PDA

View Full Version : Clownfish help.....please

crankbait09
01/12/2016, 08:53 PM
I posted this in the wrong section of the forum, but it should go here........

I have two percula clowns, I have had them for about two months now.....or thereabouts.

One clown will hang around the front of the tank. Usually stays right of center and doesn't stray to the left side of the tank, nor the center.

Now the other clown, he's different. I have two overflows, and this one hangs out around the top of the overflow, kinda sorta scales the overflow at the top, and hangs out in the corner where the over flow meets the back wall of the tank. Stays there 24/7. When I feed them, they both come out to eat, then go back to their normal positions. They are both eating fine.

When these two were in QT, they were best of buds, always hanging out.......They did the same once in the DT, for a bout 2 weeks. After the two weeks, they broke up and now I can't get the one in the corner out of the corner. I was able to chase him out of there, and he goes down with the other.....all is well then. Then eventually he goes right back up.

Any ideas what this means of why he would be hanging out there? Should I be concerned?

you know, I was watching the clown for about 10 minutes and noticed something. Although the behavior is the same and the eating habits are the same...I notice the gills on both sides is slightly opened. When you look at him from the front/back, it looks like it's wearing a helmet . I dont see it opening and closing. Iv'e always noticed this since I stuck them in the DT, but didn't think much of it.

Does this raise any type of red flag, or am I being paranoid?
I never see him/her go to the top for air, so I'm assuming it's breathing fine........

Here is a quick 24 second video. Hopefully it doesn't skip for you and it's easy to see. Please ignore the barking dog in the background...that is NOT the fish communicating
If you look closely you see brief glimpses of the flared gill.

http://vid804.photobucket.com/albums...psqjzodbgm.mp4

I am trying to post more pictures/videos, but I can't get him/her/it to sit still for a few seconds. It moves all over the place, up and down the overflow.

p.s. I did a 10 minute fresh water dip and found nothing on the bottom of the container to raise the flukes flag

Fishmaster13
01/12/2016, 08:59 PM
I can't load the video but if the gills are flared somethings probably up. It could be a lot of things. Have you tested the water yet? High ammonia or other problems could be causing this, though if the other fish are fine it doesn't seem that likely since clowns are super hardy. What other fish are in the tank? It's possible an aggressor is bullying them and stressing them out. How new is the tank itself? It could be a warning for a crash or just one of those aweful recycles that happen a lot in new tanks. I hope the problem if fixed soon and good luck!

crankbait09
01/12/2016, 09:03 PM
I have two percula clown in the tank and no more. It has been running with the two clowns since December 20th. Brand new tank to say the least. the other clown is fine as well. both eating with no problems.

My parameters are the following:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
ph: 8.1ish
nitrates: 20-30ppm
salinity: 1.025
temperature: 80

Fishmaster13
01/12/2016, 09:13 PM
Hmm. Well it's not an aggressive fish and the parameters are good. It's probably just the tank cycling. Under a month old is very young, so it could just be like the tank going through its phases. Did you cycle with live sand or live rock and/or add bacteria like stability? If it's the tank going through phases, not much you can do but water changes that don't disrupt the gravel, preferably with RO/DI water

crankbait09
01/12/2016, 10:06 PM
I actually cycled with dry rock and dry sand, while using a small amount of live rock and a raw shrimp. Using rodi 100% of the time