PDA

View Full Version : Peppermint Shrimp Gone Crazy on BTA

therealkilo
01/22/2016, 09:09 PM
Big Friday night over here.

Sooo, I finally caught my Peppermint Shrimp eating and pecking away at my BTA.

I always wondered why my BTA hid and tucked himself against the glass in between a rock and the corner. I finally turned the rock around so he was exposed. Within 5 minutes, the Peppermint Shrimp was literately taking chunks out of him. I think he's been doing this for awhile now.

Anywho. Got the Peppermint Shrimp out of the DT.

Here is a picture of the BTA. Will this thing come back? Is it dying? It looks like it's been to H3ll and back. If you need a better picture let me know.

Looking for advice on how resilient BTAs are. Please advise. Thanks!

http://www.ioutm.com/img/anen.jpg

kcinnick
01/22/2016, 09:36 PM
I don't consider peppermint shrimp reef safe.

akida
01/23/2016, 12:51 PM
^^ I agree they're not reef safe and WILL eat your nems if it wants too, which they usually do. BTA's are the most resilient anemones in the hobby in my opinion and that guy will definitely heal as long as your water chemistry is proper.

m0nkie
01/23/2016, 01:10 PM
http://www.ioutm.com/img/anen.jpg

I don't see any "chunks" missing on this picture. looks like it's been expelling zoo for quite some time. Mouth gaping with tentacles shortened.. seems more like a sick BTA to me and the shrimp was eating whatever it was expelling

I've seen my shrimps steal from BTA, but never eat an BTA. I've seen hermit crabs chop BTAs.. and you'll see deflated tentacles floating around.

i agree this is easily treatable. prepare some cipro incase it continue to expell

therealkilo
01/23/2016, 03:37 PM
That is great to hear that they are resilient.

Yeah the shrimp... idk. It looked like it was attacking him and taking small chunks out of him. Either way, no more shrimp after reading about them. I swear it was also eating some snails and hermits too.

What is cipro and what do I do? He isn't expelling anything any more. There is however, some stringy/gooey stuff hanging off.

I will try to get another picture and post.

Thanks everyone.

m0nkie
01/23/2016, 03:56 PM
stringy gooey stuff hanging off of where? the mouth? or tentacles? color?

cipro is anti-bacterial medicine. read the stickies up top. it's for treatment.