PDA

View Full Version : 180g stocking list help.

hotelbravo
01/18/2016, 11:15 AM
Upgrading to a 180g in a few weeks and am trying to get my stocking list together.
i currently have in my 90g:
2 clowns with 2 giant BTAs
1 fairy wrasse
1 flame angel
1 bicolor dottyback
1 ruby red dragonet
1 yellow clown goby
1 one spot fox face
1 snowflake eel

i plan to move all over to the 180g except the foxface
what im trying to add to the stock list is
1 powder blue tang
1 yellow tang
1 coral beauty
2-3 anthias
1 heniochus bannerfish (maybe still undeciced)

im needing feedback on whether this will work or if there are hiccups expected. thanks in advance

ilikefish34
01/18/2016, 03:02 PM
What's the size of your snowflake eel? I've heard that they don't eat fish but I remember one coming in on a shipment (when I worked at a LFS) and it regurgitated a Mandarin and a Damsel or two in the bag.

Are the clowns the same as your avatar?

What kind of Fairy Wrasse? many are quite peaceful and some get a bit chippy.

What kind of Anthias? Just to determine if it's a sensitive species or not. And the more delicate/passive ones may even get picked on by the Bicolor Dottyback or run around by the Fairy Wrasse. There are plenty of combinations of different kinds of Anthias and Fairy Wrasses that get along just fine.

I'm not sure of the dimensions of your 180--some will say that an 8' tank is needed for the Powder Blue but I think it'll be ok if it's at least 6' long and is the LAST fish added.

I don't have any experience keeping any Bannerfish so I'll defer on that one to others.

I don't see any problems with the Coral Beauty (provided you have a good amount of rock work and it may need an acclimation box to introduce it to the Flame), Yellow Tang and the PBT.

Good Luck
Mike

hotelbravo
01/18/2016, 05:52 PM
What's the size of your snowflake eel? I've heard that they don't eat fish but I remember one coming in on a shipment (when I worked at a LFS) and it regurgitated a Mandarin and a Damsel or two in the bag. the snowflake is about a foot long and is very peaceful he shared his cave with my firefish who just died from attempting to jump out of the tank and getting stuck in the screen top. the eel even lets my cleaner shrimp clean its gills

Are the clowns the same as your avatar? the female clown is the one in my avatar the male clown is a percula much smaller

What kind of Fairy Wrasse? many are quite peaceful and some get a bit chippy. it was sold to me as a purple line fairy wrasse and is very peaceful

What kind of Anthias? Just to determine if it's a sensitive species or not. And the more delicate/passive ones may even get picked on by the Bicolor Dottyback or run around by the Fairy Wrasse. There are plenty of combinations of different kinds of Anthias and Fairy Wrasses that get along just fine.i was thinking either lyretail or bartletts but unsure atm

I'm not sure of the dimensions of your 180--some will say that an 8' tank is needed for the Powder Blue but I think it'll be ok if it's at least 6' long and is the LAST fish added.i cant fit an 8 foot tank so it would be a 6ft

I don't have any experience keeping any Bannerfish so I'll defer on that one to others.

I don't see any problems with the Coral Beauty (provided you have a good amount of rock work and it may need an acclimation box to introduce it to the Flame), Yellow Tang and the PBT. i currently have way to much rock in my 90 gallon, im at about 150lbs i hope that would be okay for a while for the 180g since i wont have money for the extra 30+lbs right after the build.

Good LuckTYVM
Mike

droth335
01/18/2016, 06:11 PM
I think you will be fine. I also agree to add the PBT last - ours is a butt head and had to trap him and relocate to the sump for a couple of weeks when we added our purple tang (was fine after being reintroduced 3 weeks later).

scooter31707
01/19/2016, 10:27 AM
You might be ok, but it will be a hit or miss with the PB in a 180 with them other fish. He might feel a little crowded. Some other options could be one of the Mimic Tangs.

hotelbravo
01/21/2016, 05:10 PM
I would like some feedback on the bannerfish I have decided if possible I want to do 2-3 of those and maybe remove my fairy wrasse also and replace with a leopard wrasse so information on them will be helpful aswell thank you in advance.

Goat33
01/22/2016, 03:09 AM
Banner fish grow big real fast. I would skip it

ilikefish34
01/22/2016, 01:58 PM
I would like some feedback on the bannerfish I have decided if possible I want to do 2-3 of those and maybe remove my fairy wrasse also and replace with a leopard wrasse so information on them will be helpful aswell thank you in advance.

For the Leopard Wrasse, I'd refer to it's primer--about a 140 pages of varying experiences.

To give you a start, you want a fine sand bed of 2-3" (plenty have done it with less and more), prepare to feed multiple times per day (3-6 and auto-feeders are helpful once they're eating pellets) and most of the success stories involve either no QT or a QT that is a smaller version of the DT (live rock) and are treated with Prazi-pro. As a whole, the genus seems sensitive to alk and pH fluctuations and are best kept in well established reefs (or FOWLR). But definitely check out the primer.

Only fish I could see picking on it would be the Dottyback if you purchase a small one but you should have a large enough tank with enough rock to keep both.

Good Luck
Mike

hotelbravo
01/22/2016, 10:37 PM
well ive decided to stay away from the leopard wrasses and I will be trading in the dottyback I saw him beating up my foxface of all fish... I know im getting rid of the foxface to but if he is willing to fight a foxface he is probably willing to fight off any new fish coming into his area.

so what are some other options for colorful fish then? how many dwarf angels can I keep in a 180g? and will 2 tangs be about the limit??

CoralsAddiction
01/22/2016, 10:59 PM
you could probably get away with three tangs. If this was my tank I'd do a mix of zebrasoma, Acanthurus and bristle tooth tangs. There are many wrasses that can could work very well also.

hotelbravo
01/24/2016, 11:55 AM
So does anyone have input on how many angels I can have in a 180

Daniel62
01/24/2016, 03:56 PM
You could probably do 3 dwarf angels in this size tank. Start with the shyest one first. Or you could try a trio of say flame angels.

hotelbravo
01/24/2016, 07:44 PM
Well Ideally I want to introduce all angels at the same time and then all tangs at the same time a few weeks after the angels