PDA

View Full Version : Anemone first?

Fishmas
01/22/2016, 09:32 AM
I am setting up tank from scratch. Cycling dry rock underway. I am looking to have a tank with anemones and anemone fish.

If my cycling of the tank is not rushed can i start with an anemone and some clowns. [After CUC of course.]

I have read that letting anemone find its favorite spot with nothing in its way and then plant softies around it can be a good strategy.

Do i really need to wait a year for my water to be ready for a BTA.?

Also where is a good location to release a BTA? Half way up rockscape? Down low and let them move up?

Dkuhlmann
01/22/2016, 11:02 AM
You don't need any more than one pair of clowns in your tank. If you want to have many of them along with several anemones then you should look at buying a bunch of baby clowns from a breeder. There are a few of them here on RC, or you can probably get a good deal from your LFS on say a dozen or so. This is about the only way it will work out and you still could have problems down the road once the pairs start spawning.

m0nkie
01/22/2016, 11:28 AM
It will be safer to wait around 6 months. If you are an experienced reefer, you can get away with it earlier. The longer u wait the more stable your tank becomes. You also need time to learn your equipment.

Keep nitrate low and keep the anemone on the bottom. Less light. Put the foot in between rock crevices. They will move to their spot

I got my first one around 4 months after cycle. It did fine. Try to find an established nem from a local reefer, they will do better than newly store imports

Fishmas
01/22/2016, 12:47 PM
One set of clowns would be fine. I just wanted to have a variety of anemones. I will be looking for some other peaceful reef fish like cardinals maybe a dwarf flame angel. Are there any fish to keep out of an anemone tank? Are urchins fine with anemones?

I will add my cuc after cycle and wait a couple months to begin stocking tank.

D-Nak
01/22/2016, 05:45 PM
One set of clowns would be fine. I just wanted to have a variety of anemones. I will be looking for some other peaceful reef fish like cardinals maybe a dwarf flame angel. Are there any fish to keep out of an anemone tank? Are urchins fine with anemones?

I will add my cuc after cycle and wait a couple months to begin stocking tank.

Angels -- both regular and pygmy -- may nip at anemones. I avoid them in my nem tanks, but other reefers have angels that don't harm their nems at all. If you really want an angel in your tank, look at the Genicanthus species first as they prefer eating from the water column. Butterflies should be avoided for the same reason.

Fish without swim bladders -- hawkfish, blennies, etc. -- may become food for your nem if they accidentally swim into them.

I have urchins with my nems and haven't found any issues. However, if your tank is acrylic, they may scratch the tank with their teeth, especially if they are trying to scrape off coralline algae.