PDA

View Full Version : Dry Rock

gear*guru
01/16/2016, 07:19 AM
Finally broke down and ordered some Pukani dry rock (45lbs). On the way to getting my large tank going.

Richard was very easy to work with. Hope to order more soon.

Any advice?

liverock
01/16/2016, 09:06 AM
Soak it in bleach water in a container for a few days....rinse well....then in the sun for a few days..then in freshwater for a couple of days......and should be good to go...

I have not had anybody report any phosphate issues from the pukani I have sent them as I have kept it in the crates and let it get rained on since i got it in May.

I believe if folks do have phosphate levels it is from the left over organics that are in pukani that slowly dissolve after being added to your tank.

I think the bleach water bath...and being constantly rained on for a year has taken much of what was leftover organics out of the pukani.

The pukani I put in the gulf on the aquaculture site shows no phosphates when tested, as mother ocean does the cleaning for you....from what I have seen in the last year of having and working with pukani.

Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com :bounce3:

gear*guru
01/17/2016, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the info. It's winter in Michigan, there is no sun, but I'll figure something out. Delivery expected on Wednesday. I'll post some pics.

With Pukani, is it still recommended for 2lbs per gallon?

liverock
01/17/2016, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the info. It's winter in Michigan, there is no sun, but I'll figure something out. Delivery expected on Wednesday. I'll post some pics.

With Pukani, is it still recommended for 2lbs per gallon?

Pukani is about 1/2 the weight of all other rocks....so takes about 1/2 the amount....most of the time.....

gear*guru
01/19/2016, 07:17 PM
Pukani arrived today. It is awesome!

I'll take some pictures before and after bleach bath.

liverock
01/19/2016, 08:32 PM
Pukani arrived today. It is awesome!

I'll take some pictures before and after bleach bath.

How did fed ex do?

gear*guru
01/20/2016, 03:53 AM
FedEx did a great job. Called me first thing in the morning to verify if there was any livestock in the shipment. They did not want to leave it at my door if there was since I was the first delivery of the day.

Beats previous shipment I got from elsewhere by UPS where everything died! :sad2:

gear*guru
01/20/2016, 05:33 PM
Trying to upload pictures of rock before bleach bath, of course having issues!