PDA

View Full Version : Replace my skimmer to a dc powered one?

jshiloh
01/19/2016, 02:08 PM
Hello all. Just have a quick question and wanted to see what you all thought. Currently I am running a aquamaxx em200 skimmer on my 65g with a 40g sump. It's skims great and it's super silent. But, I am really looking into the rlss skimmers, perferably the r6i I believe what it's called. I like how it's dc controlled and I just upgraded my return pump from a mag9.5 to the rlss dc10000gen2 and really love the control. My question is would it even be worth selling the em200 and going for it ? Would the rlss skim better in your opinion?
Thanks, Jesse

gcarroll
01/19/2016, 02:25 PM
The skimmers are approx the same size. The also will consume nearly the same wattage. I doubt you will see much difference if any. However, you may psychologically see a difference just to justify the purchase. If you want the RLSS, because you like their products, I say go for it! No need to justify it with us.

chilli_reef
01/19/2016, 07:15 PM
After using my DC skimmer .... I will never buy another skimmer with out a DC pump lol !

FullBoreReefer
01/19/2016, 08:08 PM
The only plus side I see to dc skimmers is being able to raise or lower the motor rpm for tank size differences. Meaning you could possibly buy a size larger, and run it at a lower speed and in case you upgrade tank you just turn it up. Where as a normal pump will run wide open continuous and it may over skim on a small system and be just right on a heavier bio load, but if you ever upgrade system volume, you'll have to upgrade skimmers as well.

headnic789
01/19/2016, 08:40 PM
The skimmers are approx the same size. The also will consume nearly the same wattage. I doubt you will see much difference if any. However, you may psychologically see a difference just to justify the purchase. If you want the RLSS, because you like their products, I say go for it! No need to justify it with us.

Psychological self justification. Now your talking my language. When I break things I decide afterward I didn't want it anyway.

SkullV
01/19/2016, 08:45 PM
After using my DC skimmer .... I will never buy another skimmer with out a DC pump lol !

Why?

FullBoreReefer
01/19/2016, 09:22 PM
Here is my major justification of why I changed everything to DC.

Current return pump: Mag 18 - 150watts -(and running 2 reactors and ATS off manifold)
Current skimmer pump: Psk-2500 - 33watts
Total Watts - 183

New return pump: dct-8000 - 68watts(max speed)
New dc skimmer: Skimz dc - 19watts(max speed)
Total Watts - 87

Since I am saving wattage and have adjustability I know I'll be turning down the new return pump so it won't even be running at max. That's why I have vortechs in the tank lol. So since I'm saving all that I decided to add a new pump into my system...

New reactor/ATS feed pump: dct-4000 - 30watt(max speed)(instead off running from return manifold)

So add that 30 watts to the previous 87, and that's 117watts. So now I have three dc pumps, better control with separate pumps, and better adjustability on those systems(return, skimmer, reactor/ATS), all while using 66watts less than my old setup.

Will I be watching cash fall off my electric bill? No, but the pros to everything out weighs the negatives IMO.

gcarroll
01/19/2016, 09:26 PM
The only plus side I see to dc skimmers is being able to raise or lower the motor rpm for tank size differences. Meaning you could possibly buy a size larger, and run it at a lower speed and in case you upgrade tank you just turn it up. Where as a normal pump will run wide open continuous and it may over skim on a small system and be just right on a heavier bio load, but if you ever upgrade system volume, you'll have to upgrade skimmers as well.

What gave you the idea that skimmers work in that way? For this to work the way you say... If you dial back the pump, for balanced skimming, you would need to also decrease the neck size.

FullBoreReefer
01/19/2016, 09:29 PM
What gave you the idea that skimmers work in that way? For this to work the way you say... If you dial back the pump, for balanced skimming, you would need to also decrease the neck size.

More water depth in the sump. Also tuning the air inlet will help.

I didn't say changes wouldn't have to be made, but it gives a wider spectrum of use if your sump can swing it.

chilli_reef
01/19/2016, 09:38 PM
Why?
The option for upgrade is always doable with the same skimmer so long as your not maxed out to begin with.
You can fine tune it super easy.
You can skim anywhere from super aggressively, to a slow dry skim.
And in case of a case of the sudden nasties that need to be removed with a quickness..... Boom...crack the pump up and let her rip. More air, more water volume, rapid skimming yet heavy skimming. So what ever carbon and floss won't get the skimmer will knock out.
You can adjust it to your bioload......

I am absolutely certain I sound like a little kid explaining o his parents why he has to have a certain toy right now....
I'm tired as all get out. Got back from a 650 mile two day delivery route thus evening and headed out on a 1200 mile route tomorrow..... Brain is mush lol !

gcarroll
01/19/2016, 09:57 PM
More water depth in the sump. Also tuning the air inlet will help.

I didn't say changes wouldn't have to be made, but it gives a wider spectrum of use if your sump can swing it.

That rationale throws skimmer design out the window. A properly designed skimmer will balance the body size, air and water input, and next size for peak performance.

gcarroll
01/19/2016, 10:01 PM
Here is my major justification of why I changed everything to DC.

Current return pump: Mag 18 - 150watts -(and running 2 reactors and ATS off manifold)
Current skimmer pump: Psk-2500 - 33watts
Total Watts - 183

New return pump: dct-8000 - 68watts(max speed)
New dc skimmer: Skimz dc - 19watts(max speed)
Total Watts - 87

Since I am saving wattage and have adjustability I know I'll be turning down the new return pump so it won't even be running at max. That's why I have vortechs in the tank lol. So since I'm saving all that I decided to add a new pump into my system...

New reactor/ATS feed pump: dct-4000 - 30watt(max speed)(instead off running from return manifold)

So add that 30 watts to the previous 87, and that's 117watts. So now I have three dc pumps, better control with separate pumps, and better adjustability on those systems(return, skimmer, reactor/ATS), all while using 66watts less than my old setup.

Will I be watching cash fall off my electric bill? No, but the pros to everything out weighs the negatives IMO.

Do you have a watt meter? Using one may reveal that sure Mag 18 is not pulling nearly what it is rated. AC pumps pull less wattage with head pressure than without. I know it sounds impossible but it is a fact.

FullBoreReefer
01/19/2016, 11:11 PM
Man your a Debbie Downer, chill out man. These are number from the manufacturers, settle down. Not everyone needs scientific experiments to get data.

Is everything always as claimed, no. But seriously take a chill pill on your Bill Nye approach.

Skimmer design, blah blah. Did I say it would work, absolutely. This is a stupid argument, obviously you know much more than others...

gcarroll
01/20/2016, 12:29 AM
Hold on cowboy! I'm trying to teach you and increase your knowledge base. If you refuse to take the information in that is your decision.

There are a lot of false statements that go on in these threads. I am trying to separate myth from reality. Ingrateful comments like this are why many of the leading reefers have left this site. I am determined to make you and others know the facts. So if you don't want advise from people who have a wealth of experience, you might consider just blindly making the purchase rather than asking on the forum.

Happy Reefing.

shifty51008
01/20/2016, 06:37 AM
The option for upgrade is always doable with the same skimmer so long as your not maxed out to begin with.
You can fine tune it super easy.
You can skim anywhere from super aggressively, to a slow dry skim.
And in case of a case of the sudden nasties that need to be removed with a quickness..... Boom...crack the pump up and let her rip. More air, more water volume, rapid skimming yet heavy skimming. So what ever carbon and floss won't get the skimmer will knock out.
You can adjust it to your bioload......

I am absolutely certain I sound like a little kid explaining o his parents why he has to have a certain toy right now....
I'm tired as all get out. Got back from a 650 mile two day delivery route thus evening and headed out on a 1200 mile route tomorrow..... Brain is mush lol !

Why cant you do that with a non dc skimmer? All you have to do is adjust the outlet, gatevalve or whatever they use to adjust them

ksed
01/20/2016, 08:47 AM
Well said Greg. Way to much nonsense on these threads.

Hold on cowboy! I'm trying to teach you and increase your knowledge base. If you refuse to take the information in that is your decision.

There are a lot of false statements that go on in these threads. I am trying to separate myth from reality. Ingrateful comments like this are why many of the leading reefers have left this site. I am determined to make you and others know the facts. So if you don't want advise from people who have a wealth of experience, you might consider just blindly making the purchase rather than asking on the forum.

Happy Reefing.

ksed
01/20/2016, 08:48 AM
+1

why cant you do that with a non dc skimmer? All you have to do is adjust the outlet, gatevalve or whatever they use to adjust them

SkullV
01/20/2016, 10:01 AM

Happy Reefing.

Always appreciate good unbiased info!

Why cant you do that with a non dc skimmer? All you have to do is adjust the outlet, gatevalve or whatever they use to adjust them

That's the same thing I was thinking. I can't imagine any DC skimmer (other than BK) performing better in my current system than my sicce powered AC skimmer. Any more flow and it would be too much, any less and it would be horribly inefficient.

gcarroll
01/20/2016, 12:21 PM
Thanks guys for the kind words. Although I admit that I am biased toward European reef products! :)

chilli_reef
01/20/2016, 08:17 PM

For me it just seems way, way easier to adjust with the DC pump.
And having the ability to pause the skimmer with out a reef controller, or unplugging it or mess with the adjustments only to have to fine tune it all over again after I turn it back on later is awesome. Another way would be a separate switched outlet I guess but its just simpler.

shifty51008
01/20/2016, 10:04 PM
For me it just seems way, way easier to adjust with the DC pump.
And having the ability to pause the skimmer with out a reef controller, or unplugging it or mess with the adjustments only to have to fine tune it all over again after I turn it back on later is awesome. Another way would be a separate switched outlet I guess but its just simpler.

But by adjusting the pump you have to adjust the air. where as the ac pumps are already matched for the skimmer body.

Thats the thing with dc powered skimmers and led lights, there are alot more things the user can adjust but many dont take the time to learn how to adjust them properly. Just my opinion.

chilli_reef
01/20/2016, 10:17 PM
Technically the pumps are matched for each type of skimmer lol !
But like you said above, and I said as well earlier, I like the ability to fine tune. Once you have learned how its way easier. Your not stuck at full throttle no matter what on the pump trying like a mad man to adjust air and water height. It makes it even easier to get that pearly looking micro bubble swirl going on in the skimmer body. You can fine tune water to air contact time muuuch better, and easier.
And like I said that pause button is the shizz ! Lol !

biecacka
01/21/2016, 09:38 PM
My thoughts.... DC pump for return is not a big deal as we never or almost never ramp up/down return pumps. Too much fluctuation in the sump. Some need more head pressure and so DC pump won't work. But they do serve a purpose.
DC pumps for skimmer are a different thing. As Greg and others mentioned, having the ability to change everything doesn't always mean it's for the best. I have a DC skimmer, a Bubble King and part of the reason I went with them is the ability to adjust the pump, in increments of 1. So power and speed of the pump changes by 1 and is displayed via a digital readout. However some of the others change in increments of 5. Huge variation there.... My current skimmer is set at 27. 25 isn't enough and 30 is too much. So having the ability to adjust is fine, if we have total control. Yeah some control is better than none, but being able to "fine tune" in increments of 5 is not really fine tuning much. I wonder how much of it is a sales gimmick. Many ppl have older skimmers that rock and don't need adjustments. I ran a becket previously with an iwaki 55RLT on it. NOT a DC pump but it pushed water and skimmed water good and many others do too.

Corey

Jade5051
01/22/2016, 01:55 AM
Why not just buy a DC skimmer pump off fish-street or something and mod the EM200 so you can put it in there?

Sell me your EM200 skimmer body?

scrapz
01/22/2016, 04:08 AM

Happy Reefing.

Keep it going Greg.

OT:
I just got back into the hobby and damn near died when I saw the bill, $300 for a 200g system. I remember when I paid under $200 for a 400g system. Looking to drop some wattage consumption. I've had a old SWC 230 which I just replaced the pump (laguna 1350). Figure I could just sell this skimmer for $400 /w a new pump. You think it's worth it to move onto the aquamaxx co3? I believe it's 75w vs 27w.

Regarding return pumps. Using a Laguna 2400 from my old system, obviously oversized for this new system using 75w. This thing is reliable which is why I've never changed it. IYO, would swapping this out for a 50w ish Sicce 3.0 really make a differnce in my electricity bill?