PDA

View Full Version : Kalkwasser dosing

dodgy67
01/13/2016, 05:24 AM
Last night I left my Milwaulkee controller reading at 8.2 to raise to 8.4, had a gallon of Kalkwasser made up when I checked this morning the whole gallon had been dosed but the ph was still at 8.2, should I continue dosing or wait a few days. Tank is about 130ltrs, 100ltrs with live rock and 20ltr sump, can anybody offer any advice.

Thanks in advance

bertoni
01/13/2016, 07:07 PM
I would ignore the pH at this point. 8.2 is very good for a tank in a house, and the instability in SG that Kalk dosing like that will cause likely is far more harmful than any potential rise in pH. Many tanks of the Month have run at 7.8.

Kalk dosing increase the pH by consuming carbon dioxide in the water column. As you can see, aeration will bring the tank back into equilibrium with the air fairly quickly.

downbeach
01/14/2016, 03:23 AM
You also want to remember the diural change in your pH being lower in the AM and higher in the PM. So, if you tested the pH in the evening @ 8.2, and it was still reading 8.2 in the morning after dosing, adding the kalk had an affect, since it could have been down by as much as .5 pHunits. Here (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-05/rhf/index.php#6) is an aticle explaining it.