PDA

View Full Version : Tank canopies

Ytsejam02
01/16/2016, 08:06 AM
Is there a rule of thumb on these? Use them, don't use them? Isn't there some sort of gas exchange that needs to occur? I currently have two aqueon versa tops on my tank, which aren't going anywhere anytime soon since I have three children under 6 in the house, and don't want Lego duplos floating in my tank...

So, should I be concerned? What are the technical aspects of having open air and no canopy?

I could always remove the back plastic portion of my lids to get more air to the surface water...

Thx in advance!

RayAllen3422
01/16/2016, 08:19 AM
I have never used one. I have small children too but I used a DIY screen that you can build. They sell kits at BRS. The clear screen also lets through the majority of the light and acts as a way to keep any jumpers in the tank.

Shawn O
01/16/2016, 08:19 AM
I believe most people with canopies have some sort of opening in the canopy, either on top or in the back. If you're running a good skimmer, this would add an amount of oxygen to the water, as well.

Ytsejam02
01/16/2016, 09:03 AM
Not currently running a skimmer. I have long term plans to do so. Current plan is a FOWLR for the first year, make sure everything is stable. Then look into hardware upgrades.

Thx for the info! I'll look into the screens. I'm using an orbit led which is supposed to be water proof, so that shouldn't be a problem. For the time being, I think I'll remove that plastic portion of the lids.

A.Astore
01/16/2016, 06:56 PM
Do you have a sump? A sump would help a little. I had a 55g FOWLR before that had a closed lid and I didn't have any major issues but I also had a sump to help. My current system has a full wooden canopy that has an opening in the top as well as the sump area. A screen would probably be beneficial for you as long as you can still safely attach your lighting. I have children as well so I completely understand your thoughts here... odd that we worry more about what will go in rather than what will come out as parents.