PDA

View Full Version : All SPS or mixed with LPS?

ecoooks
01/20/2016, 07:11 PM
Any one have luck with LPS and SPS or is it a better choice to go with one or the other? Was planning on doing a mixed reef with SPS and LPS. Seems to me like it would be a pain having low flow LPS like Torch and Frog Spawn and SPS. Plus that fact that at with Torch and others you have to worry about them stinging everyone.

M007
01/20/2016, 07:42 PM
Any one have luck with LPS and SPS or is it a better choice to go with one or the other? Was planning on doing a mixed reef with SPS and LPS. Seems to me like it would be a pain having low flow LPS like Torch and Frog Spawn and SPS. Plus that fact that at with Torch and others you have to worry about them stinging everyone.

Torches can hold their own in an SPS flow driven tank, just a matter of placing them so they don't sting. Frogs do ok too. Hammers and elegance present a bigger challenge. Favias are most tricky as they extend sweepers that are farther reaching than you might expect.

CoralNerd
01/20/2016, 08:08 PM
I have a frogspaws, favia, and others in my sps tank. You want to keep the lps away from the intensit par, and flow. You have to find the happy medium in nutrients not too low or high. Watch the sweepers like mentioned. It's not hard to do all this. Good luck

ecoooks
01/20/2016, 09:10 PM
Thanks the advice. Trying to really take my time. Like your signature says M007 mixed reef emphasis on SPS. I was planning on starting on the bottom with the LPS and working my way up with SPS.

M007
01/21/2016, 06:09 AM
Thanks the advice. Trying to really take my time. Like your signature says M007 mixed reef emphasis on SPS. I was planning on starting on the bottom with the LPS and working my way up with SPS.

Good plan :thumbsup: