PDA

View Full Version : MRC Skimmer is not working at all

newsalt
01/18/2016, 11:25 AM
My dual beckett MRC skimmer is not working at all. The skimmer is external to the sump. The flow from the pump supplying the skimmer is providing good flow. If you place your finger on the air inlet, you can feel no suction at all. I have no idea what the problem could be. Any ideas?

Thanks.

slief
01/18/2016, 11:59 AM
My dual beckett MRC skimmer is not working at all. The skimmer is external to the sump. The flow from the pump supplying the skimmer is providing good flow. If you place your finger on the air inlet, you can feel no suction at all. I have no idea what the problem could be. Any ideas?

Thanks.

If I had to guess, the Beckett valve is clogged or siezed or the air inlet is clogged with salt creep. Remove the Beckett valve and soak it in vinegar and give it a thorough scrubbing and rinse. The Beckett valves should be cleaned weekly for best performance and at very least monthly. Also, check for salt creep where the airline connects to the Beckett body. If your air inlet is the one that has the air adjustment needle valve on it, you may need to take that needle valve apart and clean it because it could just be clogged with salt creep or dust.

newsalt
01/18/2016, 12:02 PM
If I had to guess, the Beckett valve is clogged or siezed. Remove the Beckett valve and soak it in vinegar. The Beckett valves should be cleaned weekly for best performance and at very least monthly. Also, check for salt creep where the airline connects to the Beckett body.

I've disassembled both beckett bodies and they are clean.

VWD
01/18/2016, 12:09 PM
Is the air source the same for both becketts ? Seem odd both are not producing any bubbles

slief
01/18/2016, 12:09 PM
I've disassembled both beckett bodies and they are clean.

I assume that when you disassembled both Beckett bodies you checked the valves by hand to make sure they were opening and closing properly and not stuck open? Then it's most likely the air intake being clogged either from salt creep or the needle valves assuming that your skimmer has the little adjustment valve. If your air inlets are the adjustable style ones with the needle valves, you may need to disassemble the valve. I would take the Beckett stacks apart and inspect/clean the air intakes and valves if you are running those.

When I ran a Beckett skimmer, I would run a cup of scalding hot water through the airline once a month. I'd just drop the airline into the cup and allow the skimmer to draw the water through. I did this to prevent clogging and salt creep. Not sure if you run an air filter on the air inlet but I ran a small air filter on my skimmers air intake and that filter had a cotton wad in it. From time to time, that cotton wad would need to be replaced as it would start clogging from dust.

slief
01/18/2016, 12:14 PM
I can pretty much guarantee that if the becketts are functioning properly, it's got to be the air valves or inlet at the Beckett body being clogged. You can remove the Beckett body and try sucking air through the airline. If you can't draw air easily, you know the source of your issue. If you can draw air easily than there is either something wrong with the Beckett valve or the pump is pushing enough pressure.

newsalt
01/18/2016, 12:19 PM
I can pretty much guarantee that if the becketts are functioning properly, it's got to be the air valves or inlet at the Beckett body being clogged. You can remove the Beckett body and try sucking air through the airline. If you can't draw air easily, you know the source of your issue. If you can draw air easily than there is either something wrong with the Beckett valve or the pump is pushing enough pressure.

This is the confusing part. I have the needle valves completely off of the Beckett body and there is no suction at all.

slief
01/18/2016, 12:28 PM
This is the confusing part. I have the needle valves completely off of the Beckett body and there is no suction at all.

Then it sounds like there is salt creep clogging the air inlet where it meets the Beckett body. Pull the Beckett body off the skimmer and try sucking through the end of the air line with the needle valve assembled. If you can't draw air, then you found your issue. If you can, then you need to start looking at your pressure from the pump or the Beckett valves.

What pump are you using with this skimmer?

newsalt
01/18/2016, 01:20 PM
Then it sounds like there is salt creep clogging the air inlet where it meets the Beckett body. Pull the Beckett body off the skimmer and try sucking through the end of the air line with the needle valve assembled. If you can't draw air, then you found your issue. If you can, then you need to start looking at your pressure from the pump or the Beckett valves.

What pump are you using with this skimmer?

I'm using a Reeflo Marlin pump.

mborn
01/18/2016, 01:42 PM
Look inside the top and bottom of the Beckett with a flashlight for small limpet shells clogging the water going through. When I ran a Beckett skimmer, I would regularly have to pull the Beckett and clean the small shells out by shoving a zip tie through the bottom while holding it under running water at the sink.