PDA

View Full Version : Question about maxima's

jdewolftx
01/16/2016, 01:04 PM
I picked up a beautiful 4" maxima about 2 months ago. It has been doing great since day 1. I have it located on the sand bed in a low / medium flow area. I read that maxima's like to live attached to the rock.

Do I need to move it eventually? So long as he looks happy, I have resisting messing with him. What issues might I encounter if I leave him where he is?

-Jeff

jdewolftx
01/16/2016, 07:31 PM
Sorry. I should have looked before posting. I see from other posts that I should put it on a small piece of rock and then can move it if needed.

I have a 24 inch deep aquarium with 2 eco tech xr30 gen 3 LED light fixtures. During the peak times I have it set to 60% intensity. Should I slowly move it up higher in the tank?

-Jeff

laga77
01/17/2016, 12:24 PM
If the clam has full extension on the mantles and the color is deep with no white spots , then you should be able to place it wherever.

JRR1285
01/18/2016, 09:56 AM
You can move it up higher if you like but it may move on its own if it does not like the spot you pick. If it is extended well and not attempting to move it must be happy with the spot you have it in.

Be careful if you do decide to move it, the clam may have attached to the bottom glass of the aquarium.

Does it have a bright white area directly below the mantle on the shell? If it does it's a good indicator that it is healthy as long as you see evidence of new shell being produced.

jdewolftx
01/18/2016, 10:00 PM
I checked the mantle and it looks like the shell is growing. It is not trying to move. I do supplement with DT's plankton. I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the help.

-Jeff

laga77
01/20/2016, 12:30 PM
No need to supplement.

csb123
02/14/2016, 06:45 PM
Good luck!