive (damsels, tangs, dwarf angel). What is yours with? They look neat but I'm pretty committed to not adding anyone who can't reasonably hold their own.

PeterHall
01/12/2016, 08:56 PM
I have a breeding pair of perculas, yellow tang, and tomini tang who are my more aggressive fish though they are all well mannered. And a Swallowtail Angelfish
and melanarus wrasse.

I did add two neon gobys and a year I only have one. My goby is more active and seen more than my mandarin.

ThRoewer
01/12/2016, 09:15 PM
Neon gobies are cleaner fish, somewhat the Atlantic equivalent to the cleaner wrasses of the Indo Pacific. As such they are rather out in the open to advertise their services. But unlike the wrasses they are not dependent on cleaning other fish and get by just fine on regular food or what else they find in the tank.
Pacific fish may not know them, but the cleaner markings (blue stripes) are kind of universal.

You can keep them in pairs (just add two) or in a larger group.

ginpang
01/13/2016, 12:20 PM
Should be fine... I used to have a spawning pair of each citrinus , okinawae and ceramensis , plus two histrios ( who never got along in 6 years ... ) In a 66 gallon.