PDA

View Full Version : Help if u can

GoogleEyes
01/22/2016, 07:44 PM
I am kind of ignorant on alot of these aquarium things and need some help. First I am on a budget. I have 2 questions. Ok i have a 60 gallon that i am doing a fowlr. the tank is 48" long, 13" wide and 24" tall. it has stock lights on it and i want a marine look. my son really loces the really blue look so my question is this. should i got with a cheaper type led or a dual bulb t5? ok i feel really stupid on this one but here goes. i see the spray bars and inlet tubes that make current but can i use some type of external type pump sense i dont have a canister or sump or anything?

Any help is greatle appreciated,
Thanks,
MARK

Maritimer
01/22/2016, 08:11 PM
Hi, Mark - and Welcome!

You can use an external pump - lots of folks do - but it can be a bit more difficult to make it look good, run well and remain safe. (Salt water, wall-to-wall carpet, wood floors and electricity can be good neighbors ... or sometimes, not so much!)

I've got one of the "Mars Aqua" Chinese "Black Box" LED units over my 65gallon. The footprint on my tank is a bit shorter/wider than it is on your 60, so this may not be ideal for you, but the price isn't bad for the level of lighting. For a FOWLR, you could probably go with the sort of twin-tube T-5 fixture you'll find at your LFS, and get by just fine. An actinic tube will give you that blue look that'll make you your son's hero. (^_^) Some of them even come with a couple of deep blue LED "moonlights" for another level of effect. (Do keep in mind that some fish will look very different under blue lights! My little royal gramma still glows with violet on his front half - but the yellow back half goes dark under blue light!)

~Bruce

GoogleEyes
01/22/2016, 09:03 PM
thanks for your help bud!