PDA

View Full Version : How to properly sanitize a QT

Brieninsac
01/16/2016, 10:50 AM
I have a QT that recently housed a fish with parasites. That fish has since died so I want to break it down and do a thorough cleaning.

The tank is 10 gal and I'd like to know how much bleach I should use. I also have some biomedia in there and would like to know how to treat those too.

I won't be quarantining any new fish for at least 2 months due to an upcoming vacation.

gone fishin
01/16/2016, 11:42 AM
I will usually empty out the tank and then spray down the tank with 2 parts bleach to 2 parts water. Give it a rinse and then let it sit dry for at least 3 days.

What biomedia are you referring to?

Brieninsac
01/16/2016, 12:21 PM
I have a Marinepure block and Fluval biomax ceramic filter rings.

gone fishin
01/16/2016, 12:23 PM
I have a Marinepure block and Fluval biomax ceramic filter rings.

I have not used that in my QT. So as a guess I would do the same with the rings and maybe just rinse of the block with freshwater and let it dry thoroughly. Good luck

leviburns89
01/16/2016, 12:36 PM
I am pretty sure I've read that people can bake the blocks and ceramic in the oven to "cook" them clean.

Don't quote me tho, maybe someone with experience can elaborate on this

A.Astore
01/16/2016, 06:51 PM
Definitely read to bake NOT boil the biomedia. I also would not put them in bleach because of how porous they are. I would be nervous even after 2 months that all the bleach was not completely dry.

Found the thread, they say 400 degrees for at least 30 minutes:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-2490419.html

ca1ore
01/16/2016, 11:26 PM
Personally I've never bothered to use bleach. Cleaning and fully drying out my QT tanks and equipment seems quite effective at preventing any subsequent contamination. I also don't bother to reuse biomedia. It just goes into the trash once a particular QT is concluded.

OrQidz
01/17/2016, 01:16 AM
Yeah I wouldn't keep the biomedia, why risk it? If they tank is going to thoroughly dry out for 2 months I think a quick wipe down with bleach/water and a rinse is really all you need.

Sorry about losing the fish - glad you had it in QT though.

Dundermifflin
01/17/2016, 01:17 AM
First-To disinfect just clean it out and let everything dry for at least 72 hours. Never had issues doing it this way after dealing with disease/parasites in QT. No need for bleach. Second-simplify your QT. For a 10g all you need is a sponge filter and at most, no more than an HOB filter (like the AquaClear). This with a small pvc for hiding should complete your QT. you can quick cycle the QT using Dr. Tim's one and only. I've had great success running QT setups this way.