PDA

View Full Version : Puffers and Clams - can they be trained to stay away?

jimxms
01/16/2016, 06:26 AM
I have a blue spotted puffer and recently purchased a $300 maxima clam without thinking of the potential consequences :rolleye1:

After a few days the puffer started nipping at the clam, so unfortunately I had to move him to the sump with the intention of taking him back to the LFS.

It would seem however that the puffer is desperate to get back into my good graces and has started performing 'tricks' for me (squirting water at me, jumping up out of the water to take food), so now the decision to get rid of him has become much harder.

Has anyone had any success training puffers to stay away from clams or other corals?

Dkuhlmann
01/16/2016, 06:29 AM
Sorry but one or the other will have to go. IMO

jimxms
01/16/2016, 06:45 AM
Sorry but one or the other will have to go. IMO

:( Do puffers also eat zoas? I've noticed a steady decline in my smaller zoa varieties since getting my puffer.

Dkuhlmann
01/16/2016, 07:16 AM
Sure they could eat pretty much anything they wish in your tank. They will also eat your CUC. Most puffers need to eat hard foods to keep their "teeth" ground down as they will continue to grow. Just depends on how badly you want the puffer. Do some research on here and Google and see what you can find on the one you have. This will probably help you to decide what you want to do. I do suggest that in the future you do the same for fish you intend to get. There are a lot of fish we might "think" will work with others we have and it sometimes winds up being a bad idea.

Good luck in your decision