PDA

View Full Version : Dino worse in blackout

DsantaMaria
01/16/2016, 08:42 AM
Anyone ever seen a Dino problem actually get worse during a blackout. I'm on 36 of a 72 hour blackout of what I believe is Dino and looking on the rocks it only seems to be getting worse?. Running GFO Carbon, skimming and lights out as well as peroxide dosing. Only other thing I can think of is die of of other algae is feeding the Dino?

Any input?

nathan1986
01/17/2016, 01:26 PM
I havent seen that. But most experienced people on here will tell you to take a sample to get it properly identified. So many different types of algae out there with most looking similar to others. Now for me i had what i identified myself (not positive if it was dino or not, but sure looked exactly like it) here is what i did to rid my entire tank, and by entire i mean all 150 pounds live rock and sand bed were engulfed in dino and it was so slimy and stringy it stuck to my fish as they swam. First thing i did was stopped changing the water, water changes only helped the growth. But what i did do is syphon out as much as i could on a daily basis while holding a brine shrimp net at the other end of the hose to catch the dinos them returned the water back into the tank. Next thing i did was lights out. Not for 2 days or 5 days but roughly 20 days. And by lights out i mean no tank lights, gave the gf strict instructions not to open and blinds and i even taped towels to the tank to eliminate the smallest possibility of light entering the tank. Now doing all that completely cleared my tank of dino and hasnt returned (dino free for about a year now) afyer the 20 day lights out i slowly added light to the tank. 1 hour of light a day a week. Increasing an hour each week. I wasnt concerned about corals because at the time it was a fish only tank. I wish you luck my friend, dinos is some nasty stuff