PDA

View Full Version : 90 Gallon Reef

fernalfer
01/15/2016, 11:41 AM
Question, i was planning on building a new reef tank but came across one for sale fully established with corals. It is 90 gallons. 80lbs. of live rock, 60lbs. live sand, fluval canister filter but is including a bioball sump not currently hooked up, protein skimmer, 2T5 lights 1 blue, 1 colormax and 2 24-36" LED lights with programmer and lighting effects. The fish and tons of corals including big carpet aneome, 3 rose bubble anenome, bunch of corals and frags, hammers, polyps, zoas and others.

$600.00 for all. I feel this to be a great deal seeing this was the size tank i wanted to do starting from scratch.

BUT and the big BUT is how to get it from their house to mine. Can you even transport corals and anenomes without killing them? I would not even know where to start.

Do you pros believe this to be a good deal and worth giving it a try?

scooter31707
01/15/2016, 12:17 PM
That is a awesome deal. My next question is have you seen it with your own personal eyes or just a picture? If everything is good, then yes I would buy it for that price. For as moving/transporting it I don't have any experience with that as I have been fortune enough to be stay in 1 spot.

fernalfer
01/15/2016, 12:40 PM
I have only seen it from pictures. It looks very nice from the pictures. I also have a Trigger systems sump i had bought because i was slowly buying things for a new build. Right now they have a canister filter on the tank. The other issue is how to switch over to the sump. Plumbing will need to be done but believe i need the tank aswell to figure out all the measurements. Fish and corals will not survive the length of time needed to get this done properly. I believe this to be a great deal but find it stressful already and have not even purchased it yet.

scooter31707
01/15/2016, 01:03 PM
Well if you have a local fish store, call them and see if they can give you store credit for all the livestock. With it having a canister filter, that's telling me the tank is probably not drilled, meaning you will have to purchase a overflow box to go on the back of the tank and you can buy the flexible hose also.

Sapelo
01/15/2016, 02:17 PM
$600 may or may not be a good deal.
Scooter is right, first question is: is the tank drilled? A drilled tank is how you get water from the DT into the sump
If it's not drilled then you have another set of problems.
As things stand, sure you can more corals, fish and nems, happens all of the time. BUT. But it's going to be work and take more equipment.
If I were considering it, I'd plan to have extra quarantine tanks set up so that you have a place to safely house the livestock while you get the 90 up and cycled.
I would ditch the sand in the tank and replace it. Old sand tends to be dirty and you dont want that; replacing sand is way easier than cleaning up old sand and the mess it brings.
I wouldn't want anything to do with bioballs so I would toss those.
Depending on the skimmer, I'd plan to replace it as I'm guessing it's probably not up to the job.
Bottom line is that it's going to cost you more money than just the $600 to get the tank back up and running. You need time and patience to make a successful move. Before you decide it's a great deal, make a realistic plan and decide if you want to handle the immediate challenges that will come with transitioning a running tank.
Ask questions now, better to know ahead of time than to have a tank moved, live rock everywhere and suddenly have a lot of problems.
Good luck!

kyle.nagel13
01/15/2016, 02:41 PM
My main issue would be, is it going to be your tank? Does it have the corals and fish that you want? I'm just setting up my first marine tank, and half the fun is making it exclusively mine. I'm not copying rock work, coral collection, or stocking list from anyone. It will be all mine, for better or worse.

Marchillo
01/15/2016, 03:56 PM
You will need a qt setup when you want to buy more fish so you may want to pickup the qt equipment now. I believe PETCO is having their sale though it may be over.

Get two 20G Longs for $20 each that you will need anyways, heaters, and a couple of powerheads to move water. Get those setup and plan the big move. You can move the livestock into those tanks to buy some time to get the tank moved and setup. Id still do it quickly. Id start fresh with the sand if it were me. If not you could be opening a can of worms with all the junk that's been building up in there.

Id still plan to get it done quickly but this is so they have a temporary spot while you get everything setup. 80 pounds of rock with fill up a 20g long on its own so you can put that in buckets and keep it wet. Id still try to get the whole thing up and running in 8 hours or so.