PDA

View Full Version : Setting up Calcium Reactor

jpruitt
01/21/2016, 11:13 PM
Hello all I'm am about to setup my first calcium reactor. Was wondering how much does it effect the ph of the DT. The reason I ask is my tank is already co2 saturated due to living in Texas. Home is sealed tight. I do have the skimmer intake plumbed outside which keeps me at around 8.07 in the day and around 7.96 at night. How much do you think the new reactor will drop this current level.

Not overly concerned due to the ph will do what it wants as long as the tank is doing good I'm fine just kinda curious. And also and tips and trick with calcium reactors would be most appreciated. Thanks.

SoloGarth
01/21/2016, 11:38 PM
It shouldn't drop it much. I'm not sure what my ph would be without my calcium Rx but it generally goes between 8 and 8.2.

Having a candle burning in the room has a greater effect on depressing pH IMO.

jpruitt
01/22/2016, 12:50 AM
Thanks. Just heard a few people saying it would drop it by .2 or so. I'm assuming their demand might by pretty great and pushing a lot of effluent.

ca1ore
01/22/2016, 07:00 AM
As long as you have plenty of water movement in your tank, and dial in the reactor to balance CO2/effluent rate, you should see a negligible change.

SoloGarth
01/22/2016, 09:37 AM
The drop in pH is due to excess CO2 making it into the tank. It is pretty easy to fix this by using strong aeration near the effluent or a second effluent stage to the Rx.

Texas Paul
01/22/2016, 11:48 AM
The drop in pH is due to excess CO2 making it into the tank. It is pretty easy to fix this by using strong aeration near the effluent or a second effluent stage to the Rx.

+1 on either method. Putting a second reactor full of media will help scrub out the primary reactor effluent. It is nothing more than a regular upflow reactor with the effluent from the primary reactor feeding it. No CO2 injection or circulation pump for the secondary reactor.

Good Reefkeeping article here that addresses this:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/sh/feature/