PDA

View Full Version : Help me put CA reactor together ....:)

BlackTip
01/13/2016, 09:53 AM
I am tired of dosing so much supplements. I was planning on a CA reactor from the beginning, but I thought I wouldn't need it in the first 2 years. So, here I am...:)

Here are what I am considering, please feel free to advice, suggest something else, or endorse my selection.

Geo CR618 with Eheim 1048:
Will this be big enough for a mixed reef tank with total water volume of 340G? The next size up won't fit in the cabinet.

Aquarium Plants Co2 Regulater (without the digital screen):
Is this good enough, or do I need the LCD model? I don't want to waste money.

10 lbs CO2 Cylinder:
How long this cylinder should last?

Apex PH probe:
I should be able to control the reactor through my Apex, right?

Feeding pump?:
I read that masterflex are the best. New ones are too expensive for me. Can someone guide me on what to look for in a used one from ebay? I looked, and there are so many offerings. I don't know what I am looking at, so I am afraid of buying the wrong one.

Finally: What other accessories do I need or need to keep in hand?

Thanks,

slief
01/13/2016, 10:29 AM
I am tired of dosing so much supplements. I was planning on a CA reactor from the beginning, but I thought I wouldn't need it in the first 2 years. So, here I am...:)

Here are what I am considering, please feel free to advice, suggest something else, or endorse my selection.

Geo CR618 with Eheim 1048:
Will this be big enough for a mixed reef tank with total water volume of 340G? The next size up won't fit in the cabinet.

Aquarium Plants Co2 Regulater (without the digital screen):
Is this good enough, or do I need the LCD model? I don't want to waste money.

10 lbs CO2 Cylinder:
How long this cylinder should last?

Apex PH probe:
I should be able to control the reactor through my Apex, right?

Feeding pump?:
I read that masterflex are the best. New ones are too expensive for me. Can someone guide me on what to look for in a used one from ebay? I looked, and there are so many offerings. I don't know what I am looking at, so I am afraid of buying the wrong one.

Finally: What other accessories do I need or need to keep in hand?

Thanks,

You are correct. There are a number of different models. The likes of which I can't keep track of. I use a Masterflex pump and the carbon doser myself and they make the calcium reactor a set and it forget it device. I haven't had to touch mine in over 7 months. Not even an adjustment. The pH in the reactor never changes more than the display's pH drifts from night to day. The Ca, Alk and Mg in my tank are always spot on and adjusting the levels via the reactor is as simple as adjusting the flow on the masterflex or adjusting the Co2 rate.

That said, the things you want to look for:
Ideally digital control via the push of a button. This allows for better control over the knob that just changes the RPM. The digital control ones also allow much smaller RPM increments and are much more intuitive.

Brushless if quiet operation is important to you. Brushless motors are practically silent. The brushed motor are noisier. The brushed motors also require the occasional brush replacement. The brushes run about $20-$25 and are easy to replace but they do tend to make a squeaky noise over and above the motor noise. The brushless motors require no maintenance.

You want a pump with the Easy Load head. One that ideally supports LS17 tubing. They come in Easy Load, Easy Load II and Easy Load III. Any of the Easy Load heads will work. Some have stainless rollers which would be listed in the specs at the Cole Parmer website if you search by head model number. The supported tubing will also be listed at the Cole Parmer website under the same specs. Like I said, a head that supports LS17 tubing is really what you want. The Quick Load heads are junk for this application so avoid those heads.

Min 1-100 RPM or 6-600. The ones that go up to 600RPM is are best because they are gear driven and the rpm that the motor spits at will be less with a gear driven one. I for example run at 25ml a minute. That equates to about 17 RPM at the head with my Easy Load head and LS17 tubing. My motor is gear driven so that works out to less than 3 RPM on the motor itself. With a non gear driven motor, that would be 17 RPM at the motor. For continuous duty, the lower motor speed results in less wear and tear.

I would suggest spending some time reading through the Masterflex thread. If you can search it for terms like "brushless" and or "Model" or just thumb through the pages and look for different models that are listed in there. tkeracer has listed a breakdown of various models that are good but there are many beyond just those so I would sugest using the above info as a basic guide.

Lastly, if you keep an eye on eBay and even craigslist, you would be surprised what you might find in the way of deals if you are patient.

Here is the masterflex thread.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2368618&highlight=masterflex

The 618 should be fine for your size tank. I use a Geo 818 on my 650g volume system.

A 10 pound cylinder should last a few months depending on the bubble rate. At a water flow rate of 25ml/min I run a bubble rate of 1 bubble ever 4 seconds to maintain a pH of 6.7 in the reactor. My 20 pound Co2 is has been in use for over 7 months since it was filled and still has plenty of Co2.

You absolutely can control the setup via the Apex, I have a PM1 module and pH probe dedicated to my Ca Reactor for Apex control. That said, between the Masterflex pump and the carbon doser regulator, my Apex never has to intervene. Instead it just acts as a fail safe because the pH in the reactor is so consistent and never really varies anymore than the display tank water does as mentioned above. The combination of consistent flow and consistent Co2 rate keep the reactor pH consistent.

BlackTip
01/13/2016, 10:48 AM
@Slief
Thank you very much for your help. This info is as good as gold. You have been always very helpful to me and to others. It is much appreciated.

slief
01/13/2016, 11:24 AM
@Slief
Thank you very much for your help. This info is as good as gold. You have been always very helpful to me and to others. It is much appreciated.

Glad to help. If you have ever run a calcium reactor before, once you go to this setup, you will be amazed at how set it and forget it and maintenance free a calcium reactor can be. No more effluent line clogs, no more inconsistency, no controller shutting the solenoid on and off all the time. Finite control over reactor pH and tank parameters with the push of a button or the turn of a knob and amazing longevity from the Co2 tank. I couldn't be happier with my setup and I am sure you will feel the same. My tank and corals are infinitely happier too.